Did anyone watch 20/20 last night?

Guapo

I saw it...had a good laugh. Except when the came down on postal workers defending themselves from aggressive dogs.

TUT

I think this is heading in the right direction. Don't ship anything, that will show them. What a bit over a 100 million pkgs are moving daily, they are to be packaged to a spec you shouldn't have to baby them. And in a world of video phones, they busted the entire industry which everyone was "ok enough" with for the past 50 years. The whole "fragile sticker" is an urban legend and made up by whom? No carrier respects it and they tell the shippers upfront they don't.

yepyep

He was upset he worked too hard, no wait he didn't work enough . No it was the crappy hours. No, he was upset for those poor fragile packages. What a DB .

CJinx

Well, he's right. Handlers are worked like dogs, sent home as soon as possible to preserve DLH, fired at the drop of a hat(sort manager will look for ways to fire somebody if they don't like them), and are indirectly encouraged to take shortcuts like throwing packages by the constant "faster, faster" mentality hammered into their heads. It's nice that the hourly wage is, in most places, head and shoulders above minimum wage. However that does not help when some employees are lucky to see 15 hours a week at most.

I do not envy the people responsible for running the preload operation. The standards are ridiculously high and the only way for them to meet their goals is to find ways to game the system and, unfortunately, this is universally bad for the folks that work for them.

Goldilocks

There is a reason for every memo we recieve. The media memo came out right before this was aired.

The next segment was about paper trails. How many companies use this to get rid of employees. The only thing I can say is to please cover your butts. Keep a daily file of your timecards ( make notes on the back) any OLCC and even your v41. If dispatch sends you for a reatempt make note on your timecard.

I have seen many changes within Fedex but this will be the ultimate change. It is happening right now. Will it get worse? Maybe. Whats up for grabs would be our guarenteed hours, health insurance(which by the way many companies will be dropping health benifits due to Obama Care) Its just the way most companies are heading.

I do have mixed feelings about the courier who tossed the tv over the fence. Never once have I tossed a customers package and have always tried to place it in a safe and secure area. However I do understand the pressure couriers have these days with outrageous goals. No more time to find a secure area but only to Toss and Go. Its sad to think that everything we worked for to maintain our customers and to protect the reputation of Fedex has been tossed out the door because of the 20 sph and rtb times. Seems like our customers are getting sloppy service.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
He was upset he worked too hard, no wait he didn't work enough . No it was the crappy hours. No, he was upset for those poor fragile packages. What a DB .

All the more hilarious because it looked like a pilot's headset he had on.

There was an Express courier who was posting over at Fedexaminer who had some youtube videos that he made while in uniform and in his van/truck. The 1 I remember best was him showing his power pad and a dispatcher did something that he didn't like. He was dropping friend bombs like crazy and other assorted swear words and I wondered if he realized that no one is going to take him seriously. I'm not a fan of these vanity "whistleblower" videos for that reason.

thedownhillEXPRESS

"which by the way many companies will be dropping health benifits due to Obama Care Its just the way most companies are heading"

Goldi your logic makes no sense.
Fedex can drop your insurance now without any cost.
Obamacare will at least make them pay a fine per employee without coverage.

Goldilocks

"which by the way many companies will be dropping health benifits due to Obama Care Its just the way most companies are heading"

No your wrong, (we can have a gentlemans agreement) I dont agree with you. Bottom line, Obamacare is encouraging corporate america to drop all healthcare benifits for employees. In my 28 years this has never ever been brought up until now.

TUT

No your wrong, (we can have a gentlemans agreement) I dont agree with you. Bottom line, Obamacare is encouraging corporate america to drop all healthcare benifits for employees. In my 28 years this has never ever been brought up until now.

That is worst case/slippery slope stuff. We haven't really seen that yet in any large scale at all, right? I will believe until proven otherwise, if that became a defacto standard and this really hurt the middle class a major change would come in to trump that. I don't see this as their trying to fleece us, I see it as they are trying to help.

vantexan

That is worst case/slippery slope stuff. We haven't really seen that yet in any large scale at all, right? I will believe until proven otherwise, if that became a defacto standard and this really hurt the middle class a major change would come in to trump that. I don't see this as their trying to fleece us, I see it as they are trying to help.

The major changes in the law don't really kick in until 2014. But amongst the talking heads on tv it's pretty much a consensus that many if not most major corporations will just pay the penalty. This is actually what the gov't wants. Less carrying insurance will mean insurance companies will have much tougher time paying for those with pre-existing conditions. Insurance companies will fail, which will ultimately lead to a single payer system, the government. Obama himself has said in the past that the goal is to have a single payer system. With such they can mandate lower charges by hospitals and doctors. Problem with that is it leads to a shortage in doctors. Has happened everywhere tried. That leads to rationing which leads to either long waits or denial of service. Not a matter of Republican/Democrat just look at care in other countries. There's a reason those who can come to America for care. Or leaders like Castro or Chavez go to Europe(Spain) rather than deal with the issues of their own systems.

TUT

The major changes in the law don't really kick in until 2014. But amongst the talking heads on tv it's pretty much a consensus that many if not most major corporations will just pay the penalty. This is actually what the gov't wants. Less carrying insurance will mean insurance companies will have much tougher time paying for those with pre-existing conditions. Insurance companies will fail, which will ultimately lead to a single payer system, the government. Obama himself has said in the past that the goal is to have a single payer system. With such they can mandate lower charges by hospitals and doctors. Problem with that is it leads to a shortage in doctors. Has happened everywhere tried. That leads to rationing which leads to either long waits or denial of service. Not a matter of Republican/Democrat just look at care in other countries. There's a reason those who can come to America for care. Or leaders like Castro or Chavez go to Europe(Spain) rather than deal with the issues of their own systems.

Could be. But the talking heads and be honest, no reason to fib here... What are your talking head sources for this? Are you really hearing both sides?

Goldilocks

My question to you is that this has never been brought up until Obamacare. Now the talk and the walk will happen throughout Corporate America. Mark my word. This Will happen...Thank you Obama...2 thumbs down

thedownhillEXPRESS

My question to you is that this has never been brought up until Obamacare. Now the talk and the walk will happen throughout Corporate America. Mark my word. This Will happen...Thank you Obama...2 thumbs down

B.S.
Corporations have been eliminating or shrinking benefits like healthcare since the evil republican war against unions and the middle class began under regan.
At least this is a start to punish their greed..

Glorifiedpackmule

I just watched the guys blog on You Tube. I haven't worked at Ground but did work my way through college in a hub. He's pretty spot on. I unloaded and loaded trailers that looked like they were hit by a bomb. Nightly. For 3 years. It's the nature of the beast. FedEx does it, UPS does it, and I'm sure to some extent the USPS does it.