DIAD Upgrades

over9five

Staff member
I wonder when the upgrade that allows us to deliver in the direction we are currently driving and on the side of the street we are already on will come online?

Didn't you decide that when you set up your route for PAS/EDD?

I think my route is (was) the best set up route in the building. They told us to be anal setting it up, and by God I took them at their word!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Didn't you decide that when you set up your route for PAS/EDD?

I think my route is (was) the best set up route in the building. They told us to be anal setting it up, and by God I took them at their word!

Unfoutunately even though our whole center did sit in on parts of that process, it was largely done by a guy that favored the way it was done with Microsoft Maps software. He drank a lot of soda pop and looked kinda busy.

Now what we have to do is work with a system that runs streets the same way every day no matter if you are coming from the opposite direction or if every stop is on the other side.

Sometimes you're the bat. Sometimes you're the ball.

TheDick

After reading about all the tricks of the trade for a driver to meet the numbers handed down by the center, I feel the drivers are just as guilty at falsifying numbers as the management team.
Jeez, do it exactly the way you are directed. If the " day's plan" goes to hell, so be it.
This is the only way to prove that the lack of daily planning and use of common sense ( we use to call common sense, area knowledge) is the flaw in the one size fits all technological approach.
Fat chance it will change the new direction, but now I get 10 to 15hrs of OT with all the new cost saving measures.
I can just be as stupid as the way I am forced to be stupid.

And on top of the OT you get 9.5 pay to boot!

brownracer

Re: DIAD Upgrades - Misloads

Another new DIAD feature can be used when you find a misloaded package. Now you can send a Misload Text Message to the center with the misloaded package’s tracking numbers.

Go to the Communication Menu and select the new option 4 - Misload Text Message

To begin, scan the tracking number of the misloaded package, answer if you can delivery the misloaded package, then enter any comments.
For additional packages, select the Add Pkg softkey. Then press Send.
If you can deliver the packages, the center can send you a Delivery UOW Update Alert with the missing stop and package data.

brownracer

Re: DIAD Upgrades- AEPUs

One of the purposes of this upgrade is to display the pickups that can be completed within delivery trace near to the deliveries displayed in your EDD manifest. If a stop can be closed out during deliveries, why not have the account's scheduled pickup time changed within DPS so that it is designated as an "Authorized Early Pickup" AEPU, and then it displays properly within the EDD manifest? Therefore, there would be no reason to prerecord any pickups. The big driving force behind this enhancement is to align the actual times of pickup attempts with the scheduled pickup times, especially due to our +/-15 minute pickup commitment window.

pretzel_man

do you what diad updates actually mean ? the suits are going to expect more stops per hour.

Anybody ie out there who can let.us know how much standards have changed

First, there is no work measurement change. But, I find this thread pretty amazing.....

While I absolutely agree that there is no excuse for a center just installing the upgrade and not telling drivers, I'm amazed by the negative comments about this. Its telling that so many of the negative comments are from people that have not even seen the upgrade. (Again, there is no excuse for this not being properly communicated to the drivers)

Corporate told us about these changes a while ago. This software was intended to help with many of the things people on this board complained about. Now that corporate is addressing the items, people seem to find a need to complain about that too.

Kind of like dealing with my ex. Complain if nothing is done, complain if something is done.

I'm sure that like all software there will be bugs, but here are some of the nice features in this DIAD / ODSe upgrade:

- A task list helps guide drivers (especially new ones) into doing all the things they need to remember today.
- A DVIR helps ensure we are compliant with regulations
- If a missort is found in a car, it tells the center automatically, and if you have EDD, takes it out of the other drivers manifest so he/she doesn't go looking for it. The same happens if a package was found left in the building.
- Missorts, late air, etc can be moved from one drivers DIAD to another to help with synchronizing information and setting up meet points.
- Intercepts are more nicely integrated.
- Pickups can be adjusted by the center to help balance over 9.5's while ensuring we don't miss pickups.
- Pickups are better integrated into the manifest
- This is also the base for future new services.

These things all seem like good things.

P-Man

brownracer

The deployment plan for this upgrade includes two PCM training sessions over two days (PFT/EDD sites recieve both days of training.) The first sessions is about 6 minutes for all centers and the second 3 minutes session is for additional training specific to PFT/EDD centers. Not only are there the training modules in the DIAD for drivers, but there is a training script that goes with the modules that has even more detail on the procedures. These are to be given together for service provider training. The complete training materials are available on the Corp IE I-Gate. Under the DIAD Procedures page within the "DIAD/DCS 08.08 Upgrade" folder. This includes copies of the:
-- Service Provider Training Guide (PCM script)
-- Link to the DIAD training modules for viewing by the center
-- DIAD/DCS 08.08 Management Guide
-- Link to the ODSe 2009 Computer Based Training
-- The Center Upgrade document
-- A management PowerPoint overview presentation of the changes

W

westsideworma

These things all seem like good things.

P-Man

P-Man

I agree these all seem like good things as well. The problem is good things often can easily be twisted and contorted (sometimes unintentionally). This occurs when people do not get the big picture and miss certain little things that actually add up to a lot.

PAS was (and is) a great idea on paper and works well in many centers, but in some small, but important ways, we've made it harder on the preloader.

Also we we're told its faster than the old way, but at least in our center pulling the PAL and facing it toward the driver was an approved method and we (myself included as I was a preloader for a bit myself) did some basic math to figure just how much that adds to a preloader's day. 1000 pkgs (the norm at the time) x 1-3 seconds (to pull a PAL) equals approx. 20-50 min more time to do the job than previously. However they don't get that time factored into their planned PPH because its not an official corporate method I don't believe. Also pulling add/cuts (a big problem at our center recently as add/cuts have gone through the roof) is another thing that preloaders do that they do not get credit for, some picks move as many as 100 or more packages due to add/cuts and the preloader has to stop loading and search for (eventually). I don't believe they get credit for that either. Granted now those 1-3 seconds per package go to reading those new magenta imprinter labels lol, and then writing the sequence in crayon haha so I guess it still kind of applies even though we no longer use PALs for the most part :wink2:

For a company where seconds mean everything, how could nobody catch these oversights? We were told it takes no extra time when it obviously does. Granted this wasn't really a twist, more like an oversight, but you see where I'm going. After all the horror stories I've heard on here, I'm becoming convinced that Telematics was twisted as well. I was under the impression it was to improve safety, not performance goals. Thats how it was pitched to me anyway (though I had apprehensions about how it would actually be used), but on here we see that someone has figured out how to twist it.

The point is, people fear all changes here because they are not always good in practice (in general, not saying in this instance with the DIADs), though the intention was there when initially created.

Last edited by a moderator:

brownracer

Please also be aware that centers have about five days to do the upgrade. So some service providers may have received the upgrade and training, while others have not. This is by plan as this upgrade must be synchronized between DIAD/DCS and ODS. All U.S. service providers should receive the training by early next week. But the Day 1 training should always be given prior to going on road with the changes in the DIAD.

pretzel_man

Westside:

I understand what you mean by good intentions not always turning out the way things were envisioned. That's a pretty common situation for any company or individual.

As you mentioned, PAS did not work out the way envisioned, but it still provided large benefits to UPS. About 1/2 the sites are doing very, very well. There is still a large % doing poorly. The cause is management.

In your case, I do not understand what "pulling the PAL" means? Are you actually taking off the PAL and replacing it? That was certainly not set out as a method for the preload and does take extra time. Using a crayon was part of the methods however (just like before PAS)

BTW, I had a chance to review the corporate cost analysis for PAS. There was basically no benefit associated with the preload. The vast majority was for miles reduction with the drivers. For the preload, they intended for the cost of SPA to be recovered by preload production improvements. Some sites got that, others did not.

P-Man

P-Man

I agree these all seem like good things as well. The problem is good things often can easily be twisted and contorted (sometimes unintentionally). This occurs when people do not get the big picture and miss certain little things that actually add up to a lot.

PAS was (and is) a great idea on paper and works well in many centers, but in some small, but important ways, we've made it harder on the preloader.

Also we we're told its faster than the old way, but at least in our center pulling the PAL and facing it toward the driver was an approved method and we (myself included as I was a preloader for a bit myself) did some basic math to figure just how much that adds to a preloader's day. 1000 pkgs (the norm at the time) x 1-3 seconds (to pull a PAL) equals approx. 20-50 min more time to do the job than previously. However they don't get that time factored into their planned PPH because its not an official corporate method I don't believe. Also pulling add/cuts (a big problem at our center recently as add/cuts have gone through the roof) is another thing that preloaders do that they do not get credit for, some picks move as many as 100 or more packages due to add/cuts and the preloader has to stop loading and search for (eventually). I don't believe they get credit for that either. Granted now those 1-3 seconds per package go to reading those new magenta imprinter labels lol, and then writing the sequence in crayon haha so I guess it still kind of applies even though we no longer use PALs for the most part :wink2:

For a company where seconds mean everything, how could nobody catch these oversights? We were told it takes no extra time when it obviously does. Granted this wasn't really a twist, more like an oversight, but you see where I'm going. After all the horror stories I've heard on here, I'm becoming convinced that Telematics was twisted as well. I was under the impression it was to improve safety, not performance goals. Thats how it was pitched to me anyway (though I had apprehensions about how it would actually be used), but on here we see that someone has figured out how to twist it.

The point is, people fear all changes here because they are not always good in practice (in general, not saying in this instance with the DIADs), though the intention was there when initially created.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
They have turned easy diad screens into everyone needing a masters to not be confused. What was the sense of putting this update into the diad ? We had a delivery screen and we had a pickup screen. Makes no sense to jumble them together !

A task screen is not needed when YOU ARE TAUGHT how to do the job ! I don't need a daily reminder to pretrip. I don't need a daily reminder to write up my DVIR ! I don't need a reminder to pull my lookups/rts/p+h off my car !

It was done because someone has to justify their paycheck and they had the extra room on the diad's hard drive !!!

If MANAGEMENT trains correctly, then this upgrade IS UNNECESSARY !!!:angry:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The upgrades: don't care one way or the other. So far I don't feel personally affected by them.

One question: can someone please answer this....

From the EDD view - how do you toggle addresses and businesses?

For ex:

123 Park st.
80 Smith rd.
23 john rd

Then you hit two buttons (one might be alpha)

And wallah you get the businesses instead of addresses, and you can toggle the entire list without going to "details"

Jacks cars
Mikes etc
etc etc

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Being able to use the find BC function from the main screen is a Plus. The other additions are just distracting bells and whistles I personally do not care for. I had my center team take out my AEPUs from the main manifest just because only one of them is a before 2:30 account, the trace is so bad they were just a distraction when using the marker...

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Only problem with that is that now you are adding a pickup stop to your day every day. That is setting yourself up for a time-stealing accusation.

not when you dont stop complete the pu at its scheduled time. This is what guys do in my center and no body has a problem with it...

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I have a question . Lets say i have a misload for the 41 rte and i scan and send to the center that i cant del . Does the pkg automatically get remove from the 41 rte edd or does that have to be done by my management team. Because i know the old way when i text in a misload they never commutate to driver that they are missing a pkg. There been times when i have been missing a 1da waste 10 minutes looking for it then call the center and tell them im missing a 1da to have them tell me oh that was left in building , i say you couldn't text me to tell me you had the pkg that would be to much work for them . They would rather harass me about being 10 minutes paid over the next day.

pretzel_man

I have a question . Lets say i have a misload for the 41 rte and i scan and send to the center that i cant del . Does the pkg automatically get remove from the 41 rte edd or does that have to be done by my management team. Because i know the old way when i text in a misload they never commutate to driver that they are missing a pkg. There been times when i have been missing a 1da waste 10 minutes looking for it then call the center and tell them im missing a 1da to have them tell me oh that was left in building , i say you couldn't text me to tell me you had the pkg that would be to much work for them . They would rather harass me about being 10 minutes paid over the next day.

Its automatically taken off of the 41 rte. Its put in an exception log for the center to decide how to handle it (do you deliver it, meet a shuttle, etc.)

the same happens if a package is left in the building. Automatically removed from the route.

P-Man