Didn't disclose ovi during interview

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by interview guy, Jun 11, 2015.

1. interview guy

interview guy New Member

I passed the MRE and received an offer over the phone for an MIT position, contingent on passing the background check. I got an OVI about four months ago.

The application online only asked if I had been convicted of a felony and I wasn't asked during the interview if I had been arrested before. I got the phone call on Friday so it has been nearly a week since Ive heard anything.

I knew the OVI was going to show up on the background check so I didn't see the point in defaming myself during the interview and with the first time I met the man who would be my boss. The long response time could also be due to the background check vendor taking a while too. I hope my offer hasn't been revoked because of this. Will an ovi DQ me? I had never even gotten a moving violation before this.

2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Wth is an OVI??

3. interview guy

interview guy New Member

It's Ohio's dui (operating a vehicle under the influence)

4. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Ovulating Vile Intoxicated

5. bleedinbrown58

Good job. If you knew it was going to show up on the background check....I would've been up front and honest about it, and shown that I regret the mistake I made and take responsibility for it. But that's just me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. interview guy

interview guy New Member

But it's going to show up anyway. If I tried to lie about it from there that would be dishonest. If I had stabbed someone in a bar fight or committed armed robbery that'd be something I think would warrant explaining remorse.

7. bleedinbrown58

You mean you don't regret drinking and driving?

8. interview guy

interview guy New Member

Don't get me wrong, it was a huge mistake and something I'v learned from. Lot's of people have dui's though so that was my train of thought for not sharing it during the interview.

So I'm not sure if they saw it and just dismissed me, or if I'm being paranoid and the background check is taking a little longer. Is a week a typical timeframe?

9. interview guy

interview guy New Member

To answer your question, yes. I very much regret the decision to drink and drive.

10. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

They will soon know that you are not completely upfront with them.

If they are going to know anyways, why not tell them, you can then say how dumb you were.

11. interview guy

interview guy New Member

Well how long do these background checks usually take anyway?

I'm not convinced that not telling them I had a one time, isolated misdemeanor, that I have learned from is not going to get me the job.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Uh, no they don't.

13. UpstateNYUPSer

Triple negative?

14. interview guy

interview guy New Member

You'd be surprised.

Look I am legitimately looking for advice here. You have 3,000 posts so surely you have something more constructive to say than that. Otherwise you need not chime in. Thanks.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

I don't know who this was intended for but if it was for me I will tell you that I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who is stupid enough to get behind the wheel after having a bit too much to drink and that they deserve everything that they have coming to them.

You do know that HR monitors this forum on a regular basis, don't you?

16. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Hard to say, they could see you have a drinking problem, and might consider that a liability. They easily might have gone to the next one in line.
    After all, I doubt the first time a person is caught for DUI, is the first time they have driven under the influence.

17. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute......
    I thought you said "buzzed driving" was okay?

18. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Ummm... no, I never said that...

19. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You've legitimately been told by many people you should of just told them but it's too late now. So what the :censored2: do you want us to do about it?

20. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

My comment was directed at upstate.