DIAD V Revealed

Cementups

Box Monkey
USB would be too much of a PITA for most drivers to connect evry night. Most of the guys are soo used to walking in a slamming their DIADs in teh slot evry day that a USB connection wouldn't last longer than a day. The current design is the most durable, I would venture a guess.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
stug

no stylus.

the money they saved by cutting out the stylus allowed ups to keep tie and pman on the payroll.

so be thankful, very very thankful.:wink2:

btw, how does it feel to you techie guys to know that the customers think we are refurbing fedex's boards to be used as our new boards.

to be so techno advanced, it seems like we spend time catching up instead?

especially since the fedex drivers are telling the customer that we get their hand me downs.

d

Deeohem

the current design with spring-loaded pins is a pile. Not sure what it is, but when slots stop charging, most of the time I can take the pins out and put them back and the slot will work for a few weeks again.

I'd rather see charging racks more like the old Symbol 3300 scanners or go back to the c clip used on DIAD II and III

flltmmr

Does anybody know how soon, or if at all, they plan on making the mapping feature available on the new DIAD? As a cover driver who will probably be covering driving for years to come, it would be so much more efficient to have some sort of mapping feature at my disposal as opposed to digging out the old paper map and searching, and searching, and searching for the street I am looking for. Of course this feature will be of no consequence to drivers that have their own routes but it would be a godsend to us cover drivers!

Spiderman

Package Slinger
Does anybody know how soon, or if at all, they plan on making the mapping feature available on the new DIAD? As a cover driver who will probably be covering driving for years to come, it would be so much more efficient to have some sort of mapping feature at my disposal as opposed to digging out the old paper map and searching, and searching, and searching for the street I am looking for. Of course this feature will be of no consequence to drivers that have their own routes but it would be a godsend to us cover drivers!
Ever heard of a Garmin?:happy2:

flltmmr

Ever heard of a Garmin?:happy2:

Maaaaan, you don't how badly I wish I could, but working in the inner city of a major metro area makes that virtually impossible unless I want to throw it in the back ever time I step out of the car! Heck, I wouldn't even trust it sitting out on some of the 'burbs around here either! If you know of something I don't as to how to secure it without the hassle, please do let me know ;)

bbsam

Staff member
Do these have USB power connections? Please don't let it be those god awful Pin and connector design.
The Fedex Ground version doesn't use power connections like the diad except at the terminal. Once the battery is discharged, pop it out and replace. Probably need battery chargers installed in the package cars. Some of the scanners seem to discharge batteries awfully quickly.

Maaaaan, you don't how badly I wish I could, but working in the inner city of a major metro area makes that virtually impossible unless I want to throw it in the back ever time I step out of the car! Heck, I wouldn't even trust it sitting out on some of the 'burbs around here either! If you know of something I don't as to how to secure it without the hassle, please do let me know ;)
garmin-venture-hcx.jpgStick it in your pocket
garmin-venture-hcx.jpg

DiadDude

The Fedex Ground version doesn't use power connections like the diad except at the terminal. Once the battery is discharged, pop it out and replace. Probably need battery chargers installed in the package cars. Some of the scanners seem to discharge batteries awfully quickly.

There are no DIADs that use an in-vehicle power connection now. All DIADs have always been charged at the center. The DIAD 2 and 3 could sense when they were in a DVA, but never charged while in one. DIAD 4 only has a vehicle holder, with no power run to it.

DIAD 5 will have a replaceable battery, so in theory you could swap them out, but the goal is for the battery to be strong enough to last through your day. This feature could come in handy for satellite drivers who might have a battery shuttled to them with their day's work. Honeywell will have an in-vehicle charger that is compatible with the DIAD 5, but I'm not sure how or if UPS plans to roll those out.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Question Number 1: What is wrong with the forum software that your post came out like you typed aletter and hit enter?

Numero Dos: Will the new DIAD's holder be placed yet on top of DIAD IV, which is on top of DIAD III? When will this madness end?

DiadDude

Question Number 1: What is wrong with the forum software that your post came out like you typed aletter and hit enter?

Numero Dos: Will the new DIAD's holder be placed yet on top of DIAD IV, which is on top of DIAD III? When will this madness end?

1. Don't know, my post looks OK to me.
2. Someone will supply the holder, and UPS will decide how to mount it. I don't get to have any input on that decision.
2a. The madness will not likely end any time soon

Carrig

Clandestine User

So let me see if I understand, you have two DIAD holders in your package car now and you want to know if a third one is being added? The answer is no, you will not have a third vehicle holder. As far as the madness is concerned, I expected to continue unabated for the foreseeable future. However, that madness will not involve a third vehicle holder being added to the package car. :happy2:

Tiny Panda

I'm curious to know how robust these will be, last week i used my Diad to hit my starter motor in a bid not to have a road call and to hammer in a pin to hold my door handle on.