Detroit's Department of D.I.Y.

wkmac

One of the surprising things about Detroit's descent toward insolvency — so dire that a state-appointed emergency manager recently arrived to take over — is that public services haven't collapsed as completely as some might have expected.
But that's not because city departments are functioning as usual. They're not. Instead, a growing collection of volunteers, some affluent, some just average guys riding their Toros, are trying to pick up some services that local government can't provide.
Detroit's Department of D.I.Y. is either the most heartwarming or humiliating reflection of its distress, but the volunteers insist it shows their refusal to give up on the place where they live.
"When the system fails us, you have to become the system," said Mitch Logan, a 48-year-old film producer who is part of a self-dubbed "Mower Gang" that mows neighborhood parks after they've finished their own yards.

For some Detroit services, call the D.I.Y. Dept.

wkmac

Yeah, without the state around, don't we great unwashed know we are suppose to devolve in horrific creatures like the zombie apocalypse. But then this also answers the great question thrown out to those who advocate a very small or no state at all in that "Who will cut the grass?" I think we have our answer.

I live on a major watershed tributary and because of flooding, a number of homes were bought up, torn down and turned into green space. Local gov't told us they would keep up these lots but you know how those promises go. When in a couple of months of the first year it became obvious so a bunch of us neighbors took over the upkeep, retirees did some incredible landscape work and now these green spaces act as neighborhood social spots that we've been doing this nearly 10 years. We even put in several community food gardens that are working very well. We all laugh when we stand around looking at our work and realizing we missed the memo in regards to the tragedy of the commons!
:wink2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yeah, without the state around, don't we great unwashed know we are suppose to devolve in horrific creatures like the zombie apocalypse. But then this also answers the great question thrown out to those who advocate a very small or no state at all in that "Who will cut the grass?" I think we have our answer.

Furthermore, lawn grass is not natural and should not be included in greenspace.
I like the idea of community gardens.

I'm working on converting my inherited lawn into a natural state.

wkmac

Furthermore, lawn grass is not natural and should not be included in greenspace.
I like the idea of community gardens.

I'm working on converting my inherited lawn into a natural state.

Check out permaculture. I've become a huge fan. And I agree about lawns completely.