DHL's Big Annoucement on Wednesday

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
On the Express side of things, any shipments containing alcohol are very clearly marked that the package cannot be released and/or indirected, and must be signed for by someone at least 21 years old with a valid form of ID. We still have people drop and go, and they will get written-up immediately.Ground is a different animal altogether, and they are not very professional much of the time. Maybe it has something to do with the way they are treated...like crap. Just think of the liablity of some teenager swiping the pkg, getting drunk, and then having an accident. Worse yet, how about a small but curious child?

satellitedriver

Sat, not that I am criticizing you in anyway but it is well established on this forum that you are in a non-unique but not normal situation with your one man center. Some folks might even consider your routine to be a retirement route. Almost and apples to oranges comparison to regular UPS routes. I do wish you continued good luck for the next three years.
No offense taken.
I actually happened to be monitored by the District Manager closer than most center based drivers.
Retirement route? Hardly.
10 hr days, is my average.
My cover driver stops by my house each day I am off and I help him set up his pkg car.
They have to pull 20% of the load off of any driver that runs my route to make a 9.5 day.
Drivers 20yrs younger than me can not understand how I do it everyday and the managers wonder why they can't.
I have driven every route in my center, so I know what fruits are in this fruit salad.
I still do not know why I have always been non-normal at all jobs I have ever been employed to do.
I am no superhero, I just have always lived under a shower of Grace and I know no reason why I should deserve it.
Thank You, for the wish of luck.

worldwide

"I'm wondering if someone should make an anonymous call to their state's local liquor commission about FEDEX leaving those signature required-over 21 years old packages. Must be some kind of legal procedure their breaking"

Yes, they are breaking the law. In fact, NH gave Fedex a suspension a few months ago in NH.

If you see FedEx or DHL breaking the law, it can't hurt to alert the authorities. Perhaps you would be saving someones life...

"...On that day, the state Liquor Enforcement office alleges, a FedEx Express driver left a wine-filled box at an undisclosed residence, without getting the signature of a recipient over the age of 21.

As punishment, the Liquor Commission charged FedEx Express, of Memphis, Tenn., with violating state ordinance and imposed a $5,000 administrative fine. A three-day suspension of its direct shipping license was put in abeyance, pending no future violations, said Liquor Enforcement Chief Eddie Edwards."

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080306/NEWS/80306038

Coldworld

60 months and counting
"I'm wondering if someone should make an anonymous call to their state's local liquor commission about FEDEX leaving those signature required-over 21 years old packages. Must be some kind of legal procedure their breaking"

Yes, they are breaking the law. In fact, NH gave Fedex a suspension a few months ago in NH.

If you see FedEx or DHL breaking the law, it can't hurt to alert the authorities. Perhaps you would be saving someones life...

"...On that day, the state Liquor Enforcement office alleges, a FedEx Express driver left a wine-filled box at an undisclosed residence, without getting the signature of a recipient over the age of 21.

As punishment, the Liquor Commission charged FedEx Express, of Memphis, Tenn., with violating state ordinance and imposed a $5,000 administrative fine. A three-day suspension of its direct shipping license was put in abeyance, pending no future violations, said Liquor Enforcement Chief Eddie Edwards."

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080306/NEWS/80306038

I understand what you are saying, but Id be really careful with doing something like this because if ups finds out who knows what the hell they could do. You think that this kind of response would be looked on as a good thing for ups, but with the way they think they probably would tell you it was none of your business and try to fire you...their thinking sometimes defies common sense.

BURMDPsupe

I wonder if this means we will get Dell back? Maybe we will be able to DR notebooks like my DHL driver does........:dissapointed:

Oddly enough, I saw a bulk stop of Dell computer boxes roll into one of my Harrington loads! Maybe some of the volume is being diverted back to UPS in anticipation of a DHL "restructuring."

M-

FAVREFAN

I've read a few articles back in february and since that FDX may be partnering or taking DHL's freight division. DHL has repeatedly stated that US ground operations are critical to the growth of the company in the future. But who knows, everyone is speculating in here and in the media. Let's wait and see.

DS

Fenderbender
"Stock analyst Ed Wolfe predicted on May 16 in a research note that DHL could close as many as 90 to 100 of its U.S. terminals, return to its previous life focusing on international service and outsource local deliveries to trucking firms and the U.S. Postal Service.

Wolfe reported that as early as July DHL could begin closing sort and distribution terminals, which tend to combine ground and air products. DHL's big air hub in Wilmington, Ohio, is likely to survive the cutback.

The analyst also forecast that DHL is likely to partner with USPS for last-mile delivery for small ground shipments, and may rely on YRC Worldwide (parent of Yellow Transportation and Roadway among others), FedEx Freight or other motor carriers for line haul delivery between its remaining terminals and USPS local drop-off centers, known as Destination Delivery Units, or bulk regional centers.

The logical place for DHL to outsource is USPS, he said, because it has the lowest cost and they already have a relationship through the DHL @Home Service to do residential last-mile delivery. Under such a scenario, DHL could concentrate delivery operations in large cities, leaving to its partner smaller cities and rural areas where there is limited business but lots of territory to cover.

Wolfe warned that DHL could soon run into service problems with its most demanding customers. "We believe these restructurings will likely lead to untenable service levels for many current DHL Express and Ground customers, and a material amount of existing DHL Air Express and Ground business will likely move to UPS and FedEx," he wrote May 16.

As it prepares to trim its domestic U.S. network, DHL has recently begun to selectively ask some of its largest customers, who previously negotiated deep discounts, for 10 percent to 15 percent annual rate increases or drop non-profitable accounts that decline to do so, Wolfe said in his research note."

this probably wont fly with most of their customers.....it will be interesting to see what happens.
where did you find this?
I didn't want to just cut and paste it
can you give me the link?

BrownSuit

This is from Traffic World Today:

DHL, USPS, FedEx to Cooperate
5/27/2008
Robert W. Moorman
Air Cargo World
DHL signed a major air freight agreement with the United States Postal Service.
Deutsche Post World Net plans to announce details of the agreement via webcast from Bonn on Wednesday.
The agreement calls for FedEx to carry some air freight on behalf of the USPS. Sources familiar with the agreement said FedEx will take over some unprofitable air routes initially and increase the service gradually.
DPWN Chief Executive Officer Frank Appel is also expected to announce the closing of a quarter of DHL's U.S. stations and the elimination of hundreds of jobs. DHL is expected to redirect its growth efforts on its international service.
FedEx and DHL declined to comment and the USPS was non-committal about the venture.
In January 2001, FedEx and the Postal Service announced two major agreements. One called for FedEx Express to provide airport-to-airport movement of containers holding around 3.5 million pounds of Priority Mail, Express Mail and First Class Mail. That agreement was modified in 2006 to run through 2013. The other part of the agreement involved the drop off of packages at FedEx Drop Boxes nationwide. The venture is expected to generate approximately $8 billion over the life of the agreement.
The USPS declined to say how much it pays FedEx annually.

This is from Dow Jones Newswire:

US Revamp By DHL May Have Little Impact On Rivals

May 27, 2008: 04:59 PM EST

CHICAGO -(Dow Jones)- The long-awaited plans by DHL to shrink its U.S. package delivery unit, which has lost around $3 billion over the past four years, are expected to provide little short-term lift to rivals.
The global logistics group, part of Germany's Deutsche Post AG (DPW.XE), will unveil the fate of its DHL Americas Express unit after a board meeting Wednesday.
Deutsche Post has, despite acquisitions and heavy investment, failed to loosen the grip of United Parcel Service Inc. (UPS), FedEx Corp. (FDX) and the U.S. Postal Service, or USPS, on the delivering of express documents and packages in the U.S.
DHL's market share in the domestic air express market remains below 10%, and is around 2% for ground services, despite the presence in major cities of its distinctive red and yellow delivery trucks.
While speculation since the start of the year has swirled around a possible sale of the U.S. express unit to FedEx or UPS, antitrust issues would make such a move tricky, according to analysts.
Industry insiders expect Frank Appel, Deutsche Post's new chief executive, to eschew selling or closing the U.S. unit in favor of shrinking its footprint and forging partnerships to serve the markets it exits, notably with USPS.
USPS declined to comment on expanding its existing ties with DHL, but a senior executive said it was in a position to expand rapidly after recently securing regulatory approval to offer commercial pricing and contracts to business customers.
"Yes, we have the capacity to take extra volume," said Gary Reblin, vice president for expedited mail at USPS.
DHL declined to comment ahead of Wednesday's announcement, but industry expectations are that it will close as many as a quarter of its 400 U.S. air and ground terminals.
FedEx and UPS are expected to take up the slack of carrying priority documents and packages to and from airports for shipment, and then on to USPS terminals for "last-mile" delivery to businesses and homes.
Some analysts believe DHL could lose as much as a third of its U.S. business from such a move as customers switch providers to avoid a fragmented supply chain. However, even such a scenario would add only 1% to the expected 2008 earnings of FedEx and 1.2% at UPS, according to analysis by Ed Wolfe at Wolfe Research.
Deutsche Post's Happel has already moved to stabilize the loss-making North American express business, last month appointing Ken Allen to head the operation.
Happel has already indicated that the company plans to retain a substantial U.S. presence to support a global logistics and delivery business that ranks as the largest in the world by revenue.
His comments are validated by a new five-year deal with the Teamsters, covering 10,000 U.S. staff. DHL Express Americas also started offering shipping services last month from Walgreen Co. (WAL) stores, and plans to expand to cover almost all of the company's U.S. outlets by the end of the year, doubling its retail presence.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Excellent information. Since they basically treat us like mushrooms here at Fred's Place, employees will be the last to know anything definitive. If management follows it's usual course, DHL's semi-demise will be used as a propaganda tool to tell us how "great" we've got it.Tomorrow probably won't be a happy day if you're a DHL driver.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Even though they will keep their major hubs open thats still a lot of red and yellow trucks sitting idle around the country.