Did you splurge on anything

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You can do a RothIRA outside of the 401k as long as you do not exceed the maximum combined.
You can max out both your 401k and a Roth IRA, ie, 24,000(over 50) in the 401K and 6500(over 50) in the IRA for 30,500 total.
Not sure if that's what you were saying.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
First of all congratulations on making top rate. you deserve to splurge a little. maybe a nice dinner and / or a couple nice purchases from Costco.

what we did was to continue living on the lower rate until we saved 15 grand for a down payment on a house. that house now is worth over 400 grand ( it cost 150k ) and its paid off.

a lot of people go out and buy a big truck and then buy a trailer , motorcycles, snowmobiles, atv, and the toys to go with the trailer. all depreciating things. after a couple years they start moaning about the costs of owning these things. maintenance, insurance, repairs , etc.

pretty soon you need all that OT to take care of your "stuff". its like a noose around your neck.

KISS. keep it simple stupid. and enjoy life.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
My advice is very similar to everyone else. But I will say marrying someone who makes even more than you will also make retirement planning even easier!!!

Browndriver5

Women my age suck. They have all had everything handed to them their whole life and don't respect men and if they are not the latter they have kids

Just wondering if anyone went and bought anything when you reached full scale. Or are you planing on some thing when you reach full-scale and get that 12$ hr raise? Boat, car, vacation, maybe you moved to a new house, remodeled your current home, or maybe you just put most of it in the bank.
Max out the 401k and thank me later.