DFW **NIGHT** ramp/hub operation closing!!

airbusfxr

The company has put alot of thought in these shutdowns. There are so many ways to fly aircraft to smaller gateways thru SDF that more of the DEC gateways will happen. With DFW, CAE, and DEC being the first to fall, I wonder if UPS just wanted to see if there would be an uprising by pilot and mechanic unions. The pilots and mechanics both have contracts that have many rules regulating gateway shutdown provisions. Even though few pilots will be affected and only a few aircraft mechanics will have to bump into other gateways, they big problem will be for all the hub and ramp workers with no where to go along with associated management. The downturn in the economy will lead to layoffs and gateway reductions, even with DHL's business.

I'mTheMan

I never said the BFI 22.3s got 45 day notice i said the DFW did and therefore that part of your grievance wouldnt apply here

Drewed, I apologize for misunderstanding in the post that was thread in the issue. Even though, I would agree that grievance wouldn't apply to DFW but it has applied for BFI for without 45 days notice issue. :)

I'mTheMan

I went back and re-read the thread and the post from string was not for you. It was a reply to Drewed who seems to have forgotten or misplaced whatever people skills he may have had in his replies to this thread. He has forgotten that there are people behind the numbers that are being displaced, people that must get on with their lives and people who could use a shoulder to lean on, not a foot to push them out the door.

Once again, I apologize for any thread misunderstanding.

I'mTheMan

Really drewed? Several years back ups closed down the air cargo operation here at O'Hare. Every one of our 22.3 employees transferred to other buildings within our local as 22.3s and were dovetailed in seniority.

It would be better for you to speak on things that you only know!

So here's to never hearing from you again!

705sred, question to ask you.... Even today, does O'Hare still have 22.3 out there or just all part timers now? As I remember the news came out few years ago that they were reducing UPS flight from ORD and redirect it to RFD? I know RFD and SDF have highest numbers 22.3 out there, am I correct?

8up

over the years operations everywhere have expanded and contracted due to the volume. there wasn't always an operation for these regional air sorts. all of the volume use to go to Louisville. i would think that with the constant employee turnover at UPS that there will be a job at another facility in the vicinity, most likely a ground package operation and that everyone will have an opportunity to fill one of those positions. granted it may not be exactly what you want, rest assured that someone (even if its someone off the street) will take up the next available job opening. best of luck and good fortune to all who are in this situation at this time.

705red

Browncafe Steward
705sred, question to ask you.... Even today, does O'Hare still have 22.3 out there or just all part timers now? As I remember the news came out few years ago that they were reducing UPS flight from ORD and redirect it to RFD? I know RFD and SDF have highest numbers 22.3 out there, am I correct?
I believe they have a handful of 22.3s probably 3 or 4 left. The work was transferred to Rockford which is under 710s jurisdiction, so our 22.3s opted to dovetail in the barns around here instead of transferring that far.

Not sure how many 22.3s are at Rockford but it is a huge ups operation there, i believe its the 2nd day air sort hub.

I started at o'hare and miss working the ramp every time i think about it, but i do not miss that cold wind smacking you in the face as your operating the k loader!

bears2

not a peep about this happening at sdf. i'm sure contingency & i.e. are working behind the scenes but, a little heads up to the loaders and rampers whose volume is about to skyrocket would be nice.

I work at worldport also. While we havent gotten any "PCM" on any ups plans its kind of obvious with the new wings opening up in the past couple months and the ramps expanding to allow for i would guess 10-15 more planes that ups's plans all along were to divert volume to worldport . No way i see ups spending 3-4 billions dollars more to just have a pretty building. pull em in,unload em, sort em,load em an take off. it can be done so fast at worldport i have to believe this was the plan all along. I am sure ups monitors the economy an tries to tighten up where they can sometimes, but i think some of these hubs are closing or getting smaller only because worldport got massive.

drewed

Shankman
I work at worldport also. While we havent gotten any "PCM" on any ups plans its kind of obvious with the new wings opening up in the past couple months and the ramps expanding to allow for i would guess 10-15 more planes that ups's plans all along were to divert volume to worldport . No way i see ups spending 3-4 billions dollars more to just have a pretty building. pull em in,unload em, sort em,load em an take off. it can be done so fast at worldport i have to believe this was the plan all along. I am sure ups monitors the economy an tries to tighten up where they can sometimes, but i think some of these hubs are closing or getting smaller only because worldport got massive.

Theres one problem with putting all your eggs in one basket, wasnt it around feb last year when world port got snowed out? The reason we need to have mutiple hiubs/gateways is because stuff happens and most of the are spaced far enough apart where severe weather may effect one or two of them but not all of them. UPS has a strong network of air hubs (SDF, DFW, ONT, RFD, Phily, and miami/jacksonville) if you take out one of them its like losing a limb could you survive? yes but lifes going to be hard without it.

drewed

Shankman
I started at o'hare and miss working the ramp every time i think about it, but i do not miss that cold wind smacking you in the face as your operating the k loader!

You know Red, I never thought of you as a ramper, helps me understand you a little better now lol

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have done every job on the ramp from the bypass, to k loaders, de icing the air planes, wing walking, tug driver and every job in the building. 5 years at the airport and it was easy to get bored, you sit and wait for the work, but once the work gets there your moving fast. I have worked all 3 :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:s, the am started about 2am, the pm started at 7pm and air cargo started at 11pm. I hated those old 747s, none of the equipment ever worked right on the inside.

drewed

Shankman
I have done every job on the ramp from the bypass, to k loaders, de icing the air planes, wing walking, tug driver and every job in the building. 5 years at the airport and it was easy to get bored, you sit and wait for the work, but once the work gets there your moving fast. I have worked all 3 :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:s, the am started about 2am, the pm started at 7pm and air cargo started at 11pm. I hated those old 747s, none of the equipment ever worked right on the inside.

Haha dont worry theyre retiring those at the begining of the year.....but the new ones arent much better haha

I'mTheMan

I believe they have a handful of 22.3s probably 3 or 4 left. The work was transferred to Rockford which is under 710s jurisdiction, so our 22.3s opted to dovetail in the barns around here instead of transferring that far.

Not sure how many 22.3s are at Rockford but it is a huge ups operation there, i believe its the 2nd day air sort hub.

Well that sounds about right except I didn't do the k-loader though but I have been thru 6 years of push and pull containers to and from aircraft. I also even to push backs too. It's not too bad but can't imagine how big belly that can be seen during push on 747's and MD-11's. Besides I love spraying de-ice on the planes and it's cool and fun to do with. Kind of remind me to wash my car too. :) I believe that RFD serve NDA, 2DA,3DA, and international volumes as well. However, since my layoff from BFI, I still drive by everyday and I do think about it how it goes without me there and working back in hub in part time still gets me a distraction. It's kind of nice to stay in Hub for a short time to stay warm but never know if I have ever made it to do peak volume stuffs yet. You still working over at ORD or were you sent back to hub force you to part time?

I'mTheMan

You know Red, I never thought of you as a ramper, helps me understand you a little better now lol

Being a ramper shows a real job that would be with working around the aircraft. It builds you with experience and it is like an adventure to do this type of a job thing. :) Someday I am going to tell my kids about what Ramper is looked like and how it work and done. Here to there.:)

airbusfxr

I saw the Network Planning charts today and there are many changes both domestic and international. Some changes are equipment and some are actual flight scheldules reroutes. Good luck to those who will be layed off and hopefully your contract lets you "follow your work".