Did the 97' Strike affect any of you here?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yep .. read this several times as it has been posted several times.
TDU propaganda.
Read some of the posts on here about how UPS treats the drivers after 1997.
The economic benefit gained from the strike in reality was gone by 2002 ... not the $5billion estimated upon contract completion.

The memory of the 1997 strike is used by the down-trodden and easily confused to dredge up from their pathetic existence some feeling of power and success. :wink2:

See, anybody can write silly stuff while sounding educated.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I did not support the strike then and certainly would not support one today.

The union claimed that the strike was about the part timers but it was clear that the strike was about the pensions, which, in hindsight, we should have let the company take over.

The one positive I took from the strike is just how fortunate I am to have a career which allows me to take care of my family while preparing for a secure retirement.

There are no (long term) winners in a strike.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Orion is how it affected us all. The company has made sure it never happens again. Hoffa has lost every strength gained by the past contracts. Plus more. With the consession contracts he has given.

For me. I was able to hold my (18 yr old today) for 2 weeks. Wow! Times a flying.

Younger guys -- wise up. Vote

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

The union claimed that the strike was about the part timers but it was clear that the strike was about the pensions, which, in hindsight, we should have let the company take over.

The one positive I took from the strike is just how fortunate I am to have a career which allows me to take care of my family while preparing for a secure retirement.

Ask new management how their UPS pension is. I mean 401k.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

Of course you didn't support the strike.

Everybody on here has learned many, many times that you only care about yourself.

realbrown1

Which has nothing to do with anything here.
I actually think it does.

Do you think than UPS would do to us, what they did to management, if they could.

They are on the path to doing it now.

For me, I am less than 17 months away from having to pay deductibles for the 1st time in my life.

For a company that destroys it's employees bodies, that is just wrong.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I actually think it does.

Do you think than UPS would do to us, what they did to management, if they could.

They are on the path to doing it now.

For me, I am less than 17 months away from having to pay deductibles for the 1st time in my life.

For a company that destroys it's employees bodies, that is just wrong.
Ups running our pension would have nothing to do with that. The union would still dictate how much goes in for each employee.

The only difference is ups would control the money not the union.

realbrown1

Ups running our pension would have nothing to do with that. The union would still dictate how much goes in for each employee.

The only difference is ups would control the money not the union.
I wasn't talking about UPS running our pensions.

I was talking about UPS doing to the union what they did to management.

New employees won't have a pension, they'll have a 401k plan only.

And I'd you don't think that will effect everyone else in the pension funds you are crazy.

Pensions are ponzi schemes that rely on new money to help pay for retirees.

No new money equals massive pension cuts

Brownslave688

I wasn't talking about UPS running our pensions.

I was talking about UPS doing to the union what they did to management.

New employees won't have a pension, they'll have a 401k plan only.

And I'd you don't think that will effect everyone else in the pension funds you are crazy.

Pensions are ponzi schemes that rely on new money to help pay for retirees.

No new money equals massive pension cuts
Either your reading comprehension needs work or you think our money would of been pooled with magements money for 1 giant pension. Either way wow.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think the strike was a waste as far as the pension issue is concerned. I mean we eventually practically ended up voting yes on what we supposedly went on strike for. I'm starting to believe the theory that the strike was all about Ron Carey and he was just out "to get UPS" out of revenge for things that had happened to him before he was a union delegate.

To this day I still hear about how many people didn't even get to vote on whether or not to go on strike. This was a little over a year before I was hired so all I can do regurgitate what I've been told and read about it. So, I may be wrong. I do know that we have plenty of customers that haven't forgotten the strike. Many have preferred FedEx Ground since then.

PT Car Washer

Most customers blamed the strike on UPS not the Teamster members. We had solid support for standing up to big brown and their last best offer. Take it of leave it. The strike was a victory for all working people in this country.

realbrown1

Either your reading comprehension needs work or you think our money would of been pooled with magements money for 1 giant pension. Either way wow.
Where did I say UPS would (or even could) pool our pensions with managements?

I didn't.

So maybe you need to re-read my post

What I was saying was they could try that with us. No pensions for new hires.

And look at CS pension for an example of what happens with no new members.

How's Central States doing since UPS pulled out?

I know they weren't doing well, but now they are almost bankrupt.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

Where did I say UPS would (or even could) pool our pensions with managements?

I didn't.

So maybe you need to re-read my post

What I was saying was they could try that with us. No pensions for new hires.

And look at CS pension for an example of what happens with no new members.

How's Central States doing since UPS pulled out?

I know they weren't doing well, but now they are almost bankrupt.
Upstate said its looking like letting ups control the pension may have been the better decision.

Brown monster said ask management how their pension is.

The two are not related in any way unless you take some pretty generous liberties in assuming many things.