Dhl at their best

Channahon

Press Release
In reading this article, looks to me like DHL is here to stay in the US. I also didn't know their workforce is as large as it is, and their revenues are too shabby either. Although I have never looked their quaterly report.

DHL AND WALGREENS PARTNER TO PROVIDE THE MOST CONVENIENT AND ACCESSIBLE SHIPPING EXPERIENCE IN EXPRESS DELIVERY INDUSTRYPlantation, Fla. -- January 9, 2008 - Agreement Is a Major Step in DHL's Retail Strategy to Reach Small and Mid-Size Businesses as Well as Consumers
- DHL Express Services to be Available at Retail Outlets Nationally
- More than Doubles the DHL U.S. Retail Presence in 2008

DHL, the world's leading express delivery and logistics company, has entered into a strategic agreement with Walgreens (NYSE, NASDAQ: WAG), the nation's largest drugstore chain, which will more than double the number of retail outlets offering DHL Express shipping services nationally. Walgreens is projected to expand to more than 6,500 locations by the end of 2008 with more than 1,600 stores open 24 hours a day. The Walgreens/DHL agreement brings an unprecedented strategic retail partnership to the express delivery industry with the highest level of convenience and accessibility for small businesses and consumers.

The new agreement is designed to readily service shippers sending and dropping off their packages via DHL for overnight, ground or international delivery. The DHL Shipping Spot will be staffed by Walgreens associates at Walgreens photo counters to weigh, label and ship customer packages to U.S. or international destinations, creating a simple and easy shipping experience.

"DHL's success partnering with a retailer to offer in-store shipping services has proven that American businesses and consumers want the convenience of shipping where they shop, and Walgreens is the perfect partner," said Hans Hickler, CEO of DHL Express (USA). "Expanding DHL's retail presence is an important next step in our U.S. retail strategy, as well as our small to mid-size business growth plans. The combination of shipping within the corner drugstore environment on a national basis is unprecedented and allows both DHL and Walgreens to provide even more convenience to customers in unparalleled ways," continued Hickler.

Walgreens customers will have access to DHL's core express products and services. Shippers will benefit from the convenience of a DHL location "down the street" and "around the corner" that provides access to a global shipping network serving over 225 countries and territories.

"We've seen strong customer response to DHL in-store shipping in test markets," said Walgreens Executive Vice President of Marketing George Riedl. "The service addresses an important need for our time-crunched customer base. This new offering will be another powerful addition to our overall strategy of making life easier for customers."

By end of 2008, DHL will have more than doubled its retail presence with retail shipping locations, including Walgreens and OfficeMax locations, as well as thousands of independently owned and operated shipping centers that are part of the DHL Authorized Shipping Center network.

About DHL
At DHL, Customer Service is back in shipping. Our mission is to provide the most flexible, personable and enjoyable experience in the shipping industry for our customers.

DHL is the global market leader of the international express and logistics industry, specializing in providing innovative and customized solutions from a single source. DHL offers expertise in express, air and ocean freight, overland transport, contract logistic solutions as well as international mail services, combined with worldwide coverage and an in-depth understanding of local markets. DHL's international network links more than 225 countries and territories worldwide with over 300,000 employees dedicated to providing fast and reliable services that exceed customers' expectations.

Founded in San Francisco in 1969, DHL is a Deutsche Post World Net brand. The group generated worldwide revenues of $80 billion in 2006.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
they are aiming to improve customer service? it took them a week to get me 2 different items from louisville to buffalo (and i ordered 2nd day air). It takes us 2 days to ship it from louisville to buffalo (trust me i've unloaded and loaded trucks for louisville full with 2nd day air stuff and 3 day select). work on making commitments then we'll talk about the rest.

DHL was shipping major amounts of ground back east on their planes, many of our customers realized this and their stuff was making it 2 to 3 days ahead of ours...but as you all know cant do that for very long and it finally ended up stopping. For fedex ground being around now for over 10 years, they really havent shaped up very well. If anything, many of the original RPS guys who were pretty dedicated have left and then the riff raff have come in. Come-on, I believe a good percentage of fedex ground volume has been from their own express side of the company. As I stated in another post, there are those at ups that have been stating that the sky is falling for years because of the post office, yet I CONTINUE to see new basic accounts that have been EXCLUSIVE usps accounts that are now ups....there are dozens."Fedex express is eating our business", bla, bla, bla, but every quarter our air, and international continue to grow by double digit numbers. Even though DHL, and fedex ground are out there, our ground volume continues to grow...yes, I know many say that is not true as fedex has had quarters of double digit growth and that has to be comming from somewhere. SO, explain to me how we continue to see growth in ground quarter after quarter...look it up. Mgt uses these as scare tactics....and personally they really do not care about competition issues, they really do not. Well heres an idea, treat your employees with a little bit of dignity and respect and you might be surprised at what might happen. Ups could be the only shipping company out there and there would still be people that would say that we are going out of business...sorry, just not true.

Very good points Cold. They push constantly for more volume development because that's just what corporations do. They wouldn't be happy till everyone else is out of business. We get the " contact lead" PCM at least twice a week, with side mentions everyday. As a swing driver I'm usually not at a place enough to know if they are truly prospective shippers or not. I figure if the regular driver hasn't submitted them, there is a reason. When UP$ finally decides to change a few things where we can make day as well as time commitments I will start doing a little better on leads. We don't have enough people on road daily to do the job right as it is.

mikeb

tnbrown
The main thing that seperates UPS from DHL is the professionalism of its drivers. Everytime I see a DHL driver he looks like he just got out of bed. Unshaven, long and/or messy hair, tattoos, uniform is dredful, etc. I guess Walgreens would rather have trailer trash picking up its packages than a professional, friendly UPS driver

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
DHL van?

what time did you order the pizza?

DHL drivers aren't like Home Delivery because they don't own thier own route therefore I see it hard for one to drive up in a company van.

Since my 9.5 is 7:20, and I'm usually home by 7:45 I'm guessing it was around 8:30 pm....no BS. My wife thought it was retty funny as well, since the pizza place is about 3 miles away.

Sukmydiad

Iowa Hawkeye fan
Our local DHL guys are lard a$$es that even our management could run circles around. They are blue jean wearin, tattooed freaks. They dont have keys to the businesses like we do.

Sukmydiad

Iowa Hawkeye fan
Many small shippers that dont have normal hours give us keys. Businesses that dont have offices or people at office large portion of day. Many ups guys from all over have keys to businesses.

govols019

You smell that?
I've had businesses try to give me keys before and I always politely refuse.

That's a can of worms I don't want to open. If they aren't there when I attempt to deliver then I'll try again tomorrow.

satellitedriver

We have a level of trust with our customers that our competition does not share.
Being a rural driver, I have security codes and keys to peoples homes.
For business's that will not have anyone there, we have "card on file".( basically a full time SDN)
Yes, I sign for packages, but I always sign my name and a LA of my home address.
My customers trust me and I trust them.
Never in my years have I had a problem doing it this way.
PAX

rod

Retired 22 years
We have a level of trust with our customers that our competition does not share.
Being a rural driver, I have security codes and keys to peoples homes.
For business's that will not have anyone there, we have "card on file".( basically a full time SDN)
Yes, I sign for packages, but I always sign my name and a LA of my home address.
My customers trust me and I trust them.
Never in my years have I had a problem doing it this way.
PAX
Glad to see your system is working for you but I will warn you that when something does go wrong having your name signed will come back to haunt you. Both the customer and UPS will be on you like stink on you know what. It's amazing how someone you think of as a friend (ie your customer) will turn on you in a heartbeat if they feel that things aren't going their way. I've been down this road. It isn't worth it.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
That's awesome :surprised: :happy-very: I mean we get treated like the pizza delivery guy most of the time, but when I saw this in front of my house, that just took the cake.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I've seen the DHL driver several times with his son in the van with him. Kid looked about five years old. They must not pay enough for child care or else he babysits while he drives to make two incomes.