DIADS 1 and 2

hyena

Hey I was just wondering what the old DIADS looked like. Ive only got to use the 3 and 4. Does anyone have a pic or a link?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Here is a picture of my 1st DIAD.Started using it in 1990 or 1991.Measures 16 inches long by 9 wide and was very top haevy.Was constantly being dropped on my foot.
100_0273.jpg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The DIAD 1 was made by Tappan, in Japan I believe. They seemed to have a lot of circuit board problems.

hyena

I wonder how the 5 will be I think I read somewhere on here that they were being tested at different centers now.

pkg-king

I remember when using those you couldn't wait for a package to come along with an actual bar code on it to scan so you didn't have to type in the shipper number and i.d..

code5

There was no stylist holder.
There was no backlight.
The DIAD 1 wasn't flat, the screen was slanted out, so it sucked to carry with packages.
Both DIAD 1 and 2 didn't have built in DIVAS. To communicate, they had to be on the dash, attached to the Diva holder.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
There was no stylist holder.
There was no backlight.
The DIAD 1 wasn't flat, the screen was slanted out, so it sucked to carry with packages.
Both DIAD 1 and 2 didn't have built in DIVAS. To communicate, they had to be on the dash, attached to the Diva holder.
The stylist holder was velcro, low tech, low cost!

In my center I don't remember the Diad 1 having DVIA capabilities, just speakercom communication's thru a telephone. Is my memory any good?

rod

Retired 22 years
In the beginning you had to forward all the info that DIAD 1 had gathered by asking a customer if you could borrow his phone and then dialing a certain number. When you got a connection you had to hold the mouth piece of the phone over the speaker of the DIAD and push a certain button. The DIAD would make the god awfuless squeeking and squawking computer noises and when it was done you were good for another half hour or so. A pay phone would work also if anyone remembers what those were. The DIAD 1 was great for hitting dogs with - if you could hold onto it as it had no handle. It was MUCH heavier than a clipboard.

browndevil

The stylist holder was velcro, low tech, low cost!

In my center I don't remember the Diad 1 having DVIA capabilities, just speakercom communication's thru a telephone. Is my memory any good?
Yes, I think am remembering the same thing. We had to find a pay phone( not hard to do in the early 90's) to send the tracking info. I think DIAD 2 had the capability to transmit unless we were in a secluded area or a highrise then we had to do a DIVA send.

hyena

In the beginning you had to forward all the info that DIAD 1 had gathered by asking a customer if you could borrow his phone and then dialing a certain number. When you got a connection you had to hold the mouth piece of the phone over the speaker of the DIAD and push a certain button. The DIAD would make the god awfuless squeeking and squawking computer noises and when it was done you were good for another half hour or so. A pay phone would work also if anyone remembers what those were. The DIAD 1 was great for hitting dogs with - if you could hold onto it as it had no handle. It was MUCH heavier than a clipboard.
WHAAAAT? Are you serious? Your pulling my leg here right?
Thats funny you can hit the dog with it. I almost had to do that once (with a diad 3) but thats another story lol.

retired2000

also if you hit a certain button it would shut the diad off and you could not turn it back on again. yes, the (pen) was red.

over9five

Staff member
Remember the light on the bottom? So you could illuminate your walk-path or a package label in the dark?

...Except it was red..... and not very bright....

rod

Retired 22 years
WHAAAAT? Are you serious? Your pulling my leg here right?
Thats funny you can hit the dog with it. I almost had to do that once (with a diad 3) but thats another story lol.

I'm totally serious about that----------------------after all a person had to have some fun during the day.:wink2: They also made great snow scoopers when you got stuck but didn't hold up so good if you put them under your tires for traction

Big Babooba

I don't remember ever doing a speaker com transmission with a DIAD 1. If I remember correctly the DIVA (DIAD vehicle adapter) was implemented with DIAD 2. You could transmit info via speaker com on that version. DIAD 3 had its own transmitter which made the DIVA obsolete.

How many times did you hand the DIAD to the consignee not realizing that the Velcro had failed and the stylus was missing? How many people signed in ink and had their signature set on the signature pad? That was a problem when DIAD 1 first came out with the gray signature pads.

Anybody remember that DIAD 1 had two versions? The later ones had a beefier case to make it more reliable. All you had to do with the first ones was to lookat the crosseyed and they would die on you. They were not reliable at all. Part of your pretrip was to check to see if you had a clipboard and delivery pads.