Did the 97' Strike affect any of you here?

oldngray

nowhere special
I was on vacation one week, no strike pay for the first week, then got something like $50 strike pay for another week. About enough to pay my union dues that month.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It was a question of who you trust to control your pension more - UPS or the union? A no win scenario.
It really isn't cause I only trust me.

I could be way off on this but this is how I see the two scenarios. Ups is going to be as efficient and aggressive with the money as they feel they can be. They don't want to pay a dime more into the pension fund than they have to.

The union want to keep membership happy with large payouts but figures they'll just ask the golden goose for more money if they need to.

It really isn't cause I only trust me.

I could be way off on this but this is how I see the two scenarios. Ups is going to be as efficient and aggressive with the money as they feel they can be. They don't want to pay a dime more into the pension fund than they have to.

The union want to keep membership happy with large payouts but figures they'll just ask the golden goose for more money if they need to.
Ups is already paying more than a fair share.

Last edited:
F

FrigidAdCorrector

Ask new management how their UPS pension is. I mean 401k.
It's fine. I set it up and UPS pulls the 3.5% out every month. Pensions are no longer the norm and are going the way of the dodo.

Nothing wrong about saving your own money for retirement.
For me, I am less than 17 months away from having to pay deductibles for the 1st time in my life.
You mean like pretty much every other job in the country? People on here like to complain about the benefits. But try getting those same ones anywhere else. Especially the healthcare ones. Hourlies have better insurance plans than senior management.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I also was on vacation .
My best moment was when the company called me to come back to work after the strike and I replied that I'd see them in a few weeks .

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You mean like pretty much every other job in the country? People on here like to complain about the benefits. But try getting those same ones anywhere else. Especially the healthcare ones. Hourlies have better insurance plans than senior management.
This is not like every other job in the country.