DIAD V camera.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by CHALLY9TX, Jul 11, 2014.

1. CHALLY9TX

CHALLY9TX Active Member

Anyone out there testing the camera yet? Or have seen it being demonstrated? Or any news on DIAD 6 development?

Sent using BrownCafe App

2. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

The camera doesn't even seem accessible. I forget it even has one.

DIAD 6? That'll be a while. We just got the 5's last year and they're $6,800 each.

3. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I have no idea how a computer costs $600 but our diads costs 6k

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. CHALLY9TX

CHALLY9TX Active Member

Wow barely last year, crazy. I know that cameras haven't been activated but I was wondering if they're being tested out somewhere. I realize diad 6 won't be out for awhile but Im guessing its in development now. Crazy how the 5 cost that much when most smart phones are more capable and cost less to make.

Sent using BrownCafe App

5. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Well-Known Member

Best thing you can do is to put a tiny scrap of an infonotice on the light-sensor of the new back-up monitors...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Oak

Oak Active Member

R & D and manufacturer tooling is expensive. It's not like they sell millions of them like other everyday products.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. The Driver

The Driver Active Member

Exactly. It's an economies of scale issue. Plus these things are built to last as far as I can tell. I drop mine at least once a day in a brutal-looking way and the thing keeps on working. It's pretty amazing technology, actually.

8. CHALLY9TX

CHALLY9TX Active Member

Even so, 6k is a lot.

Sent using BrownCafe App

9. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Look for management layoffs right before the announcement of the VI like they did with the DIAD V.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. you aint even know it

you aint even know it Well-Known Troll Troll

Yeah right. More like 400-800 dollars.

11. you aint even know it

you aint even know it Well-Known Troll Troll

If it was so much, UPS would have dropped the hammer on them a long time ago. They barely want to pay for our health insurance as time passes, do you really think they would pay so much for a simple device like a diad? I understand the conveyor rollers and belts being super expensive, but not a trivial device such as a diad that just logs data. Just because they say it's that much doesnt mean it's that much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  12. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

The Diad V is NOT $6800. It is an off the shelf Honeywell unit which UPS buys, slaps its logo and software on, and there you go.

About 2 months after the roll out in my center, I lost one. While it was missing I was told that if I didn't find it I would be on the hook for $2400. Still not cheap, but certainly not 7 grand.

13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I thought $6,800 was a bit on the high side.

Resident know-it-all.

14. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

Really? We are having problems like crazy from the being dropped. The buttons stop working and they freeze up. You can here pieces jiggling around in there.

Sent using BrownCafe App

15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

If it freezes up do the 3 fingered salute (AKX).

16. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

Really? I drop it once or twice a day it seems. Never an issue. Takes a licking but keeps on ticking.

17. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

That's what I miss about the mute feature of the Diad 4, if it was too loud, throw it against the floor of the truck and it would sound half the time, the harder you threw it, the better the volume change was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. On the diad V you just hold the small buttons to reboot.

19. CHALLY9TX

CHALLY9TX Active Member

You still on diad 4? AKX only works on diad 4.

Sent using BrownCafe App

20. Jlemansk

Jlemansk Active Member

I am surprised that they cost that much. What really got me was the PCM we had about not leaving our diads in the truck while on lunch hour. It seems management is concerned about the diads being exposed to excessive heat, and being damaged from it. I find this insulting, as they clearly do not care about humans being exposed to excessive heat. I make sure my Diad stays in the car every time now.

Sent using BrownCafe App

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List