DIAD Upgrades

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The DIAD upgrades took effect today and I was just curious as to opinions on the upgrades. I simply see them as another step toward ensuring that a substitute driver would be able to pick up the DIAD and deliver the area with little or no training and with minimal disruption of service in the event of a work stoppage. The upgrades "guide" us from the time that we punch in to the time that we punch out.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hey Upstate, I am off work this week and am wondering what the new upgrade does? EDD already tells the driver what order to deliver in, so what else is new?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hey Upstate, I am off work this week and am wondering what the new upgrade does? EDD already tells the driver what order to deliver in, so what else is new?

It may be shorter to list what has not changed.

They have added tasks to our workday.

Before you even go on the road, you have to:

Verify that you downloaded EDD

Verify that you signed off the DVIR

Verify that you did a pretrip.

On road there have been changes as well

Intercepts are more easily identifiable and may even save you from having to stop if that is the only pkg for that stop.

If you have pickups that you are allowed to P/U before 1430 they are identified as AEPU and segregated from your pickup log.

NDAs and Savers are listed at the beginning of EDD with the commit times.

Methods of payment for CODs has been upgraded. If the shipper specifies certified funds than that is what the DIAD will ask for.

You access your pickups by clicking on the task button and will receive a reminder 15 minutes before your first P/U scheduled time, much the same as for an OCA except this will happen every day.

There are tasks that must be completed when you return to the bldg, such as turn in and sign off DVIR.

I can see where these changes could benefit a new or casual driver but not a veteran driver.

You will have 2 days of DIAD training when you come back off vacation covering all of these changes.

Enjoy your vacation. Dave.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Ha, thanks for the info. I had a shipper call me the other day because they thought I was running late. I can see where this should prompt the Cover Driver to break trace to get to the pickup at the usual time. When we went on EDD a few years ago, I missed the day when the Supe rode with us to show us how it worked. I just figured it out the next day by myself. I never did learn how you can take a section on the EDD List and move it somewhere else, like when you get a last minute Add/Cut and the PAS Dispatcher puts it in the wrong place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are a few more changes I forgot about earlier. Your EDD can be updated on the road after you leave the bldg. For example, I had a NDA on my pkg car that was not in EDD when I left bldg. I got a message telling me about the NDA and asking me to add it to my EDD.

kingOFchester

Also noticed that you can't Pre-record PU's. I know, I know...why would one want to do that??? One trip I covered had a stop that usualy gets 10-20 delivered. He also ships out a dozen or so pieces that he usually has ready when I make his delivery. I pre-record the Pick up. When I drive by at the schedule pick up time 15:45, he will put out his red cone IF he has anything else to go out. If nothing else, I stop complete (after shutting off engine) and off to the next stop. Saves about 3 minutes by not having to go down the drive....do a 5 point turn to get to the dock.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Also noticed that you can't Pre-record PU's. I know, I know...why would one want to do that??? One trip I covered had a stop that usualy gets 10-20 delivered. He also ships out a dozen or so pieces that he usually has ready when I make his delivery. I pre-record the Pick up. When I drive by at the schedule pick up time 15:45, he will put out his red cone IF he has anything else to go out. If nothing else, I stop complete (after shutting off engine) and off to the next stop. Saves about 3 minutes by not having to go down the drive....do a 5 point turn to get to the dock.

Looks like you will be getting 5 point turn practice.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Write down the end of day barcode when you make your AM pickup and if the cone is out later on manually enter it into the stop and complete it. Or just make the pickup in the afternoon.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Write down the end of day barcode when you make your AM pickup and if the cone is out later on manually enter it into the stop and complete it. Or just make the pickup in the afternoon.

Or just have the customer print out a duplicate end of day for you.

That was actually my first thought but I figured I would catch hell if I suggested doing so.

The best (notice I didn't say right) thing to do would be to stop complete the P/U in the afternoon at the P/U stop, not in the pkg car.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Or just have the customer print out a duplicate end of day for you.

That wouldn't work. He is trying to make the pickup when he delivers in the morning and put it in pre-record until the scheduled pick-up time in the afternoon. Apparently you can no longer pre-record pickups with the new upgrade. Company must have caught on that this is how some drivers remain pick-up compliant.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That wouldn't work. He is trying to make the pickup when he delivers in the morning and put it in pre-record until the scheduled pick-up time in the afternoon. Apparently you can no longer pre-record pickups with the new upgrade. Company must have caught on that this is how some drivers remain pick-up compliant.

Actually it would work as he would make the P/U while he is there and when he comes back in the afternoon and the cone is not out he would simply scan the duplicate barcode and go on his way. One of the problems with doing it this way is the end of day at the shipper does not get a scan.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Gotcha. I think his best bet is to say I can no longer pick you up in the A.M. The days of flexibility are over. Or have the customer request his pick-up be changed to morning and he can use on-call if he has more later.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Gotcha. I think his best bet is to say I can no longer pick you up in the A.M. The days of flexibility are over. Or have the customer request his pick-up be changed to morning and he can use on-call if he has more later.

Or just P/U what he has ready in AM and then go back in PM.

The days of flexiblity are indeed over.

bumped

Actually it would work as he would make the P/U while he is there and when he comes back in the afternoon and the cone is not out he would simply scan the duplicate barcode and go on his way. One of the problems with doing it this way is the end of day at the shipper does not get a scan.

A duplicate end of day would have the same tracking numbers...just sign their copy and scan yours later.

I do have the shipper duplicate the end of day for me whenever my diad goes down. I sign theirs and scan the duplicate when a new diad is brought out to me.

GeorgiaBrown

In our Center we can change PU times without any hassle just print your pick up log and make what changes are necessary......... the OM clerk will have it fixed lickety split....... so in the case of the driver with the am pickup....... move the pu time to whenever he is there doing his delivery..... make the pu and then swing back later to confirm they don't have anything else.... if they do pick it up and scan barcode if not just scan barcode.... simple......If that is the only pu that you are non-compliant on....... then I don't see the big deal....19 out of 20 ain't bad.........it's not like you are missing the packages or the pu.... hell you are even going by there twice....if it suits the customers needs that should satisfy UPS