Did you work your butt off when you first started?

hoser

Industrial Slob
i always work hard at my jobs. i came to ups and the first few weeks were....rough. but i stuck with it. after a few weeks, i busted my ass off because i would have liked to have been a supervisor (ha ha, look where that ended up). one day (three months in), i realized something. i said to myself "i keep working hard and i get no reward for it, just more work."

so i said 'screw it'. i show up and i work hard when it benefits me. i hate to say it, but this place doesn't motivate me to do my best. maybe its the fact that they won't empower me to do my best...

Overpaid Union Thug

i always work hard at my jobs. i came to ups and the first few weeks were....rough. but i stuck with it. after a few weeks, i busted my ass off because i would have liked to have been a supervisor (ha ha, look where that ended up). one day (three months in), i realized something. i said to myself "i keep working hard and i get no reward for it, just more work."

so i said 'screw it'. i show up and i work hard when it benefits me. i hate to say it, but this place doesn't motivate me to do my best. maybe its the fact that they won't empower me to do my best...

That almost mirrors my first three or four months at UPS. I noticed that the people that worked hard were only rewarded with more work while the rest just sleep walked through the night. Meanwhile...over at RPS...I was being rewarded for hard work with a Shifting job. Just didn't make since to me. I've found that it's better to just pace myself. Not to work too hard but at the same time not letting up too much. If we are all going to be doing this job for 30 years then we need to respect our bodies.

upsman415

yes when i first started they got me unloding trailers and i wanted to quit my first day. 13 years later driving brown trucks and taking it easy...

diesel96

You sound like some of the lazy teamsters at my building. You must be an article 22.3 worker. That's whats wrong with the company, people not having work efforts. After 8 years I still small sort over 2800 per hour, unload in less then 50 min, # 1 primary sorter in the building, and can preload five cars during peak. I work harder now then when I started.

To God's gift to Preload.Bragging how far superior your work efforts are doesn't score you any points in Brown Cafe or to "lazy Teamsters"or "hard working Teamsters",maybe you should send your resume to your mngmt team.
Don't forget the Article from our Nat'l Contract about the pay and benefits you enjoy.
And lastly,quality outwieghs quantity,ask the drivers of the 5 cars you load.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Not to work too hard but at the same time not letting up too much. If we are all going to be doing this job for 30 years then we need to respect our bodies.

i do it for tactical and political reasons: make me happy, reward me for my work, and make me at least feel that i'm apart of this company's success, i'll bust my ass off. otherwise, i'll do enough to get by.

You sound like some of the lazy teamsters at my building. You must be an article 22.3 worker. That's whats wrong with the company, people not having work efforts. After 8 years I still small sort over 2800 per hour, unload in less then 50 min, # 1 primary sorter in the building, and can preload five cars during peak. I work harder now then when I started.
good for you. seriously. but you sound like the tools in my building that don't toe the union line and will defend the supervisor that doesn't give a crap to their death, simply because they're manipulated by the supervisor into thinking that the supervisor seriously cares. you sound like the renegade unionized psuedo-supervsior that only gets his way from the other employees because he's an employee. you sound like the person that takes an unskilled job like this way too seriously, and you sound like the kind of employee in my building that works dangerously and seriously thinks that ups will back him up if he gets injured.

lost

i do it for tactical and political reasons: make me happy, reward me for my work, and make me at least feel that i'm apart of this company's success, i'll bust my ass off. otherwise, i'll do enough to get by.

good for you. seriously. but you sound like the tools in my building that don't toe the union line and will defend the supervisor that doesn't give a crap to their death, simply because they're manipulated by the supervisor into thinking that the supervisor seriously cares. you sound like the renegade unionized psuedo-supervsior that only gets his way from the other employees because he's an employee. you sound like the person that takes an unskilled job like this way too seriously, and you sound like the kind of employee in my building that works dangerously and seriously thinks that ups will back him up if he gets injured.

I have to disagree, not all sups are like that... I care about everyone of my people, not just if they show up or not, but how they feel physicaly, mentaly, if they are happy or whatever they are going through. I have had several ask advise from me on personal issues. I know what most of them do on for second jobs, how many kids they have... Like I have posted before I have not forgotten what it is like to load, unload, pick off.. etc... even the employees that are hard to deal with, I care about, we are all human and have feelings and problems, just because there is a collar on my shirt does not mean I have forgotten that. However I will say that there are alot of sups like that, just not all of us.

DS

Fenderbender
I started at 35 yrs old as a ft driver and my first 3 days I was with a sup,30 stops,next day 40,next day 60...the very next day,we had a wicked february snowstorm and I went out with
120 del stops my first day alone...some guy took 10 off me around 630pm left me with 30 resis,got home around 1130pm...but I was "IN" They apologized for overdispatching me~ I worked my butt off for about a year I never got
lunch...but I do now...

hoser

Industrial Slob
I have to disagree, not all sups are like that... I care about everyone of my people, not just if they show up or not, but how they feel physicaly, mentaly, if they are happy or whatever they are going through. I have had several ask advise from me on personal issues. I know what most of them do on for second jobs, how many kids they have... Like I have posted before I have not forgotten what it is like to load, unload, pick off.. etc... even the employees that are hard to deal with, I care about, we are all human and have feelings and problems, just because there is a collar on my shirt does not mean I have forgotten that. However I will say that there are alot of sups like that, just not all of us.
Good for you. UPS is very lucky to have you, but they will never realize it. You will continue this mentality, you will eventually become jaded, and you will move on to a better firm that will appreciate your qualities.

There's a supervisor like that on twilight. She's really good. If I want something to be done for me on the midnight shift, I go to her because I will do it. And I know it will be done because everyone likes her. In a year, I guarantee you she'll quit and go to a trucking company where she will be treated better.

Believe me, I wanted to be a supervisor, and I halted that trajectory because of this reality. UPS takes good people, blinds them, binds them, beats the sh-t out of them, then helps them up and says "ok! now go supervise." A supervisor is only as good as the company wants that supervisor to be. As good as a person and supervisor that you are, you'll probably agree with me that UPS does not empower you to do the very best.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Another thing, especially for the rookies: find out what you're entitled to and take what you are entitled to. I see way too many new people that work their asses off and the supervisor butters them up into doing extra tasks that they don't have to do. They'll butter them up into staying late and taking OT. They'll get sucked into that, and then they are trapped. I was in that position, too.

There's one kid that works 6 days a week, the sunday preload right through he friday midnight sort. He's entitled to friday off, but he asked permission to get that friday night off. He was told no, I found out about this and flipped out to him; he should tell the supervisor that he's taking friday off. If I didn't tell him that, he would have expected to get only one night of rest. In a unionized shop, of all places!

There's a difference between working your butt off and standing up for your rights and getting used by the supervisors so they can meet their numbers. I'm not going to tell someone what to do (if they want OT, that's fine), but I just lose it when the new guys get socialized by the supervisors that they don't have rights (like the right to refuse work after 5 hours, supervisors can't do work, etc).

I worked my ass off and was really keen, and I got suckered in for about four months. At least I learned something about it.

lost

Good for you. UPS is very lucky to have you, but they will never realize it. You will continue this mentality, you will eventually become jaded, and you will move on to a better firm that will appreciate your qualities.

There's a supervisor like that on twilight. She's really good. If I want something to be done for me on the midnight shift, I go to her because I will do it. And I know it will be done because everyone likes her. In a year, I guarantee you she'll quit and go to a trucking company where she will be treated better.

Believe me, I wanted to be a supervisor, and I halted that trajectory because of this reality. UPS takes good people, blinds them, binds them, beats the sh-t out of them, then helps them up and says "ok! now go supervise." A supervisor is only as good as the company wants that supervisor to be. As good as a person and supervisor that you are, you'll probably agree with me that UPS does not empower you to do the very best.

very true, I get the sh*** beat out of me everyday because I am not a hard a** like they want me to be. I did come down hard on an employee today, but the thing behind that is the fact that 2 weeks ago he had a bet going with another loader he could wrap up first, and he did first on the boxline for 2 days!! and has been last to wrap up ever since then, I even had an open cage for 2 hours today and he wrapped AFTER the guy in the open cage, another employee told me he is doing it on purpose to ensure he gets OT. The thing he does not have to There are other areas on the other side of the boxline he can go to and get his OT.

lost

Another thing, especially for the rookies: find out what you're entitled to and take what you are entitled to. I see way too many new people that work their asses off and the supervisor butters them up into doing extra tasks that they don't have to do. They'll butter them up into staying late and taking OT. They'll get sucked into that, and then they are trapped. I was in that position, too.

There's one kid that works 6 days a week, the sunday preload right through he friday midnight sort. He's entitled to friday off, but he asked permission to get that friday night off. He was told no, I found out about this and flipped out to him; he should tell the supervisor that he's taking friday off. If I didn't tell him that, he would have expected to get only one night of rest. In a unionized shop, of all places!

There's a difference between working your butt off and standing up for your rights and getting used by the supervisors so they can meet their numbers. I'm not going to tell someone what to do (if they want OT, that's fine), but I just lose it when the new guys get socialized by the supervisors that they don't have rights (like the right to refuse work after 5 hours, supervisors can't do work, etc).

I worked my ass off and was really keen, and I got suckered in for about four months. At least I learned something about it.

Yeah I noticed 91/2 years ago that if you are good you get "thanked" by more work and if you suck, well thats ok they just make the good ones take up the sorry persons slack and nothing gets done about the person who cant or wont do the job. I have a kid now that goes above and beyond the call of duty and always have, he HAD the best persona. Well the full timer keeps adding more work to him, like now he loads his cage for a rev, sorts for a rev, loads a rev, does irregs a rev etc... and still pulls 40 pieces over his pph goal poor guy is sooooo worn out, then he goes to his second job at CVS after being beat down like that. Now I tell him, hey look, boss is going to want you to go help so&so after you wrap but hey if I dont see you leave then I cant tell you to go. So wrap-up and skip on outta here before the boss sees you.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Did I work my butt off when I first started? Hmmmm . . .

I was hired in the last week of November 2003. I was sent to a different city for orientation and over the course of three days I received 9 total hours of training. The following Monday I showed up to my first day on the job. Got to ride along with a guy while he did his route to observe. Day two was more of the same, as was day three. On day four I was told to start at 4:30 a.m. to learn the morning routine, as that was to be what I would be doing.

So, I show up on day 4 at the ungodly hour of 4:30, eyes are barely open. It's -20 outside. I go to the airport to load that days air into a pkg car and bring it back to the centre. I unload that. Then I start unloading trailers while the full-time drivers are starting. I continue to unload trailers for the next two hours. Then I am thrown on a full-time route during peak season, having only a rudimentary knowledge of how the DIAD works. Quickly realized how little I knew about the city I had lived in all my life. Came back from that first day exhausted and frozen . . . after working 14 hours! And I was a rookie and only part-time!

12 to 14 hour days were the norm during my first peak season, all the way up to Dec. 22 when I got suspended for side-swiping the tire rack and tearing a nice hole in the side of my p300.

During my first month I lost over 20 lbs.

Now that I'm full-time and I have my own route I put in on average about 10 hours a day. We don't have a pre-load here so the first two hours are spent loading my truck, spazzing out about 4th floor walk-up bulk stops, worrying if I'm gonna get all my air done, then it's 8 hrs on road trying not to run over seniors or strangle any bitchy customers - the latter becoming increasingly difficult as the heat of the summer intensifies.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Did I work my butt off when I first started? Hmmmm . . .

I was hired in the last week of November 2003. I was sent to a different city for orientation and over the course of three days I received 9 total hours of training. The following Monday I showed up to my first day on the job. Got to ride along with a guy while he did his route to observe. Day two was more of the same, as was day three. On day four I was told to start at 4:30 a.m. to learn the morning routine, as that was to be what I would be doing.

So, I show up on day 4 at the ungodly hour of 4:30, eyes are barely open. It's -20 outside. I go to the airport to load that days air into a pkg car and bring it back to the centre. I unload that. Then I start unloading trailers while the full-time drivers are starting. I continue to unload trailers for the next two hours. Then I am thrown on a full-time route during peak season, having only a rudimentary knowledge of how the DIAD works. Quickly realized how little I knew about the city I had lived in all my life. Came back from that first day exhausted and frozen . . . after working 14 hours! And I was a rookie and only part-time!

12 to 14 hour days were the norm during my first peak season, all the way up to Dec. 22 when I got suspended for side-swiping the tire rack and tearing a nice hole in the side of my p300.

During my first month I lost over 20 lbs.

Now that I'm full-time and I have my own route I put in on average about 10 hours a day. We don't have a pre-load here so the first two hours are spent loading my truck, spazzing out about 4th floor walk-up bulk stops, worrying if I'm gonna get all my air done, then it's 8 hrs on road trying not to run over seniors or strangle any bitchy customers - the latter becoming increasingly difficult as the heat of the summer intensifies.
this all sucks. then you get your direct deposit on friday :wink:

olympicking

olympic_king
I tell supervisors and management how to runthe unload. I train the unloaders how to unload and the new sorters how to sort so that they want become like some of the lazy senority people. You sound like some of these puppet union worker with Hoffa hand up them doing the talking. I bet you hoffa told you what to type

hoser

Industrial Slob
I tell supervisors and management how to runthe unload. I train the unloaders how to unload and the new sorters how to sort so that they want become like some of the lazy senority people. You sound like some of these puppet union worker with Hoffa hand up them doing the talking. I bet you hoffa told you what to type
:lol:
i'm a conservative. so no, i'm not really in hoffa's pocket.

you tell the people how to run each workstation because ups falls short on it's obligation to tell you (the unionized worker) how to run that work station. they're supposed to teach you. you're supposed to do what they tell you to, not the other way around. it's how a unionized environment works, no matter how much you dislike it. ups is just too arrogant to admit it.

ups is the only organization out of the eight organizations that never taught me how to do my job. they gave me the DG training, told me not to walk on rollers, and pushed me out. no training on how the trailers work, how to safely unload, how to operate the equipment, what do do if a package comes with no service selected on the waybill. they just leave that for us to learn ourselves, or the anti-union whippersnapper.

so, uh, yeah. do as you please. but i'm going to take my rights; refusing unsafe work, sick days, walking off and not looking back after five hours, asking the supervisor what to do if i see an unsafe situation every time i see an unsafe situation (about once every fifteen minutes), asking the supervisor for directions on how to lift an overweight every time i see one, filing grievances whenever a sup touches a package, never throwing boxes. you a call it laziness, i call it taking taking everything that i'm entitled to. i pay $40 a month for these rights, i'm gonna take them.

and best of all, i'm doing absolutely nothing wrong :w00t:. you get written up working your ass off and throwing boxes, you think ups is gonna back you up? no. but the union will.

the reason why ups violates our rights, gets sued (successfully) for insulting their supervisors, and does not acknowledge seniority is people like you. you don't have to be pro-union, but you should at least be pro-taking-what-you're-entitled-to.

Sammie

when you guys started, did you do more work than you actually had to do?

You know, there are a ton of people who apply for driver and pt positions and they give it their best but they just can't do it. Your jobs aren't for everybody!

I worked in HR for several years and processed the paperwork for the many who gave it a shot but also gave it up.They weren't fired, they just realized that the regimentation and hard physical work wasn't for them. We even had a few cops now and then who realized that drivers made more money than they did, and every one of them worked for a short duration before walking away...

I'll never forget what some of my driver friends told me about their first few days at UPS. They received their standard first two or three days of supervisor training and help, and then came the first big day out on their own.

Just trying to wrap their minds around this new way of making a living where every second counts, realizing how many packages there were to deliver and the impossible number of pickups he had, learning a new area, remembering the methods, etc., etc., etc. these grown men panicked and admitted to bursting into tears and throwing pkgs around in the back of their pkg cars in their frustration (and hoping nobody walked by and heard them!!)

Yeah, I'd say that falls under 'working your butt off when you first started!'

Griff

I was never told about the 30 days to hire you, 30 years to fire you ruleset. For my first 30 days I worked hard (always do), but I wasn't in a frenzy trying to hit scratch because I didn't know about the 30 day timeline. I didn't run, took my lunch and break and followed the methods from day 1. I'm assuming I hit scratch one of the days because I got hired and the rest is history.

olympicking

olympic_king
UPS is not just management company but hourly company too. Old Tymers always want to put hourly vs management but it should be ups vs fedex and dhl. I also know my rights and get my hours as a part- time worker. Last week I worked two 12 hr shift because lazy teamsters on night shifts wants to load buckets of paints side ways with heavy boxes on top. Thanks for the hours Grande Vista

hoser

Industrial Slob
UPS is not just management company but hourly company too. Old Tymers always want to put hourly vs management but it should be ups vs fedex and dhl. I also know my rights and get my hours as a part- time worker. Last week I worked two 12 hr shift because lazy teamsters on night shifts wants to load buckets of paints side ways with heavy boxes on top. Thanks for the hours Grande Vista
take what you want. but i can't stand being there for more than 5 hours. how someone can tolerate that place for 12 hours beats the hell out of me.