DIAD V Tips and tricks?

S

serenity now

No. If you hold the stop open, then the time stamp is when it was sheeted (not scanned). If you Prerecord it, the time stamp is what time you hit the stop complete button, NOT when you pull it out of prerecord

If you hold the stop open, then the time stamp is when it was sheeted (not scanned). ok, think about what you are saying *if the stop is held open there is only one event (whether you call it scanned or sheeted) * If you Prerecord it, the time stamp is what time you hit the stop complete button, NOT when you pull it out of prerecord * the instant you take the stop out of prerecord, it becomes active and that is the new time stamp * have done this too many times; so i'm not relying on what someone has told me*

years ago i covered a route that would often put me at a shopping center near noon (before GPS)
with 2 NDA stops left i could prerecord the last one, then get a signature at the location of the next to last air stop * immediately confirm the signature, hit stop complete, bring up the prerecord during the final minute available, and then casually walk over to the other store to deliver my last air * not late in the diad, or in the eyes of ups (during that era) *

Last edited by a moderator:

DS

Fenderbender
Glad you found the bc DKNoob.I was trying to think of things to tell you but it's like I'm lost without one in my hands.
I'll try though.The bundle option(to make a 10 pc shipment ONE send again) is on the touch screen and looks like this /.
Highlight the pkg, little arrow down and enter.
The override option(also on the touch screen) is handy when you can't scan your car number,or when you have a double tracking # on the pkg.The rev col option is when you have several cod's,and you can correct any mistakes you made
by selecting the "go to stop" option and enter.
Depending on what software you have installed,hitting #8? on the screen will either give you your gps coordinates,or may not be there at all.
Hitting the 2 top left buttons twice in succession turns on the backlight for delivering after dusk,or anytime.
Theres tons more but I'm all out for now.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Haha...hi DK, the DIAD V has no ABC key, and the keys are smaller. There's a built in flashlight, it's really easy to accidentally hit the function key (which brings up the flashlight option) It has a very large laser field for reading bar codes. Overall it's not so bad. It's not going to be good protection against a dog like the older DIADS.The screen is touch. Use your nail though. I've had better experiences using my nail edge rather than my fat fingers.
Speak for yourself! I bitch-slapped (literally) a pitbull on the nose with mine several weeks ago; it promptly turned around and went back into the door it somehow opened to come get me. (and this was a mean pit; always slamming against the window or the basement door by garage while growling or barking).

'Lord Brown's bidding'

When you bring a stop out of pre-record the time stamp is when it is first brought back, not when it is stopped completed (have done this with several NDA-no trickery involved, there was a reason but I don't remember details-and the air wasn't late just because I stopped completed after 10:30).

BTW, if you accidentally pre-record an air stop after the commit time, just complete the stop as a multiple-LA. Finish scanning the rest of the pieces and then treat like two separate stops. As long as you don't pull up the air stop again (not even just the address screen; I recently tried) the air stop's time stamp will be when it was scanned,rather than when it was pre-recorded or stop completed. I learned this by accident. Two things: make sure you use Duplicate Res/Com option for one of the two "stops" when at multiple LA screen, so no one will think you are trying to pad stops. Also, don't try and get cute and play tricks with commit times. UPS is watching out for pre-recorded air stops, and are looking for suspicious activity. Use it legitimately, or to get around the accidental pre-record and you'll be fine (they may still question you, but the answer will be reasonable, and you'll be ok).

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
the screen scratches very easy on DiadV. Mine is about 3 months old and scratched to all hell. Almost can't read through it at an angle. They really cheaped out on the screen this time around. Gorilla glass is needed here.

And ignore the "speaking to the Diad" talk. They are friend-ing with you.

the screen scratches very easy on DiadV. Mine is about 3 months old and scratched to all hell. Almost can't read through it at an angle. They really cheaped out on the screen this time around. Gorilla glass is needed here.

And ignore the "speaking to the Diad" talk. They are friend-ing with you.
I speak into the DIAD V anytime Im having a bad day. My customers think Im nutz!!!!!(by the way I am) This place will do it to you.!

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
The pre-record option should not be on the touch screen PERIOD. Many drivers make their last air stop the big bulk stop at a dock. It is too damn easy to be on your 50th package scan at 10:31 and have them all suddenly thrown into pre-record because your finger got within 2 inches of the screen. You are then screwed without any chance of fixing it.

Classic example of the person approving the equiptment having never done the job, EVER!

I hated it when right handed people grabed the DIAD 4 to sign and hit the sig key. On the DIAD 5 the sig key is in the same place but also has added yellow buttons on the sides which do it also. I guess the person above decided that 80% of the population slowing us down wasn't enough and made sure lefties would get the same enjoyment of asking the same question as the righties...."where do I sign again?"

The pre-record option should not be on the touch screen PERIOD. Many drivers make their last air stop the big bulk stop at a dock. It is too damn easy to be on your 50th package scan at 10:31 and have them all suddenly thrown into pre-record because your finger got within 2 inches of the screen. You are then screwed without any chance of fixing it.

Classic example of the person approving the change having never done the job, EVER!

I hated it when right handed people grabed the DIAD 4 to sign and hit the sig key. On the DIAD 5 the sig key is in the same place but also has added yellow buttons on the sides which do the same thing. I guess the same person above decided that 80% of the population slowing us down wasn't enough and made sure lefties would get the same enjoyment of asking the same question as the righties...."where do I sign again?"
Please don't ask the drivers "what improvements can we make on DIAD V" .!!! Please let somebody who never ever had a package in their hand!! TELL ME HOW TO DO MY JOB OR POORLY DESIGN MY EQUIPMENT TO MAKE MY JOB HARDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Because of the ever-present threat of the "accidental pre-record" I now try to remember to scan an unreadable barcode-like the WT code that is used by sorters and PALers, or the little barcode above the 1Z-code-after I have scanned a group of barcodes and will now set more packages up to be scanned. Using the strap on the back to hold the DIAD has helped prevent accidental pre-records.

Overpaid Union Thug

Classic example of the person approving the equiptment having never done the job, EVER!

I accidentally put stops in pre-record just about every day every since we started DIAD5. Your example of the bulk stop happened to me this past week. Luckily only one NDA and not the usual 10+ that they usually get.

S

serenity now

don't have V yet, so haven't had the acc. prerecord problem

one thing you could do is set a Mon- Fri. alarm on your phone for 3 minutes before commit time to remind you to check prerecords that may be stored

'Lord Brown's bidding'

don't have V yet, so haven't had the acc. prerecord problem

one thing you could do is set a Mon- Fri. alarm on your phone for 3 minutes before commit time to remind you to check prerecords that may be stored

Actually, if you pre-record an air stop and then forget about it, then notice it later, as long as you don't pull up the stop AND haven't used pre-record for another stop (although you'd notice the accidental pre-record at that time), use the multiple-LA feature and the same applies, even if it is several hours after the fact. I once had a mental-lapse in judgement and instead of hitting stop-complete I hit the escape key. However, I didn't notice because the screen did what I expected and so didn't realize what I had done. About 90 mins later I was preparing to use multi-LA at another stop when I noticed the air multi-LA. After chiding myself I hit stop-complete; no late airs.

S

serenity now

Actually, if you pre-record an air stop and then forget about it, then notice it later, as long as you don't pull up the stop AND haven't used pre-record for another stop (although you'd notice the accidental pre-record at that time), use the multiple-LA feature and the same applies, even if it is several hours after the fact. I once had a mental-lapse in judgement and instead of hitting stop-complete I hit the escape key. However, I didn't notice because the screen did what I expected and so didn't realize what I had done. About 90 mins later I was preparing to use multi-LA at another stop when I noticed the air multi-LA. After chiding myself I hit stop-complete; no late airs.

or you could just set the alarm

'Lord Brown's bidding'

The way I realize I've accidentally pre-recorded the stop is I'll go to scan another pkg, only to get the "beep" notifying me I am doing something I cannot. When I look at the screen it is on the address screen, and there is one pre-recorded stop showing in that field the awareness that a stop has been pre-recorded comes immediately.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
You don't get a beep telling you that your are trying to do something you can not. Because pre-record is touch screen if your finger gets close to the screen as you are scanning and moving boxes the screen just goes to the EDD list and on the next scan it just pulls up the same stop with the correct number of packages left to find. Many times I think I had hit the up arrow and I just down arrow to continue. The last time I got written up it was because of 6 late air due to this POS touch feature.

Hell, after having these boards about a year you can't read the screens anymore in sunlight. It's just a poor choice made by someone who has never done the job before, therefore he/she can not understand the problems with it's actual use. Seems like 85% of the problems encountered at the level of where the work actually gets done is due to this.

does anyone know what the side buttons are for. i know that you can scroll down with the two that are close together but what about the two larger ones on the side. i was told that they were scan buttons but they dont work. any tricks on how to turn them on/????

stink219

I removed the lanyard attached to the Stylist after the first Day of watching the all the Cnee's fumbling around with the stylist being attached to the lanyard.
Yes, almost had my eye poked out because of the stylist snapping back at me. Removed that and the hand strap. I added the clip to it. I don't use the holster. I think the V is slower in using the Left At function. Touch screen sucks. EDD transfer sucks. I hang the clip at my crotch so hot chicks can kneel to sign at my dingle.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yes, almost had my eye poked out because of the stylist snapping back at me. Removed that and the hand strap. I added the clip to it. I don't use the holster. I think the V is slower in using the Left At function. Touch screen sucks. EDD transfer sucks. I hang the clip at my crotch so hot chicks can kneel to sign at my dingle.

dingleberries?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Best tip: when stuck in snow, jam that new DIAD under the back wheels for instant traction. Presto! Unstuck. Step two: call center for a new DIAD.