DFW **NIGHT** ramp/hub operation closing!!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
??? I don't get it? What did Drewed say? I've read it over & over & don't get the problem.

OP is upset - hell, we're all scared about our job, the ecomomy. But if you only want fluffy, fairy-tale replies to your posts, maybe you should said so in the original posts.

Me? I prefer no gloss.

drewed

Shankman
Im not trying to backtrack I stand by my original statement, the situation is :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, the union doesnt have much wiggle room with it and if he doesnt get laid off fully he should be happy not want the union to fight a fight they cant and wont win.

As with the 22.3s from BFI Im completely honest about it, you cant get mad at me for telling the guy the truth.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
??? I don't get it? What did Drewed say? I've read it over & over & don't get the problem.

OP is upset - hell, we're all scared about our job, the ecomomy. But if you only want fluffy, fairy-tale replies to your posts, maybe you should said so in the original posts.

Me? I prefer no gloss.

As always , Drewed was wrong in speaking of something he has no clue about - and did so in a brash and condencending way. Double negative! :sick:

It's not tough cookies, so to speak, for the thread author. It might be tough cookies tough, for the person that he or she bumps where the work was moved to!

Hawaii50

Our P/T friend/T managers called a meeting of all employees middle of the sort this morning November 26, 2008 and informed us of the intention of the company to close the NIGHT ramp/hub operation On February 8, 2009:speechless: No more explanation than that outside of the regular please the share holder words like streamline and positioning for success. Very little in the contract discusses a closure like this so many of us are apprehensive of our futures with UPS. Of course all shift transfers are not going to be considered.

At this time all I can say is the union better be standing on this issue and negotiate a good deal for us. I don't want some "fair" deal. I want a good for us deal. I would like to see the southern region open to us for jobs. I would guess there are 200+ people on this shift and 30 of those people are full time combos. If I move outside of the district (200 mile radius) I lose seniority with the sort but if in the district I keep my sort seniority. The company is forcing me to completely change my lifestyle so letting me have many choices is important to me. With 12 years in I feel like I am at least owed that. Go any where in the southern region if there is a job for me.

Questions, How big was the DFW ramp op? and the HUB op?

If they are shutdown a big Ramp/Hub op? bussiness must be terrible.

drewed

Shankman
As always , Drewed was wrong in speaking of something he has no clue about - and did so in a brash and condencending way. Double negative! :sick:

It's not tough cookies, so to speak, for the thread author. It might be tough cookies tough, for the person that he or she bumps where the work was moved to!

Question, is it better to have a job then no job? If your job is threatened do you make demands? or do you take what you can get?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Question, is it better to have a job then no job? If your job is threatened do you make demands? or do you take what you can get?

Absolutely in this case that (1) it is better to have a job than no job, and (2) if my job is threatened will make demands.

I didn't hear any demands other than what was in the contract anyways. Did you? You didn't know the contract evidently , that was the whole point I and others made against you.

Therefore, I demand that the working contract is upheld.

drewed

Shankman
Absolutely in this case that (1) it is better to have a job than no job, and (2) if my job is threatened will make demands.

I didn't hear any demands other than what was in the contract anyways. Did you? You didn't know the contract evidently , that was the whole point I and others made against you.

Therefore, I demand that the working contract is upheld.

My point is UPS did what it had to do give 45 days notice of change of operations so that being said they could lay off what shift they needed to, I agree the contract should be upheld thats a fair deal, the OP felt because they had their time in they were entitled to a good deal something more then the contract states

I'mTheMan

I want to tell you that we're the same boat as you guys are experiencing as since Aug 1st, the Boeing Field managers has layoff/terminated 31 combo full timers without notice and it was a cold blown call on last minute. UPS has never written a 45 days notice and union has filed grievance and first panel is deadlocked and will go to 2nd western supplemental grievance in January 29th, 2009. It might be deadlocked as well and go to national panel in February 2009 and go from there. So the Boeing Field kept 16 22.3 full timers for one month till Sept 6th of 2008 was their last day and Sept 9th, it was night sort closed for good till last week, it re-opened it to part timers only due to increased peak volume for 2 days and 3 days service only. Right now UPS is still in discussion that they might keep night sort open after peak due to late arrival trailers from local hubs and it was supposed to be in Boeing Field by 3 am each morning but arrived late and aircraft been going out late daily as well. So union is asking the panel to restore the jobs to Boeing field for full timers 22.3 due to no 45 days letter were never written and plus back pay and full time benefits too. It may takes time but like I said as CAE and DFW have got their feeling since BFI were first to be closed night sort. I guess UPS followed Boeing field footstep as well. That's all I can tell you.

drewed

Shankman
You cant have jobs if the business isnt there, its not the same as BFI, they gave notice, and you wont be getting your ft jobs back at BFI because the business isnt there.

I feel for you guys but sometimes you have to see the finality and actuality of the situation, the union cant pull you out of this.

sdf6hr2

It's just the NDA Sort operations that are being relocated to Worldport indefinitely. The release leaves the room open for that volume to be moved back if volume picks up again to warrant it.

not a peep about this happening at sdf. i'm sure contingency & i.e. are working behind the scenes but, a little heads up to the loaders and rampers whose volume is about to skyrocket would be nice.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand everything I know about the DFW night sort, ramp/hub, yadda yadda. So I need some education.

Will this change completely close down the DFW operations?
Where will the NDA normally sorted at DFW be moved too?
Is there anything at DFW besides NDA night sort, is there a day sort?
What, where is World Port?

BrownSuit

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand everything I know about the DFW night sort, ramp/hub, yadda yadda. So I need some education.

NO

WorldPort

Same Question - World Port

It's just the NDA Sort, all other sorts, Day, Twilight, Night, etc, they are all going to remain. There will be a decrease in volume with the NDA Volume being moved. All other services will continue to be processed through those facilities.

Louisville, KY

It's where almost all International Volume moves through and a great deal of air volume. In this case volume from two regional air hubs is being moved indefinitely there.

nhguy

Nobody should be surprised at any airport, hub or sort closings. This economy has hit a deep low and the volume just isn't there. I have no concrete info to make this statement, but it is my feeling that you will see reductions in the number of regions, the number of districts, the number of gateways, and the closing of various hub sorts that are not needed at this time.
I believe there will be layoffs after peak. This company is not going to run ineffecient sorts and fly aircraft with no volume on them. It could be a unique year for all UPSERS in 2009.
I will be doing my part by retiring in January 2009.

"Remember the big fish always eats the little ones"

outta hours

I know that they have a night, sunrise,day,and twilight sort as well. I don't think this move will be shutting down their night sort. They run a lot of volume during all of these sorts. I am not exactly sure what the ramp sort does. I take/pull lots of loads from there and it always looks busy to me.

And World Port is in Louisville.

stringerman85

You cant have jobs if the business isnt there, its not the same as BFI, they gave notice, and you wont be getting your ft jobs back at BFI because the business isnt there.

I feel for you guys but sometimes you have to see the finality and actuality of the situation, the union cant pull you out of this.

Well said, When you get laid off, I guess we won't worry about you :wink2: Damn, You have nobody to back you up either, Do you think UPS is really going to give a crap about you? You're just a supervisor. I guess it will be reality then :happy-very: Don't come crying on here

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well said, When you get laid off, I guess we won't worry about you :wink2: Damn, You have nobody to back you up either, Do you think UPS is really going to give a crap about you? You're just a supervisor. I guess it will be reality then :happy-very: Don't come crying on here

You know that he would never come on here and admit a layoff. That would forever bruise his typical over-the-top UPS self important supervisor ego. Sad but we all know that is the truth.

UPS Lifer

Well yea but in the economy not many people are willing to give up a job even if its pt...and we re not creating new jobs either

My wife and I went to Maui 2 weeks after the WTC went down in Sept 2001. Nobody was traveling. Approx. 90% of the employees were laid off within the first week. It took awhile before the tourist economy came back.

Prior to 9/11 the employees would bad mouth the "mainlanders". Granted, they have a good reason! But since 9/11 they realized how lucky they are that the tourist economy has bounced back. Without the tourists, the state of Hawaii goes under! You do not hear any complaining from the Hawaiians anymore!

You do not realize what you have until you lose it! Many businesses and unions have had to fold because of Greed! Don't fall victim to it.

combogirl

It is a guess but I think about 55-60 combos will be affected and 250-300 p/t employees. The entire night hub and ramp. Many combos called the union the morning we heard and our business agent ***** ********* was telling people that the combos have nothing to worry about. It seems he is blowing alot of smoke seeing that he has not even met with UPS re: this as of yet. Instead of night/sunrise shift, it seems they should be able to place us on sunrise/day or day/twilight. All we can do as of now is wait until the so called meeting happens and then keep in close contact with the union as to what is being discussed. DFW employees have no faith in our local 767 or our agent. PRAY FOR US.

Last edited by a moderator: