DIAD V Revealed

Mapp

Choo Choo
This one always comes up, but no one ever thinks about how small it will make the keys. If you have a QWERTY keyboard, you MUST have 10 keys across. Look at that device and do a little thinking about what the keys would look like if there were 10 per row. If you can make a QWERTY keyboard on a device that narrow that is actually uasble, you sir are a better man than I.

:smart:
Most Drivers can text each other faster on the Blackberry's than they can type on the Diad 4's, I can almost guarantee it. they always look at the keys when punching a street name into the D4.

Anyway, good job on the design, hopefully it can withstand the abuse they sometimes give it.

Also, can you hook us up with Pong on it?

browniehound

Yeah i think this is one of the diads they brought into our hub last year so the drivers could vote on...i think this was my favorite.

Everthing looks great on the new DIAD, except for one fatal flaw. Where is your hub? Is it in Miami?

I work in New England where the high temp has been around 25 and the wind chill has been around 12 degrees friend for the last month.

How in the love of God's green earth am I going to be able to use those keys with gloves on? I'm being serious.

I currently wear two pairs of white knobbed work gloves in the below freezing weather. I can just manage the keys on DIAD 4 with the gloves on. It looks like we will need child-like fingers in 70 degree weather to operate DIAD 5.

I'm serious. Why does UPS always leave the most important things out when engineering their equipment? OH, I forgot, the comfort of its workforce is at the bottom of the list.

Frost-bit hands in the winter because we can't operate DIAD 5 without gloves. Blown-out shoulders from no power-steering in the 21st century.

I know I'm off topic, but how can our fleet have trucks with no power-steering in them? I hear upper managers and corporate(are you listening?) wax poetic about our image and appearence standards. How does our driver look having to make a 5-point turn in the center of a large cul-de-sac? Moving trucks do it in two moves for heavens sake.

How does our driver look in the public eyes when he is"push-pulling" the steering wheel to get into a tight space? I'll tell you how he looks. He looks like a chump and he makes UPS look like cheap chumps.

Seriously, think about the opinion the public forms when they notice UPS uses non-power steering vehicles in 2010. 2010, for the love of GOD!

They dropped the ball again with the new DIAD. Wind-chill at -15 no problem. The driver can just take his gloves off back at his no-heat non-running package car and type in the info there. YEAH right!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
.....I work in New England where the high temp has been around 25 and the wind chill has been around 12 degrees friend for the last month.

How in the love of God's green earth am I going to be able to use those keys with gloves on? I'm being serious.

UPS has formed a upper-level management committee to look into this issue. After weeks of exhaustive study, they have decided that the solution to the problem is not to redesign the DIAD, but instead to have the drivers come in once a week to memorize and recite the Six Point Warm Finger Commentary. Drivers who successfully recite the Commentary will be given a refreshing ice cold bottle of water and a granola bar.

EmerCond421

Everthing looks great on the new DIAD, except for one fatal flaw. Where is your hub? Is it in Miami?

I work in New England where the high temp has been around 25 and the wind chill has been around 12 degrees friend for the last month.

I currently wear two pairs of white knobbed work gloves in the below freezing weather. I can just manage the keys on DIAD 4 with the gloves on. It looks like we will need child-like fingers in 70 degree weather to operate DIAD 5.

I'm serious. Why does UPS always leave the most important things out when engineering their equipment? OH, I forgot, the comfort of its workforce is at the bottom of the list.

Frost-bit hands in the winter because we can't operate DIAD 5 without gloves. Blown-out shoulders from no power-steering in the 21st century.

I know I'm off topic, but how can our fleet have trucks with no power-steering in them? I hear upper managers and corporate(are you listening?) wax poetic about our image and appearence standards. How does our driver look having to make a 5-point turn in the center of a large cul-de-sac? Moving trucks do it in two moves for heavens sake.

How does our driver look in the public eyes when he is"push-pulling" the steering wheel to get into a tight space? I'll tell you how he looks. He looks like a chump and he makes UPS look like cheap chumps.

Seriously, think about the opinion the public forms when they notice UPS uses non-power steering vehicles in 2010. 2010, for the love of GOD!

They dropped the ball again with the new DIAD. Wind-chill at -15 no problem. The driver can just take his gloves off back at his no-heat non-running package car and type in the info there. YEAH right!

Good points. +1

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse

They must be counting on:
A. Global warming
B. Relaxed child labor laws
C. Both A and B
Press friend to finish the DIAD training and return to the main menu.

DiadDude

So I'll count that as one vote for the larger buttons offered by a non-QWERTY keyboard :wink2:

All kidding aside, several versions of devices were tested in the field and the size of the buttons on this device was determined by the service providers surveyed to be very acceptable. The "gloved key entry" issue was looked into by people who are much more qualified than I to do so, and the key size, shape, and pitch has been extensively examined. Trust me when I say that a lot of thought has gone into this item.

Two things that I can tell you that may help with the new device is that unlike DIAD 4, the keys on the DIAD 5 are raised above the surface of the device. The keys are also designed to have more positive feedback (less squishy-ness) than the DIAD4. Hopefully these 2 facts will actually make the DIAD 5 easier for you to use than the DIAD 4.

Please let me know what you think of it once you have one in your hands.

browniehound

So I'll count that as one vote for the larger buttons offered by a non-QWERTY keyboard :wink2:

All kidding aside, several versions of devices were tested in the field and the size of the buttons on this device was determined by the service providers surveyed to be very acceptable. The "gloved key entry" issue was looked into by people who are much more qualified than I to do so, and the key size, shape, and pitch has been extensively examined. Trust me when I say that a lot of thought has gone into this item.

Two things that I can tell you that may help with the new device is that unlike DIAD 4, the keys on the DIAD 5 are raised above the surface of the device. The keys are also designed to have more positive feedback (less squishy-ness) than the DIAD4. Hopefully these 2 facts will actually make the DIAD 5 easier for you to use than the DIAD 4.

Thanks DIAD, I was really concerned about this.

Cementups

Box Monkey

I have heard all of your problems are going to be resolved and all of the routes above the PA border are going to be outsourced to FL. Delivery times may be lengthened to accomodate these changes.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Looks like the diad schawn's drivers use.

In my opinion, they should be as small too. Small enough to fit into a shirt or pants pocket. Lock buttons enabled to prevent those buttons being pressed.

bad company

semi-pro
I know it's a long shot, but given the current trend of real-time status updates and social networking via "Facebook", can you add that application to the DIAD V? Think of all the additional Sales Leads I could get!!!

code5

I'm a bit concerned about the colder climates operating this thing. Smaller buttons may mean its difficult to use even with thin gloves on. I actually think the DIAD 1V is better than the DIAD III in that regard.

I know of many drivers that use gloves year round just to protect their hands from the dirt and drying out.

Does this new DIAD even have a stylist pen? Is there a spot where it held into the board in the back like the DIAD 1V?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm a bit concerned about the colder climates operating this thing. Smaller buttons may mean its difficult to use even with thin gloves on. I actually think the DIAD 1V is better than the DIAD III in that regard.

I know of many drivers that use gloves year round just to protect their hands from the dirt and drying out.

Does this new DIAD even have a stylist pen? Is there a spot where it held into the board in the back like the DIAD 1V?
No more need for a stylus, as people will sign with their fingernail.:wink2:

pretzel_man

Yes, It has a stylus.

Big Babooba

What I think of when I have "it" in my hands cannot be posted here.:wink2: