Did the intial interview, so how do I convey that I want the job?

Needle Ran

If you have called and they say that you are still a candidate, then believe them. They are not going to keep you hanging on for no reason.

This is how it works in my hub, yours sounds different. First the tour, then about half the time interview the same time, other half they interview at a later date, but usually within a few days. If things are good at that time, they interview with a sup/manager for the sort that you want, and after that get put on a list so when there is a need, they call from that list. They seem to be continuously running tours whether they are hiring or not, just to keep that list stocked.
That's the thing, they only told us to "leave a message" so I really haven't talked to a live person since the first interview and the tour. I do have the office's and HR rep's number from the first meeting, but I don't want to be a pest. Also, since it's summer, they probably know loads of college kids are going to jump ship now which is probably the main reason they're loading up on tours.

The thing that attracted me most to this job though is that I heard it was easy to get hired without an extensive interview process or at least with this location. And I suck hard at anything more than a basic interview, so that was a major plus for me.

I guess I just have to hope the new hires that they "liked" better than the ones that aren't getting call backs quit in a few days, but then again, there's probably a bus full of people loaded up to interview right after that the way things are going, so who knows.

upschuck

That's the thing, they only told us to "leave a message" so I really haven't talked to a live person since the first interview and the tour. I do have the office's and HR rep's number from the first meeting, but I don't want to be a pest. Also, since it's summer, they probably know loads of college kids are going to jump ship now which is probably the main reason they're loading up on tours.

The thing that attracted me most to this job though is that I heard it was easy to get hired without an extensive interview process or at least with this location. And I suck hard at anything more than a basic interview, so that was a major plus for me.

I guess I just have to hope the new hires that they "liked" better than the ones that aren't getting call backs quit in a few days, but then again, there's probably a bus full of people loaded up to interview right after that the way things are going, so who knows.
Don't sell yourself short. All they are looking for is someone that can do the job. Unless you said you couldn't, then you will eventually get a call when they need another person.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Sorry to hear that. UPS is not for everyone. If you don't plan on waiting it out and go fulltime driving, then this is not for you.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
lol, yeah, I know...

I'm just going to ease off of them for now as the woman said go ahead and call back if we don't get the call in a few days, so I followed her directions, so that's it, I've done my part. All I can do is wait.

So here's hoping that 1) They don't read these forums and 2) They don't figure out who it is, cause if either one happens, I'm toast.:bored2:

Heres a funny and inconceivable story; I was actually fired without being notified during my probabational period. I noticed that I couldn't clock in and thought it was some little error or malfunction. The next day I got a call from HR, luckily, I missed the call. The HR that hired me worked (works) at a different building from the one that I work at. To this day, I wonder what that call entailed. I have no doubt that one of the HR sharks read one of my posts on here and found out it was me then canned me on their computer. Luckily, they fired me without notifying me or any of my supervisors from my building, so I kept working and made book. My supervisor said someone fired me on accident, but I doubt it was any accident.

Ms.PacMan

My exact words after working a peak season were, "You either hire me or I swear to God I'll never work for UPS again". That did it.

PT Car Washer

Heres a funny and inconceivable story; I was actually fired without being notified during my probabational period. I noticed that I couldn't clock in and thought it was some little error or malfunction. The next day I got a call from HR, luckily, I missed the call. The HR that hired me worked (works) at a different building from the one that I work at. To this day, I wonder what that call entailed. I have no doubt that one of the HR sharks read one of my posts on here and found out it was me then canned me on their computer. Luckily, they fired me without notifying me or any of my supervisors from my building, so I kept working and made book. My supervisor said someone fired me on accident, but I doubt it was any accident.
I was doing Saturday Air a couple of decades ago when everyone else worked in the hub and I worked preload. Sup coded me out to the hub and when payroll could not find me they just assumed I quit or was fired. Didn't know about it until I was not paid for a Holiday. Long before the Internet or Browncafe.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I was doing Saturday Air a couple of decades ago when everyone else worked in the hub and I worked preload. Sup coded me out to the hub and when payroll could not find me they just assumed I quit or was fired. Didn't know about it until I was not paid for a Holiday. Long before the Internet or Browncafe.

I found out and put everything together when my supervisor told me that someone fired me on accident, and it made perfect sense.

Z

ZQXC

Retail,.........Retail, Retail?

Seriously, Retail?

Imagine the Jim Mora playoff rant ? Google it

Needle Ran

Don't sell yourself short. All they are looking for is someone that can do the job. Unless you said you couldn't, then you will eventually get a call when they need another person.
Yeah, my application is still active, so I'm not going to 100% write off getting a call back.

Thing is it'll probably after a few of the people they "favored" quit in a few days due to the hardwork, so I'm looking at 2 weeks tops after their training which is fine except I'm in no position to wait and there are jobs I could make a month's salary as a package handler in one pay period with not even a fraction of the work.

I guess this is more of a position to look at if you're in need of extra cash or just looking to move up like someone else said and don't need it as a main job which is probably one of the main reasons for the high turnover rate.

Sorry to hear that. UPS is not for everyone. If you don't plan on waiting it out and go fulltime driving, then this is not for you.
I'm not too bummed out about it, I just wish they didn't string me along like they did.

Also, since they've give me time to think about this, I'm thinking more and more I'd be better off else where.

If they really need people, they should snag the people willing to work while they have the chance.

So it isn't just paranoia making me put up smoke screens, eh?

I'm glad I didn't go all out with the location etc., because if they really, really knew what I thought about their little "selection process" here, I wouldn't have a lick of a chance in at this location or any other in my area for that matter, so I'm keeping my mouth shut.
laugh.gif

My exact words after working a peak season were, "You either hire me or I swear to God I'll never work for UPS again". That did it.
If I don't get in, that'll probably be the time I apply again.

Maybe then they'll be a wee bit less picky then.

Ummm......if you think working retail is a "physical" job, you will be in for quite a shock....jusy sayin. This job is more physically demanding than any retail job I've ever had.
It was during the holiday season, so it was pretty much the same thing: unloading trucks, putting product on the shelves as quickly as possible, and then if it was a busy day, we had to bus carts with no cart machine until it slowed down which literally felt like hell on earth if it was on the beginning side of your shift.

Even with all that tho, I'm know it's a big step up work load wise which is why I was bracing myself for it, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it once I get used to it

Retail,.........Retail, Retail?
Seriously, Retail?
Imagine the Jim Mora playoff rant ? Google it
Oh I'm all too aware

jim-mora-playoffs-o.gif

Yeah, I've heard. I believe it's about 18 here.

The way things are going now though, I probably don't even have to worry about it. I might just start applying to their rivals.

If you don't need the benefits and want to make a little bit more hourly then applying to FedEx ground as a package handler wouldn't be a terrible idea. However, if you have any aspiration of driving try to get on with UPS. Browse the FedEx forums and see how many disgruntled employees we have, it's not sunshine and rainbows over here either.

That is if they even let me work that is which I'm starting to doubt...

A lot has changed since the last decade. Employers are way more strict in hammering stuff like this down you're throat which I guess isn't a surprise considering the economic climate.

But still, it makes me wish I has older so I could have entered the job market then and not now. And the worst thing is, I see it getting a lot worse before it gets any better.

Oh and one more thing on this, I doubt it was my timing. I think I just didn't make the cut.

There were like 20+ people there when they gave the tour and they took like forever once they issued us back into the room where we were addressed initially, so I put it at about 95% that's the time they were judging who they were going to call back right away, and who they were just going to leave waiting. And looking back, I probably have a great idea of who probably got the call back promptly. I guess I seemed too cavalier or something.

Regardless, as I said, I saw appointments open up again on the application page like a few days after for my shift, so the way I see it, that's not a great sign considering all they had to do is ring me up if they wanted to finish the hire considering how far I am in the process, so I'm obviously not their first pick either way it goes. Seeing how the first interview was very basic, scratch the 95%: I'm now 100% sure they use the tour somehow in their screening process. At least at my location.

I'll probably give them one more call and that's it for the time being. I'm need a job way too much to play follow up call games at the moment which is a shame since I did want this job.

Maybe I'll apply again during the holiday when they actually need people if it doesn't work out and maybe I can even get a better shift. Or hopefully, I'll have steady job so I won't have to. It all depends.

But for now, I'm probably done barring a miracle of some sort.

The new appointments that were put up may have been for a different shift. When I took my tour of my local UPS hub we were given a number to call the next day between 11 and 11:30 to leave a message if we were still interested. A few days later I received a phone call from the HR person in the hub and we set up an interview. It may take a few days, and if you don't get a call reapply.

Needle Ran

If you don't need the benefits and want to make a little bit more hourly then applying to FedEx ground as a package handler wouldn't be a terrible idea. However, if you have any aspiration of driving try to get on with UPS. Browse the FedEx forums and see how many disgruntled employees we have, it's not sunshine and rainbows over here either.
I'll look into it.

I'm probably going to have to give up on package handler for the time being seeing as most require essentially 2 interviews and I've already poured more gas money into to this one that I'd care to with not much to show for it. So I guess back to retail it is.

The new appointments that were put up may have been for a different shift. When I took my tour of my local UPS hub we were given a number to call the next day between 11 and 11:30 to leave a message if we were still interested. A few days later I received a phone call from the HR person in the hub and we set up an interview. It may take a few days, and if you don't get a call reapply.
Nah, it's no question it was for the shift I chose. I have a second application for the morning shift for the exact same location and it told me they had an appointment available for the one I just took the tour for, so I guess the guy that conducted the it didn't like what he saw in the tour group or something.

But considering some of the people at that hub, I have no idea what that could be.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Yeah, my application is still active, so I'm not going to 100% write off getting a call back.

Thing is it'll probably after a few of the people they "favored" quit in a few days due to the, so I'm looking at 2 weeks tops after their training which is fine except I'm in no position to wait and there are jobs I could make a month's salary as a package handler in one pay period with not even a fraction of the work.

I guess this is more of a position to look at if you're in need of extra cash or just looking to move up like someone else said and don't need it as a main job which is probably one of the main reasons for the high turnover rate.

I'm not too bummed out about it, I just wish they didn't string me along like they did.

Also, since they've give me time to think about this, I'm thinking more and more I'd be better off else where.

If they really need people, they should snag the people willing to work while they have the chance.

So it isn't just paranoia making me put up smoke screens, eh?

I'm glad I didn't go all out with the location etc., because if they really, really knew what I thought about their little "selection process" here, I wouldn't have a lick of a chance in at this location or any other in my area for that matter, so I'm keeping my mouth shut.
laugh.gif

If I don't get in, that'll probably be the time I apply again.

Maybe then they'll be a wee bit less picky then.

It was during the holiday season, so it was pretty much the same thing: unloading trucks, putting product on the shelves as quickly as possible, and then if it was a busy day, we had to bus carts with no cart machine until it slowed down which literally felt like hell on earth if it was on the beginning side of your shift.

Even with all that tho, I'm know it's a big step up work load wise which is why I was bracing myself for it, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it once I get used to it

Oh I'm all too aware

jim-mora-playoffs-o.gif

We're talking about unloading about 7000 or more packages a day. That includes tires, rugs, woods, etc that weight up to 150 pounds. Sometimes its no fun. Especially in this heat when you get a truck full of heavy 68-73ib packages or a truck full of 5 ft wide 6 ft long woods that weights 70ibs or more. You'll have days when you feel like its worth flipping burgers instead of flipping packages at UPS. That retail loading or unloading thing is a joke compared to UPS's.

Needle Ran

We're talking about unloading about 7000 or more packages a day. That includes tires, rugs, woods, etc that weight up to 150 pounds. Sometimes its no fun. Especially in this heat when you get a truck full of heavy 68-73ib packages or a truck full of 5 ft wide 6 ft long woods that weights 70ibs or more. You'll have days when you feel like its worth flipping burgers instead of flipping packages at UPS. That retail loading or unloading thing is a joke compared to UPS's.
I know which is why I'm attempting to get in more shape for it.

I'm actually more worried about being too slow rather than how hard the work is. But I'm aware that can change real quick.

I can't believe we are now on reply 55 and three pages of a person who doesn't even work here yet !!
Well not anymore: They finally called me yesterday. I feel like such a cry baby now as they said the 2nd meeting meant I was already in and they were just waiting for a few more spots to open. I seriously hope like hell they don't read these threads.

But yeah, I'm in barring they don't pull some over book crap on the day I start, so color me brown.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I know which is why I'm attempting to get in more shape for it.

I'm actually more worried about being too slow rather than how hard the work is. But I'm aware that can change real quick.

Well not anymore: They finally called me yesterday. I feel like such a cry baby now as they said the 2nd meeting meant I was already in and they were just waiting for a few more spots to open. I seriously hope like hell they don't read these threads.

But yeah, I'm in barring they don't pull some over book crap on the day I start, so color me brown.

It really depends on your luck and circumstances. Some people that I've seen made book had it really easy during their probation period. Some people (like me) had it really tough. I was treated and worked like a dog. I hope that doesn't happen to you. I was really really neared to quitting.