DIAD Upgrades

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I think that was a removal. On a removal, there is no choice I think. I think when adding a pickup, there is still a response choice. I asked that question of the corporate people.

When it was removed, it should have come off the pickup log?

P-Man

Thanks!
That's what I assumed. Just wanted to confirm with someone "in the know", my on-road is a bit "old fashioned".

And yes, it came off my log...

Will I have to remind them every time that delivery stop is removed to also remove the pickup?

pretzel_man

Thanks!
That's what I assumed. Just wanted to confirm with someone "in the know", my on-road is a bit "old fashioned".

And yes, it came off my log...

Will I have to remind them every time that delivery stop is removed to also remove the pickup?

PKG:

Is that an on area pickup? If it is, the pickup will automatically go with the delivery I think.

If it is not, they remain seperate. The planner or the OMS would have make the adjustment.

P-Man

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
PKG:

Is that an on area pickup? If it is, the pickup will automatically go with the delivery I think.

If it is not, they remain seperate. The planner or the OMS would have make the adjustment.

P-Man

Yes, It is delivered and picked up at the same time. The planner has told me that the pickups are the center teams "deal". But that was before this new upgrade...All my pick ups are actually "on area" and I have had issues before where an area with a pick up would be on another driver but I would still be responsible for the pickup.
I don't follow trace because of this reason...my pickups cover a very large area and are used to being picked up after a certain time of day,several are "preferred accounts". So, I run my route(I'm a D route:sick:) to get as many stops done with my commit stops(12:00) and then, to be in the pickup's area near their perspective pick up times.

Diego

Ask you OnRoad sup let him make the decision. If you print a duplicate it might look like you are falsifying records. Be careful sometimes the right way for customer and you will get you in trouble.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The new enhancements are indeed an improvement. It looks like IE did its homework on this one. Giving the center the ability to transfer EDD data is huge, now it is no longer necessary for two drivers to coordinate a face-to-face meeting in order to transfer work; the stops can be dropped off and left someplace with the EDD data being sent automatically.

My only criticism is of the training, or lack thereof. We did the training in the DIAD, but my first day out on the new system I had a misload and couldnt remember how to scan it. Some sort of brochure or pamphlet outlining the changes would have been handy.

The new enhancements are indeed an improvement. It looks like IE did its homework on this one. Giving the center the ability to transfer EDD data is huge, now it is no longer necessary for two drivers to coordinate a face-to-face meeting in order to transfer work; the stops can be dropped off and left someplace with the EDD data being sent automatically.

My only criticism is of the training, or lack thereof. We did the training in the DIAD, but my first day out on the new system I had a misload and couldnt remember how to scan it. Some sort of brochure or pamphlet outlining the changes would have been handy.

Doesn't that really only benefit managemnt numbers? As a driver, I don't care if the EDD is in my board or not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Doesn't that really only benefit managemnt numbers? As a driver, I don't care if the EDD is in my board or not.

As a driver, I very much care if the EDD is in my board. Sure, I could go "old school" and still scratch, but I will readily admit that I have become spoiled and get upset when pkgs are loaded that have not been palled.

P-man, you made some excellent points re: these upgrades and I thank you for doing so. My only gripe was that some of the "tasks" are things that we must do already and came across like a 2nd grade reminder but I guess they would benefit a new and/or casual driver.

pretzel_man

As a driver, I very much care if the EDD is in my board. Sure, I could go "old school" and still scratch, but I will readily admit that I have become spoiled and get upset when pkgs are loaded that have not been palled.

P-man, you made some excellent points re: these upgrades and I thank you for doing so. My only gripe was that some of the "tasks" are things that we must do already and came across like a 2nd grade reminder but I guess they would benefit a new and/or casual driver.

Upstate:

When I spoke with the corporate people, I asked about this....

They said that it was very expensive to turn on and off the "task list" for individual drivers, so they made it the same for everyone. They said that in their testing, the regular drivers got used to it quickly.

Again, think about all the upgrades here. I think this is a step to where the DIAD becomes like a calendar / planner for the driver. Deliveries, pickups, ODS messages, will eventually become just a single list of "tasks" to complete.

If a "task" needs to change due to a customer request or a driver need, it can be updated. I think this is a very good approach.

Like all software, there will be bumps along the way, but I think the changes are very good.

By the way, since this software has been installed, the missed intercepts in my area have been drastically improved. Thats because they have automatically moved them to each DIAD even after the driver leaves the building... Thats good for UPS and the customer.

P-Man

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree and am sure that in time I will begin to appreciate the changes.

When I punched out Friday night I "forgot" to go through the task sequence and the DIAD still allowed me to punch out but it took a few seconds longer than usual--I am sure it had to go through some sort of internal checklist to make sure I had completed all of the tasks.

Anyway, my son and I are heading to a local tavern to watch the Patriots silence Rex Ryan and the Jets.

brownracer

Couple of quick notes, for the new Tasks: you can still do all your "tasks" the same way as before the upgrade. The tasks will disappear from the EDD Manifest (be completed) whether completed through the EDD Manifest or through any other method. They are just listed for reference on the EDD Manifest. Therefore, if you are using the correct methods there should be no interruption to your routine. It is true that the EDD Manifest is becoming the new "main menu" for the DIAD. The concept is to make this DIAD screen a time-ordered list of all work to be completed. Much like a daily schedule within programs like Outlook Calendar.

As far as Misloads: they are part of ODS communications as you are sending a "Misload Communication" to the center. Just follow the normal steps to send a Text Message and select option 4- Misload Text Message from the "Select Message Destination" DIAD screen. Remember that this is only intended as a message. If the package can not be delivered that day by yourself or by another service provider it should be recorded as a misload.

With regards to training: all service providers are to be given a PCM-type training ( 2-days for EDD ctrs, 1 day for non-EDD ctrs) led by a center team member that uses the "Service Provider Training Guide" which contains a training script that contains additional details to accompany the DIAD training modules. This training can be downloaded from the Corp IE I-Gate web site on the UPS VPN Intranet site. The complete DIAD/DCS materials for this release are contained within the "DIAD/DCS Procedures" webpage in the folder for "DIAD/DCS 08.08 Sept 2009 Release." The DIAD training modules are to be active through the end of the month.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I agree and am sure that in time I will begin to appreciate the changes.

When I punched out Friday night I "forgot" to go through the task sequence and the DIAD still allowed me to punch out but it took a few seconds longer than usual--I am sure it had to go through some sort of internal checklist to make sure I had completed all of the tasks.

Anyway, my son and I are heading to a local tavern to watch the Patriots silence Rex Ryan and the Jets.

How'd that turn out !!! lol

J/K

Overpaid Union Thug

Couple of quick notes, for the new Tasks: you can still do all your "tasks" the same way as before the upgrade. The tasks will disappear from the EDD Manifest (be completed) whether completed through the EDD Manifest or through any other method. They are just listed for reference on the EDD Manifest. Therefore, if you are using the correct methods there should be no interruption to your routine. It is true that the EDD Manifest is becoming the new "main menu" for the DIAD. The concept is to make this DIAD screen a time-ordered list of all work to be completed. Much like a daily schedule within programs like Outlook Calendar.

As far as Misloads: they are part of ODS communications as you are sending a "Misload Communication" to the center. Just follow the normal steps to send a Text Message and select option 4- Misload Text Message from the "Select Message Destination" DIAD screen. Remember that this is only intended as a message. If the package can not be delivered that day by yourself or by another service provider it should be recorded as a misload.

With regards to training: all service providers are to be given a PCM-type training ( 2-days for EDD ctrs, 1 day for non-EDD ctrs) led by a center team member that uses the "Service Provider Training Guide" which contains a training script that contains additional details to accompany the DIAD training modules. This training can be downloaded from the Corp IE I-Gate web site on the UPS VPN Intranet site. The complete DIAD/DCS materials for this release are contained within the "DIAD/DCS Procedures" webpage in the folder for "DIAD/DCS 08.08 Sept 2009 Release." The DIAD training modules are to be active through the end of the month.

How do you record a package as a misload? I've never seen that option. As far as I know a misloaded package is supposed to be sheeted as missed if it can't be delivered.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sorry Upstate! It must suck losing to the Jets. I hope you still tipped the wait staff well. Here's a little souvenir from the game.:wink2:

How do you record a package as a misload? I've never seen that option. As far as I know a misloaded package is supposed to be sheeted as missed if it can't be delivered.
Here's one way. NSN, NSS or you can do like a couple of guys in my building. Bring the pkg back to the bldg without sheeting and flip it onto the belt when no one is looking. See you guys at the panel......:surprised::happy2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
As far as I can tell, it is only to send the info back to the center. Go to Communications-text to center-misload (this may not be exact, I have only looked at it once)

rebenunn

Just b glad that the streatch time and the am PCM isn't in there as well....worked for Fed Ex and they do. Probably will be the next step tho....lol

brownracer

When the misloaded package cannot be delivered by you or any other service provider for that day, the new misload communication function does not sheet the package's disposition as a non-delivery.

If a package cannot be delivered it should be recorded following your center's standard DIAD recording procedures that you were using prior to the upgrade. No procedures have changed. The new feature is only a communication to the center that a misloaded package was found, and whether it can delivered or not. Just remember that every package loaded, whether delivered or non-delivered, must have an entry for the day. If the package is given to another at a meetpoint it is that service provider's responsibility to make that day's final disposition entry.

Bottom-line, follow your existing procedures for sheeting any packages that are delivered, non-delivered or missed.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When the misloaded package cannot be delivered by you or any other service provider for that day, the new misload communication function does not sheet the package's disposition as a non-delivery.

If a package cannot be delivered it should be recorded following your center's standard DIAD recording procedures that you were using prior to the upgrade. No procedures have changed. The new feature is only a communication to the center that a misloaded package was found, and whether it can delivered or not. Just remember that every package loaded, whether delivered or non-delivered, must have an entry for the day. If the package is given to another at a meetpoint it is that service provider's responsibility to make that day's final disposition entry.

Bottom-line, follow your existing procedures for sheeting any packages that are delivered, non-delivered or missed.
But who's to say that pkg is actually on your truck if you don't scan it into the DIAD? Believe me, this game is played daily.