DHL cuts more jobs

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Heres an idea from a stupid truck driver that i came up with all on my own!

Since dhl has announced that as of january 30th their employees mean nothing to them, why dont we (ups upper management) offer these dhl drivers moeny for their pick up account info?

If a driver that knows he going to be out of work in the next 8 weeks which most of them will, why not give them $100 per account that they give us?

If these drivers have 15 pickups than thats another $1500 for them to put away while they look for another job. And if you sell half of these acoounts ups would make their money back and than some over the long haul!

Just my two cents!

UPS started months ago but they were after DHL's account sales force. So not much is left for the drivers to offer.

705red

Browncafe Steward
UPS started months ago but they were after DHL's account sales force. So not much is left for the drivers to offer.
Who do the cutomers value more?

Thats like saying our customers would not take our advice if the shoe was on the other foot over our sales reps!

I know Red. I guess I just like to cover all the bases.

I would not like to be in the position of giving away information that was deemed 'classified' by the company that I worked for.

It is, to be sure, a fine line that is drawn in the sand. But, in this day and time I would not want to be on the recieving end of a lawsuit.

Unless your contract has a non-compete clause you can say anything you want.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Unless your contract has a non-compete clause you can say anything you want.
That may be true from a criminal/legal position.

However, that would be more than adequate reason for termination of employment and withholding of non-payroll compensation.

It also would open the offending person to a civil lawsuit to recover damages to the offended party.

That may be true from a criminal/legal position.

However, that would be more than adequate reason for termination of employment and withholding of non-payroll compensation.

It also would open the offending person to a civil lawsuit to recover damages to the offended party.

I thought we were discussing DHL drivers. To the best of my knowledge they don`t have any such language in their contract as neither do we. So if I were let go I would have no problem answering someones question as to who my former customers were and if I was hired by a competitor I would be more than happy to visit them and let them know who their favorite driver worked for.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I thought we were discussing DHL drivers. To the best of my knowledge they don`t have any such language in their contract as neither do we. So if I were let go I would have no problem answering someones question as to who my former customers were and if I was hired by a competitor I would be more than happy to visit them and let them know who their favorite driver worked for.

Sorry, did not catch the point that they were no longer employed by DHL.

NEVERMIND

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Darn! I thought I was everyone's favorite driver. Gotta agree, though. If you ain't paying me anymore I'll sell my limited knowledge to the highest bidder.

BrownSuit

Heres an idea from a stupid truck driver that i came up with all on my own!

Since dhl has announced that as of january 30th their employees mean nothing to them, why dont we (ups upper management) offer these dhl drivers moeny for their pick up account info?

If a driver that knows he going to be out of work in the next 8 weeks which most of them will, why not give them $100 per account that they give us?

If these drivers have 15 pickups than thats another $1500 for them to put away while they look for another job. And if you sell half of these acoounts ups would make their money back and than some over the long haul!

Just my two cents!

As others have mentioned, there are legal/ethical issues involved. We started this with the DHL Salesforce on a contractual basis. I imagine that Corporate legal tiptoed around this one and covered every possible angle.

If there was a non-compete, as was mentioned earlier, DHL could pursue it in civil litigation even though the employee no longer works for them. It would make sense for them to want to Bankrupt their employees given how they've treated them thus far.

Also, from what I've heard and seen, the drivers do not measure up to the standards that we would expect from our own. We would be doing the customer's a disservice by offering them service from a former DHL Driver.

We would further be doing our employees a disservice by providing any financial incentive to former DHL Drivers while some of our own are on inside jobs or limited hours because of volume.

Red, I'm honestly surprised that you of all people would be in favor of giving any kind of money to former DHL Drivers when UPS Drivers in your local aren't getting Full Time hours.

Let's give out that money for DHL accounts, but let's give it in the form of AMEX cards for Sales Leads to our own drivers.

I feel for these guys that are out of work, but honestly they started working for a company whose whole mantra was low-cost and whose independent contractor model at one point mirrored that of RPS/FedEx Ground. Doesn't sound very pro-employee to me.

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
As others have mentioned, there are legal/ethical issues involved. We started this with the DHL Salesforce on a contractual basis. I imagine that Corporate legal tiptoed around this one and covered every possible angle.

Dhl is telling the customers they will not service them, its not the drivers. I wouldnt put to many eggs in a basket because corporate legal said too.

If there was a non-compete, as was mentioned earlier, DHL could pursue it in civil litigation even though the employee no longer works for them. It would make sense for them to want to Bankrupt their employees given how they've treated them thus far.

Also, from what I've heard and seen, the drivers do not measure up to the standards that we would expect from our own. We would be doing the customer's a disservice by offering them service from a former DHL Driver.

No one said the old dhl driver would be servicing the customer, all i said is offer some sort of incentive to get their pick up records so we can get a foot in the door. It beats the idea of sending out our sales force to follow the trucks and than walk into a customer not knowing their needs.

We would further be doing our employees a disservice by providing any financial incentive to former DHL Drivers while some of our own are on inside jobs or limited hours because of volume.

Your already doing the employees a disservice by working all the drivers excessively while you cut routes. Its an idea from a stupid truck driver that services the customers on a daily basis. Go ahead with your plans that were created by number pushers with pocket protectors, but dont cry when fedex gaiins 60, 70 or even 80% of that business.

Red, I'm honestly surprised that you of all people would be in favor of giving any kind of money to former DHL Drivers when UPS Drivers in your local aren't getting Full Time hours.

Some times you have to give a little to get a little! I might have to wash some dishes, take out the garbage, clean the guinea pigs cage you know go the extra mile to get what i need from the wifey. Desperate times call for desperate measures...im working on sup working grievances to get some of these brothers paid a little extra in their time of need.:happy-very:

Let's give out that money for DHL accounts, but let's give it in the form of AMEX cards for Sales Leads to our own drivers.

Are you talking about these same drivers that are working preload and havent been on the street in weeks?

I feel for these guys that are out of work, but honestly they started working for a company whose whole mantra was low-cost and whose independent contractor model at one point mirrored that of RPS/FedEx Ground. Doesn't sound very pro-employee to me.

Dhl bought airborne express, before the the merger airborne was a respectable company. Not nearly as big as ups or fedex but they had their nitch. Dhl came in and ruined that company! Maybe what works over seas doesnt work here in the good ole US of A. Dhl thought they could just push us out of the picture, their advertising was far better than ours! Their pricing was far cheaper than hours, but you know what the difference was? The drivers! No matter how much bs ups throws at us, we still go out there and deliver for the customer day after day.

Now you want us to beg for more customers! Any more business customers and we could be just like dhl and going belly up in the near future. Theres only so many hours in the day to deliver business stops and with routes getting busted thats more stops for us.

Our own dam has cracks in it, and getting new customers wont fix it, servicing our current ones will! Just my two cents!

tieguy

Banned
That would be nice...in a perfect world! It ain't gonna happen. Here?

The conversation I overheard the other day was between one of our supes and a customer:

"We wish you wouldn't ship so much stuff. We can't handle it here".

Nope. Sorry. Don't have much hope for this company anymore.

race please report him before he wrecks anymore business.

upsdude

According to our local HR rep………….. Any referral resulting in a DHL sales rep signing on with UPS will get you a $500.00 bonus.

pkgdriver

Kappler this will never happen! Dhl drivers make over $25 an hour to deliver envelopes out of mini vans. You expect them to come and hump for$8.50 unloading and loading boxes?

What percentage of the DHL drivers in the US were making this wage?

0% in my area

705red

Browncafe Steward
What percentage of the DHL drivers in the US were making this wage?

0% in my area
I just love people that post without researching or post without any knowledge of what they are talking about!

Dhl ( the yellow vehicles) are represented by the teamsters in certain areas of the country, and in chicago the drivers are a little over $25 an hour.

Now you could have found this out yourself in the same time that it took you to type your reponse.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Their pricing was far cheaper than hours, but you know what the difference was? The drivers! No matter how much bs ups throws at us, we still go out there and deliver for the customer day after day.

I believe the real difference is that DHL did not have the infrastructure as UPS and FDX. Without a major Hub and Spoke system you are playing second fiddle to the big boys. When they realized they were losing millions of dollars year after year, the thought of building a system of their own would put them in a position they would never recover from.

Can you imagine if you were on the team that convinced the stockholders to invest in the US market. They are probably banished to a prison in Siberia.

pkgdriver

I just love people that post without researching or post without any knowledge of what they are talking about!

Dhl ( the yellow vehicles) are represented by the teamsters in certain areas of the country, and in chicago the drivers are a little over $25 an hour.

Now you could have found this out yourself in the same time that it took you to type your reponse.

0% in my area..FACT
The rest of the country in not sure of..25% maybe?