DHL cuts more jobs

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
dhl has their contract, ups has their contract. pepsi has their own contract. would you be worried if pepsi laid off their work force? contracts don't mix.

Last edited:

zeus2ez

DHL is not evacuating the USA completely, "International package deliveries, which DHL says it will keep as it cuts its American operations from a $5 billion business, to one worth less than $1 billion." But who would consider using them after what they have done to the American Workers they betrayed and devasted?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DHL is not evacuating the USA completely, "International package deliveries, which DHL says it will keep as it cuts its American operations from a $5 billion business, to one worth less than $1 billion." But who would consider using them after what they have done to the American Workers they betrayed and devasted?

You would be surprised. A lot of businesses consider the bottom line to be the most important factor in choosing how to ship their pkgs.

evilleace

With money being tight people choose what is cheapest and DHL is cheaper even though the service may not be as good some people will still choose them.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

DHL is getting rid of USA Domestic, which they are poor at, and not competitive.

DHL will continue to deliver international, which they are the best price out there.

As a person who receives shipments from asia on a daily basis, asian companies don't even CONSIDER UPS to ship their packages, it is always DHL or TNT.

I've never received an order from Asia via UPS, always DHL. When I set up the shipments myself, I cannot get UPS to show up to pick up packages in China. This post is NO BS.

Outside of the US, it is DHL that companies use.

Oh, and the point I wanted to make was, why keep a 5 billion dollar company that loses a $500,000,000 per year when you can trim it down to a Billion dollar a year company that makes a profit?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...But who would consider using them after what they have done to the American Workers they betrayed and devasted?

I do not know the figure as a fact, but my guess is that DHL never considered the US market as a major part of their business - not even in the top 10.

Who would consider using them? All the international shippers that use them now.

pkgdriver

Q: How big a priority is DHL in the U.S. for you?
A: In such a big group we have several priorities. We had the IPO of Postbank [Deutsche Post's retail banking unit in Germany], and Asia is a very attractive and strong growth area. In Europe, we're integrating heavily in several key countries like Italy, the U.K., [and] France. The U.S. is one of these priorities, it's in this class.

Lots of good reading out there 20 Plus. The Search Function is your friend.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_48/b3910115_mz017.htm
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_48/b3910118_mz017.htm

mikestrek

(CNN) -- Residents in Wilmington, Ohio, knew DHL was going to cut jobs, but Monday's confirmation that the company's hub there is going to close has delivered a devastating blow to the community.
art.wadsworth.dhl.cnn.jpg
Fred Wadsworth, one of 8,000 employees facing layoff, says he doesn't know how he'll put food on his table.

DHL, which is the largest employer in the area, announced it will be closing the hub and taking thousands of jobs with it.

Fred Wadsworth sat at breakfast Monday after hearing the announcement from DHL. One of more than 8,000 employees facing layoff, he's not sure how he'll put food on his table.

"It's pretty bad," Wadsworth said. "We've been kind of figuring something's gonna happen, and as it stands now, we know that it's gonna shut down."

About 3,000 residents of Wilmington and Clinton County work at the DHL hub, with the rest of the workers coming from five surrounding counties.

Wilmington, which has a population of 12,000, will be dealt the biggest blow in terms of job loss

The town was already reeling from DHL's decision six months ago to have UPS take over the service's domestic air shipping, which put thousands out of work.

"They're taking away everything from me, my family, my friends -- this whole town," DHL employee Sherry Barrett said as she wept during an interview.

Ohio officials were scrambling over the weekend to offset the expected job cuts. Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, sent a letter Friday to DHL Chief Executive Officer John Mullen asking for immediate information about layoffs in the Wilmington area.

According to a statement from his office, Brown also called U.S. Deputy Secretary of Labor Howard Radzely "to seek immediate attention to a state of Ohio request for emergency funds to assist workers and communities affected by DHL's loss in business since announcing a proposed outsourcing agreement with UPS."

Ohio is already grappling with one of the highest jobless rates in the country -- 7.2 percent in September -- and Wilmington Mayor David Razik had prepared himself for the worst.

"Given the state of the economy and the worldwide economic collapse, we know it can't be good news," he said Sunday night. "Freight is down significantly, DHL is losing customers, they have laid off sales personnel in other locations. We really think it's certainly not going to be good for Wilmington."

DHL said its DHL Express unit will continue to operate between the United States and other nations. But the company said it is dropping "domestic-only" air and ground services within the United States by January 30 "to minimize future uncertainties."

DHL's 9,500 job cuts are on top of 5,400 cuts announced in May. After the layoffs, between 3,000 and 4,000 employees will remain at DHL's U.S. operations, the company said. The company also said it is shutting all ground hubs and reducing the number of its U.S. stations to 103 from 412.

President-Elect Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, took note of Wilmington's troubles during the race for the White House. Obama said Wilmington "gives you some sense of the urgency that we feel when it comes to our economy." McCain said he was "deeply troubled by the specter of job loss confronting Wilmington."

"My husband's been there for 19 years and we've been worrying about this -- everybody in this community has," Joy McIntosh said.

Insurance agent Eric Welch is giving up on Wilmington and shutting his business by the end of the week.

"I don't see the long-term future in this community for me as an insurance agent to be very rewarding," said Welch, who is leaving town.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
A: In such a big group we have several priorities. We had the IPO of Postbank [Deutsche Post's retail banking unit in Germany], and Asia is a very attractive and strong growth area. In Europe, we're integrating heavily in several key countries like Italy, the U.K., [and] France. The U.S. is one of these priorities, it's in this class.

You do, of course, realize that you confirmed what I said? They threw the US in at the end to appease the interviewer.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Both articles four years old.:surprised:

The date at the top of the page is your friend.

pkgdriver

Both articles four years old.:surprised:

The date at the top of the page is your friend.

I know the dates of the articles. Your point?

I do not know the figure as a fact, but my guess is that DHL never considered the US market as a major part of their business - not even in the top 10.

4-5 years ago it was a major part of their plan