Diad V

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Texting between drivers would be a huge improvement. Obviously there would need to be safeguards (copies of all messages printed out for management to review, only work-related texts allowed) but direct and timely communication can really make a difference.

What is the intent of having a camera?

I think that could cause an issue. We have to many interuptions as is with being ODS spammed. Why would we want our co-workers spamming on us with messages while we are in the middle of doing a stop or locked in an aggressively heavy and tight pick up time slot. Especially while trying to get a signature up pops a text/ods while u stair at customer. hold on driver John Smith has a question about his route. To many reasons why we don't need driver 2 driver texting. I have a bid driver wanting me to baby sit him continuosly on a route he's been on for months. I'm a cover driver "under him" yet I run the route well and have walked him through it many times yet he still cant get it down even though he has the route. Constantly asking me how to run off his air. He even trys calling me when I'm laied off at home asking questions on what to do. No way do I want him with ability to ods me wnen I'm trying to figure out a blind route and dealing with my own problems.

Imagine getting text from surounding routes asking u to cover a pick up or take stops on top of ods from management. No Thanks

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think that could cause an issue. We have to many interuptions as is with being ODS spammed. Why would we want our co-workers spamming on us with messages while we are in the middle of doing a stop or locked in an aggressively heavy and tight pick up time slot. Especially while trying to get a signature up pops a text/ods while u stair at customer. hold on driver John Smith has a question about his route. To many reasons why we don't need driver 2 driver texting. I have a bid driver wanting me to baby sit him continuosly on a route he's been on for months. I'm a cover driver "under him" yet I run the route well and have walked him through it many times yet he still cant get it down even though he has the route. Constantly asking me how to run off his air. He even trys calling me when I'm laied off at home asking questions on what to do. No way do I want him with ability to ods me wnen I'm trying to figure out a blind route and dealing with my own problems.

Imagine getting text from surounding routes asking u to cover a pick up or take stops on top of ods from management. No Thanks

You bring up legitimate points, but they can be addressed thru a combination of software adjustments and drawing personal boundaries for yourself.

ODS "spam" can indeed be annoying, especially when you are in the middle of a stop. The solution is simply to allow the driver to "lock out" ODS messages for a short period of time, with a feature that allows management to "override" the lockout for truly urgent messages. Right now, you get a green light on the DIAD whenever there is any sort of message and you have to pull over to read it. The light could be programmed to blink if it is a specific, time-sensitive message for you vs. staying a solid green color if the message is merely spam.

As far as other drivers messaging you asking for help...the answer to that problem is simply learning to say "no" when their requests are unreasonable. I know that there have been occasions where the route next to me is being run "cold" by a guy with no area knowledge, and the 10 minutes I have spent talking or text-messaging him on my cell phone saved me from having to take an hour's worth of stops off of him at the end of the day. Information is power, and direct and timely communication can be a force-multiplier.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You bring up legitimate points, but they can be addressed thru a combination of software adjustments and drawing personal boundaries for yourself.

ODS "spam" can indeed be annoying, especially when you are in the middle of a stop. The solution is simply to allow the driver to "lock out" ODS messages for a short period of time, with a feature that allows management to "override" the lockout for truly urgent messages. Right now, you get a green light on the DIAD whenever there is any sort of message and you have to pull over to read it. The light could be programmed to blink if it is a specific, time-sensitive message for you vs. staying a solid green color if the message is merely spam.

As far as other drivers messaging you asking for help...the answer to that problem is simply learning to say "no" when their requests are unreasonable. I know that there have been occasions where the route next to me is being run "cold" by a guy with no area knowledge, and the 10 minutes I have spent talking or text-messaging him on my cell phone saved me from having to take an hour's worth of stops off of him at the end of the day. Information is power, and direct and timely communication can be a force-multiplier.

This company doesn't believe in software adjustments.
They prefer to train tens of thousands of drivers to jump through "computer hoops".
This evident in the absents of software adjustment to eliminate issues with the present system.
Issues such as 12-1 and after 5 closed and not ins.
Entering a lunch, use of unscheduled pickup field, other other, etc.
These and others are all easily eliminated with simple software adjustments, yet it doesn't happen.
Perhaps management is afraid there would be nothing for them to do if these problems were nonexistant?

soberups

They prefer to train tens of thousands of drivers to jump through "computer hoops".
This evident in the absents of software adjustment to eliminate issues with the present system.
These and others are all easily eliminated with simple software adjustments, yet it doesn't happen.
Perhaps management is afraid there would be nothing for them to do if these problems were nonexistant?

Dingdingding we have a winner!!

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner

The 12-1 is frustrating. Especially if U can't pull off having a lunch yourself. If I can't not in a commercial between 12-1 then by GOd I better be able to have a lunch myself. I'm a cover driver so I do what I have to and try not to rock the boat but if everyone pulled together we could make this thing happen. Maybe we'd have more routes up and people like me wouldn't be bouncing between clasifications and get a solid work schedule. I know, take lunch and let the mess get passed on to management but we've all been there at some point, not being able to have Lunch, yet we can't sheet a commercial because they are on lunch. Why does UPS get away with allowing a customer the right to not have deliveries between lunch hour YET still dispatch in a way that forces a route to not pull off a Lunch till end of day. If I have to take Lunch at 1930 then clock out at 2000 then to me that's not LUNCH. That's keeping me stuck in truck.

I think it's important even more so for a D.O.T. Job class to have a proper lunch and break then a warehouse clerk or office personal of any COMPANY and a real time allowance during REAL lumch hour to do so.

How is it that California is pulling in all these great Lawsuites yet I don't c any real effect in my neck of the woods except "put in a lnch even if u don't get lunch" story.

Are these Cali lawsuites going to have any effect on the rest of the country. Do they include in these lawsuites the specifics on how a route needs less commercial and no pick ups during a realistic 12-1 time slot for all routes or is it "just make sure they get breaks by end of day". It should show more then just on paper but an obvious sign in all effected routes having a half hours less stops based on currant average stops per route.

I think D.O.T. should regulate a specific time slot for all Drivers and have penalties significant enough to impact a Corp to wanna avoid a High penalty thereby forcing them to allow time for a Lunch and not lunch before clockout or lunch on drive back 2 building.

Public safety for one reason and possably lower risks of accidents and injuries.

It's shamefull to see trucks lined up outside of building on luch before clock and i know it's usually not by drivers choice to not have a real time slot for lunch

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The current DIADs were also designed to allow texting between drivers--that feature has never been brought online. I can see advantages and disadvantages from such a feature.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
What happened to the good old days, where we were more productive because we were LEFT ALONE to do the job we were trained to do without INTERRUPTIONS.

Who-ever eliminated the ability to prerecord a message so we could finish a task at hand really did us and our customers a disservice.
Nothing is more annoying, time consuming or embarrassing than having to answer a text while a customer is standing there waiting for you to hand them their pkg.:biting:

"Just a minute Joe; I need to write a short paragraph to my supervisor explaining to him/her exactly why I am running a bit late today before I can scan your package and hand it to you so we BOTH can be on our way!":peaceful:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

They used to send the messages with a pre-record option. You could defer the message until after the stop is complete. Same with on call pickups. Sometimes you can pre-record them and other times you can't.

Is anyone using Diad V? I was under the impression that it was supposed to be introduced this year.

I had the opportunity to field test it last fall. You can scan a bar code in any direction and it is fast, small and has touch screen capability. I did not see anything for a camera but wonder why a service provider would need that. The best part is it has a re-boot button, no more akx. Your old clip will not work but they are thinking about a new clip or pouch, and yes, you will need to wear very thin gloves, or bow hunters choppers that flip up to allow you to push the buttons with your frozen fingers.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think that it would be nice if we could program notes about certain deliveries into it ourselves. My cover driver would know exactly where I usually deliver things, if a long driveway had a place to turnaround, bad dogs, gate codes, etc. I know the Dispatch Supervisor can do this, but it would be easier for the driver to take care of it.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I think that it would be nice if we could program notes about certain deliveries into it ourselves. My cover driver would know exactly where I usually deliver things, if a long driveway had a place to turnaround, bad dogs, gate codes, etc. I know the Dispatch Supervisor can do this, but it would be easier for the driver to take care of it.

Thats a great idea! Also could include notes as to if a Really hot chick, or a P.I.T.A customer so you know what you're getting into

soberups

The 12-1 is frustrating. Especially if U can't pull off having a lunch yourself. If I can't not in a commercial between 12-1 then by GOd I better be able to have a lunch myself. I'm a cover driver so I do what I have to and try not to rock the boat...... It's shamefull to see trucks lined up outside of building on luch before clock and i know it's usually not by drivers choice to not have a real time slot for lunch

Not being willing to "rock the boat" is the reason why you are sitting outside the building taking your "lunch" at 7:00 at night in the first place.

My lunch is non-negotiable. If I am overdispatched, I go ahead and take my lunch at the correct time anyway and then I call in to let them know that some stops will be coming back. If they want to fix the problem they can; if they dont want to fix the problem thats OK too; I will just sheet whatever I cant get to as "missed" and we can try again tomorrow. I'm just the messenger.

soberups

They used to send the messages with a pre-record option. You could defer the message until after the stop is complete. Same with on call pickups. Sometimes you can pre-record them and other times you can't.

There is also the "will contact center ASAP" option. Or as a last resort you can just type in "AAA" or some other gibberish in order to bypass the ODS message and complete the delivery you are trying to make.