DHL cuts more jobs

Hangingon

Maybe Congress will stop accusing UPS and DHL of conspiring to take jobs away from middle America now. Seems DHL did that all by themselves.

Channahon

DHL.com has a press release on their website, explaining their new structure, and ending US domestic service as of January 30, 2009.

DHL was always strong in the International arena, and will still service international customers from the US. I'm guessing this is still part of the deal with UPS to fly DHL packages overseas and vice versa.

Great opportunity for UPS to get additional ground volume, so get those sales leads and earn some cash for yourself, during these hard economic times.

browndevil

Another thing to consider is a loss to our pension contributions. It is never good to to teamster job losses, since we are multi employer funded.

hdkappler

since dhl laid off workers,ups has a hard time keeping preloaders.then whenups has openings for parttimers hire ex dhl workers.they might stay around longer.

browndevil

ups shouldn'tbe a multi employer funded.just take care of there own.
I think that was at the crux of the argument when we went on strike in 1997. The teamsters were not going to let go of all that money. It kinda gives them leverage when bargaining employees at non union companies to go union

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
since dhl laid off workers,ups has a hard time keeping preloaders.then whenups has openings for parttimers hire ex dhl workers.they might stay around longer.

UPS can't keep pre-loaders / unloaders because they pay them squat, they don't get insurance for a year, and they are treated like crap.

Since the new contract took effect, McDonalds IS a better option for beginners.

Channahon

Uh, yeah, right. I'll jump right on that.

Whatever - I'm sure Fedex and the Post Office would like to get additional volume during this economy slowdown.

Why bring the new ground volume to UPS? Maybe bring back laid off package and feeder drivers? Maybe make UPS more profitable in this ugly economy?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Kappler this will never happen! Dhl drivers make over $25 an hour to deliver envelopes out of mini vans. You expect them to come and hump for$8.50 unloading and loading boxes?

raceanoncr

Whatever - I'm sure Fedex and the Post Office would like to get additional volume during this economy slowdown.

Why bring the new ground volume to UPS? Maybe bring back laid off package and feeder drivers? Maybe make UPS more profitable in this ugly economy?

That would be nice...in a perfect world! It ain't gonna happen. Here?

The conversation I overheard the other day was between one of our supes and a customer:

"We wish you wouldn't ship so much stuff. We can't handle it here".

Nope. Sorry. Don't have much hope for this company anymore.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
That would be nice...in a perfect world! It ain't gonna happen. Here?

The conversation I overheard the other day was between one of our supes and a customer:

"We wish you wouldn't ship so much stuff. We can't handle it here".

Nope. Sorry. Don't have much hope for this company anymore.

Surely you can't be serious.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Surely you can't be serious.
A correction here, his name is not Shirley
I think he would rather you call him by his name
Raceanoncr
Please don't do this again
Less we have to ban you
Again like we did BBAG.
Never assume we are not watching
Everyone is looking to get you!