Diabetes

S

speeddemon

We have a driver slot opening soon. We got a reloader that wants it. However , he has diabetes. Can this keep him from trying? The guy is in great physical shape. I didnt know what to tell him.

over9five

Staff member
I believe you can get a "Federal exemption" that would allow him to drive. We have a driver who was d/q'd from driving, but is now coming back. I was just talking to him 2 nights ago, but he's not someone I regularly see.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get one!

some1else

we have 1 that has diabetes but can not drive anything bigger than a 300/sprinter...

im not sure if you can get into driving with it already; but if you develop it after you start probably would get the same deal

SmithBarney

Depends on the situation, if with Drugs you can pass your DOT Physical they
cannot restrict you. We just had a guy fail his DOT with Diabetes, he was
out for a couple weeks while they got his medication squared away..
and now he's back working.

paperboy

I myself am a diabetic on insulin for three years,lost DOT card because of insulin, got booted inside for a year. Yes, there is an exemption program which I am really knoweledgable. 1st comment on a post Greetings to all my brownies.

P

pickup

I myself am a diabetic on insulin for three years,lost DOT card because of insulin, got booted inside for a year. Yes, there is an exemption program which I am really knoweledgable. 1st comment on a post Greetings to all my brownies.

well Share, is he a washout if he uses insulin or not if he controls it with drugs?
Thank god I do not have to be knowledgeable about this and I pray I never will

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If you have to take insulin shots you are out of driving commercially. My guess is because of the higher risk of Diabetic black outs or comas.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We have diabetics who are legal for our smaller vehicles, but cannot be RTD's (Feeder Drivers). The regs are different for larger vehicles.

blue efficacy

I am in this situation myself. Great physical shape, good control, but barred from ever driving.

Some type 1 diabetics just have poor control and ruin it for the rest of us.

I have certainly never lost consciousness because of it, on or off the road.

Chnandler Bong

I have a 5 year old that was diagnosed with Type 1 at 17 months. I honestly don't want him to have to do this kind of work, but it's a bit disheartening that it might not even be a possibility. I hate the thought that he would be limited in any way. I'd be interested to know more about the exemption process...

brett636

When I was an air driver we had one guy who had diabetes. He controlled it via diet and pills if I am not mistaken which allowed him to drive. Should he ever need insulin shots is when he will no longer be qualified to drive, but as already stated an exemption can be obtained although I know nothing about how that is done.

klein

Für Meno :)
I don't know really what to say here, but in Canada you can drive with type 1 diabetes, on insulin. Even big rig, with 1 condition, only Canada wide - you won't be able to drive into the US.

Diabetes is not what it used to be.
Easy pocket size monitors, and even continuos monitors.

If someone can work on insulin with dangerous equiptment/machines inside a company, why wouldn't they be able to drive commercially ?
Maybe it's an outdated law in the US ? Not sure.
There are more dangerous drivers out there, driving with pain killers, imo.

UPSGUY72

There is a person in my center who had his own route and got DQ'd from driving and has been trying to get a exemption for over a year. The problem is that they are worried that you could loose consciousness while driving and kill yourself or someone else.