Diad training

over9five

Staff member
Caption this

E_2.jpg

"There is only ONE professional driver in Plattsburgh, and his name is Dave!"

You do not need a printout. Your driver needs to make sure he downloads EDD in to your DIAD before he leaves the center each morning. This will make it much easier for you (and for him) to be a more efffective helper. The way he has you doing it now is actually making more work for him than if he had downloaded EDD in to the DIAD.

Driver release is what you do at a residential address when you leave the pkg without getting a signature.

Stop complete is the big check button.

Downstate for us is Albany.

I do not have a dedicated DIAD, but am given a different one by the center supervisor and as someone said, I have not seen anyone download anything into their units.

Thanks for the answers, I'll see how tomorrow goes.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Upstateny, what exactly is a "dealine"?
It's actually what happens when you HASTILY negative rep someone that simply disagrees with your point. You'll notice that he always has typo's when someone gets under his skin, which apparently, is quite easy to do when he's writhing in anger over not being in control.

CharleyHustle

If you NI1 an apartment and stop complete, then take the pkg to the office and scan it again, the DIAD is counting that pkg again. Given a route with many apts with no-one home and you could be accused of inflating your dispatch.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If you NI1 an apartment and stop complete, then take the pkg to the office and scan it again, the DIAD is counting that pkg again. Given a route with many apts with no-one home and you could be accused of inflating your dispatch.
Good point CH, so not only is it redundant, it could also be seen as dishonest.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The most recent upgrade has added dup com and dup res to make sure we are not inflating our dispatches.

Nice try, Steve.

upsgrunt

But what's the point of showing non- delivery, NI1; and then sheeting as left at office? I'm just not seeing how that would benefit anyone- UPS, the shipper, or the consignee. Way too many entries and keystrokes and unneeded actions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But what's the point of showing non- delivery, NI1; and then sheeting as left at office? I'm just not seeing how that would benefit anyone- UPS, the shipper, or the consignee. Way too many entries and keystrokes and unneeded actions.

Showing the non-delivery NI1 and then the reattempt at the office benefits the consignee who may be sitting at work tracking their package or may have the tracking information sent to their blackberry or smart phone. It benefits UPS and the shipper in that it provides full disclosure of the movement of that package. It's really not that much more work--it takes me longer to explain it here than to do it.

For those who don't think customers track their packages I'll give you an example yesterday of one who did. I had a NDA SVR from Citicards for a college student. Citicards failed to put the apt # on the pkg, there are 8 apts in this complex of two buildings with a central mailbox that only has apt numbers on it, no names. If it were not Peak I would have started knocking on doors but there was no time for that. I called the number on the pkg and it turned out to be a fax machine at Citicards. The consignee must have been tracking the package, saw the "need apt #", and called the toll free number with the updated address. Our OMS clerk sent me an ODS with apt number and I did an ADC in the DIAD and delivered it later on that day.

upsgrunt

I agree that most packages are tracked, but what good does it do for them to see "non-delivery", consignee not home, and then "delivered" to office?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The most recent upgrade has added dup com and dup res to make sure we are not inflating our dispatches.

Nice try, Steve.
But if you notice the pkg count, it still increases. Try it some time, you may be enlightened, though you would probably deny that, as well.

+1

Showing the non-delivery NI1 and then the reattempt at the office benefits the consignee who may be sitting at work tracking their package or may have the tracking information sent to their blackberry or smart phone. It benefits UPS and the shipper in that it provides full disclosure of the movement of that package. It's really not that much more work--it takes me longer to explain it here than to do it.

For those who don't think customers track their packages I'll give you an example yesterday of one who did. I had a NDA SVR from Citicards for a college student. Citicards failed to put the apt # on the pkg, there are 8 apts in this complex of two buildings with a central mailbox that only has apt numbers on it, no names. If it were not Peak I would have started knocking on doors but there was no time for that. I called the number on the pkg and it turned out to be a fax machine at Citicards. The consignee must have been tracking the package, saw the "need apt #", and called the toll free number with the updated address. Our OMS clerk sent me an ODS with apt number and I did an ADC in the DIAD and delivered it later on that day.
OR, when you sheeted the pkg as needing an apt number, the new system flagged that pkg for the oms/clerk, and THEY looked up the correct apt #, just as they would had you sheeted it as NSN and such.

One of these days you'll get tired of your complex methods and want to return to the TRUE methods. BTW, why does the consignee need to see every step? Isn't sheeting a pkg, scanning the delivery notice and leaving the pkg at the office enough> YOU are making WAY to much work for yourself, and the fact that you won't take corrective advice from an audience of fellow driver's leaves me to believe your are ............

Would somebody please fill in this blank?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree that most packages are tracked, but what good does it do for them to see "non-delivery", consignee not home, and then "delivered" to office?

99% of the time you would be right but you and I both know that there is always the "difficult" customer who would call in a complaint that we didn't make an attempt at the apt. The consignee may even have left a note asking that the pkg be left with a neighbor and not at the office.

Steve, worry about yourself. Dave.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
99% of the time you would be right but you and I both know that there is always the "difficult" customer who would call in a complaint that we didn't make an attempt at the apt. The consignee may even have left a note asking that the pkg be left with a neighbor and not at the office.
That's why YOU go to the apt, leave a delivery notice, (detailed if necessary), and the cons/cust would have all the info they need, plus the knock on the door.

upsgrunt

Steve, worry about yourself. Dave.

Which Steve?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's why YOU go to the apt, leave a delivery notice, (detailed if necessary), and the cons/cust would have all the info they need, plus the knock on the door.

The consignee will have no idea that you went to all of that trouble if they are tracking the package from their work computer. Why would you do all of that and then not sheet the pkg and scan the info notice? They will walk all the way to their apt door only to have to turn around and go back down to the office to retrieve their package. Do it my way and all of the information is readily available online.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sure I'll do it my way to save time and NOT inflate my package count; and also not slight service in any way.

Steve, I was not trying to imply that you are slighting service; in fact, from what I have learned about you I am certain that you take care of your customers.

(BTW--doing it my way does not inflate package counts.)

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The consignee will have no idea that you went to all of that trouble if they are tracking the package from their work computer. Why would you do all of that and then not sheet the pkg and scan the info notice? They will walk all the way to their apt door only to have to turn around and go back down to the office to retrieve their package. Do it my way and all of the information is readily available online.
You are sheeting the pkg abd scanning the delivery/info notice, then pre-recording till you have attempted all the stops in the complex. The you sheet the remaining pre-recorded pkgs as L/A office, which is what will show up online when/if the customer checks online. They will love the fact that YOU took the time to go to the door, knock and leave a notice.

Steve, I was not trying to imply that you are slighting service; in fact, from what I have learned about you I am certain that you take care of your customers.

(BTW--doing it my way does not inflate package counts.)
Upstate, the next time you do this "method" take a look at your pkg count before and after all of the excess. Your pkg count will be exactly double what you left at the office, because your NI pkgs will register in your pkg count, as will your L/A pkgs. Try this and see.