Did any of your youthful ways carry over to cause you problems later in life?

Integrity

Binge Poster

I ask that out of respect for the seriousness of this thread and this discussion that you don't post here in a disrespectful way and please don't attack me or any others. There are plenty other threads that you can take those kind of responses to for your comedic enjoyment. Please.

For discussion:

To All,

In my youth I was prone to drunkenness which resulted in me being addicted to alcohol.

Miraculously I have not had a drink of alcohol in a very, very, long time.

Has something like this that was so bad for such a long time that turned out better in the end ever happened to you?

Did any of your youthful indulgences ever turn on you to cause you problems later in life as mine did?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Addiction is a weakness of mental strength. Just my opinion that's all.
jumpman23,

You are very right about this.

It may very well be your opinion but it is also well known by addiction recovery experts that the disease of addiction is a weakness of mental strength.

Alcoholics have drank themselves to a condition of powerlessness over alcohol while strangely exhibiting mental strength in normal and sometimes above average ways in other areas.

Sincerely,
I

bbsam

Staff member
A moderator with a history of drug and alcohol addiction. I'm sorry, Integrity, but this thread seems too linear, almost waxing sentimental. You almost seem like you regret your past and that is something that I never do. But for the sake of discussion, do you regret your past? Do you think it really could have been any other way?

Integrity

Binge Poster
A moderator with a history of drug and alcohol addiction. I'm sorry, Integrity, but this thread seems too linear, almost waxing sentimental. You almost seem like you regret your past and that is something that I never do. But for the sake of discussion, do you regret your past? Do you think it really could have been any other way?
bbsam,

You have a history of drug and alcohol addiction.

Are you clean and sober?

I do not regret the past nor wish to close the door on it.

Through my weakness I have found my greatest strength.

If I would have never picked up a drink of alcohol it would have been impossible to become addicted to it.

Sincerely,
I

bbsam

Staff member
Exactly. And were it not for that path, we would have little to offer. But then our lives are not for our own sake. We may have a daily reprieve, but that is contingent on certain truths.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Exactly. And were it not for that path, we would have little to offer. But then our lives are not for our own sake. We may have a daily reprieve, but that is contingent on certain truths.
bbsam,

I have daily reprieve based upon my spiritual condition.

Sincerely,
I

bbsam

Staff member
Yes. In that light, it's hard to see anything as youthful mistakes. Its all part of a life long journey.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes. In that light, it's hard to see anything as youthful mistakes. Its all part of a life long journey.
bbsam,

I understand your point and I do believe sacrifices have been and are being made for the ultimate good but that is for someone else to decide.

No matter what the actual outcome even if He works it out for good it is always a youthful mistake when a young person abuses alcohol when he is just a teen.

Sincerely,
I