Didn't make drivers Union before peak . Couple days left.

By The Book

So what are you worried about. If you got hired on as a full timer you won't be laid off, because your full time.
In the odd chance he made book and doesn't know it, he will be laid off from driving when it slows and would be able to bump back into part time work if his contracts has language for it. I want to know what the king of queens did for those 2 weeks. Tell me you weren't on vacation. How many days did he drive in the first 90 days?

By The Book

Was the next on top of the list . Went through the while hr process . Did report to the center and was the newest full time driver . I have 2 days left to make book after the freeze if its 40 . If it 30 in in
Did the center manager cash you out of your sick days and vacation days after your ride along? Who rode with you, and on what working day was that. Was it on day 30?

TheKingOfQueens

Did the center manager cash you out of your sick days and vacation days after your ride along? Who rode with you, and on what working day was that. Was it on day 30?

The center manager rode me . It was day 33. Got sent home for 2 weeks and no it wasn't vacation . I didn't get paid . I have 2 days left to hit 40 but won't go into effect until the 15th. We get 5 days towards seniority tacked on because of the holidays which would make it 38 days for me as of right now.

TheKingOfQueens

In the odd chance he made book and doesn't know it, he will be laid off from driving when it slows and would be able to bump back into part time work if his contracts has language for it. I want to know what the king of queens did for those 2 weeks. Tell me you weren't on vacation. How many days did he drive in the first 90 days?

Drove 33 days and still driving up until the 15th when I'll be sent back to warehouse for days to reset

By The Book

The center manager rode me . It was day 33. Got sent home for 2 weeks and no it wasn't vacation . I didn't get paid . I have 2 days left to hit 40 but won't go into effect until the 15th. We get 5 days towards seniority tacked on because of the holidays which would make it 38 days for me as of right now.
He rode you all right, lol. How many days does it take you to qualify? Is it 30? You say you get 5 days tacked on which means you know bits and pieces of how your probation works, but the amount of days needed is huge. Did you show up and were sent home for those 2 weeks? You mentioned that lower seniority drivers worked during this time, that if verified is what will help you here. Have you talked to your BA? Usually when part timers become full time they are cashed out of vacation and sick days. Then they start accruing these days as a full timer so the pay rates are correct.

TheKingOfQueens

He rode you all right, lol. How many days does it take you to qualify? Is it 30? You say you get 5 days tacked on which means you know bits and pieces of how your probation works, but the amount of days needed is huge. Did you show up and were sent home for those 2 weeks? You mentioned that lower seniority drivers worked during this time, that if verified is what will help you here. Have you talked to your BA? Usually when part timers become full time they are cashed out of vacation and sick days. Then they start accruing these days as a full timer so the pay rates are correct.

Off he street hires were working while I was off for 2 weeks . He told me not to come for 2 weeks and come back on the 15th but I know for sure other trainees did work throughout that time . Off the street guys not insiders . I talked to him in his office and he said he didn't like my package selection method when he rode me and that the route I'm doing is to easy for me to make book on .

O

OLDMAN3

Off he street hires were working while I was off for 2 weeks . He told me not to come for 2 weeks and come back on the 15th but I know for sure other trainees did work throughout that time . Off the street guys not insiders . I talked to him in his office and he said he didn't like my package selection method when he rode me and that the route I'm doing is to easy for me to make book on .

You are making this far too complicated.
Your center manager doesn't want to keep you, package selection methods is his reason.
You may have exceeded the 30 day probationary period, or may exceed a "40 day" probationary period.
Your steward won't take this on.

YOUR ONLY HOPE IS YOUR BA. Contact him after you:
1 Read and re-read your supplement. Days worked during the free period count towards your 30 (or 40) in some parts of the country. Or they may not count until after January 15th.
2 Document all your hours
3 Document who worked instead of you (the exact days).

Good luck.
The only way I see a BA getting involved is if he is feuding with management over them not filling permanent positions.
And no, your center manager is not just going to say "Oh shoot, we worked you too many days, I guess you have the job."

Last edited by a moderator:

PT Car Washer

You are making this far too complicated.
Your center manager doesn't want to keep you, package selection methods is his reason.
You may have exceeded the 30 day probationary period, or may exceed a "40 day" probationary period.
Your steward won't take this on.

YOUR ONLY HOPE IS YOUR BA. Contact him after you:
1 Read and re-read your supplement. Days worked during the free period count towards your 30 (or 40) in some parts of the country. Or they may not count until after January 15th.
2 Document all your hours
3 Document who worked instead of you (the exact days).

Good luck.
The only way I see a BA getting involved is if he is feuding with management over them not filling permanent positions.
And no, your center manager is not just going to say "Oh shoot, we worked you too many days, I guess you have the job."
Sound like you have been down this road before. Exactly the way I read it. I have also seen where they will let a driver go past the free time and give him the FT job. The game was rigged every time.

O

OLDMAN3

Sound like you have been down this road before. Exactly the way I read it. I have also seen where they will let a driver go past the free time and give him the FT job. The game was rigged every time.
The worst game they rig is when a great bid route is "given" to a favored son who could never win it if it went up for bid. I enjoyed eventually bumping one of these guys permanently off a gravy route....he whined like a stuck pig. Cry me a river, poor kid had to actually do time as a utility driver... like the rest of us.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The worst game they rig is when a great bid route is "given" to a favored son who could never win it if it went up for bid. I enjoyed eventually bumping one of these guys permanently off a gravy route....he whined like a stuck pig. Cry me a river, poor kid had to actually do time as a utility driver... like the rest of us.
How are they even able to do this...only time they have given someone a route is when nobody wanted it so they stuck the least seniority driver on the list with it...

O

OLDMAN3

Hey PT Car Washer...

Always wondered if you were hired before the "new" contract in 1982...
If so, my bet is you pull down some serious money if you make OT after 5 hours.
They put an end to any and all double shifting/serious amounts of PT OT a long time ago around here.
Just curious.

O

OLDMAN3

How are they even able to do this...only time they have given someone a route is when nobody wanted it so they stuck the least seniority driver on the list with it...
Depends if you BA is in on the fixes...
They can be very creative.
One year 4 of the very best routes in our bldg were handed to "certain" people.

Are any of your routes "training" routes?
Were they always training routes?
After 1 driver is on a "training" route for 1 year, is the route then considered his?
When the best routes open up due to retirement, are they the ones that go to off the street or to part time bidding?
Are routes shuffled back and forth between nearby UPS facilities after a few years?
Are routes re-looped and some "eliminated" or new ones "created"?

You get the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Depends if you BA is in on the fixes...
They can be very creative.
One year 4 of the very best routes in our bldg were handed to "certain" people.
I have never heard of that happening and can guarantee it would never happen in my neck of the woods...I would think if someone grieved it that they would have to put the route up for bid...and as far as I'm concerned most every route...at least here sucks..even some of the county runs thanks to ups overloading everything

PT Car Washer

Hey PT Car Washer...

Always wondered if you were hired before the "new" contract in 1982...
If so, my bet is you pull down some serious money if you make OT after 5 hours.
They put an end to any and all double shifting/serious amounts of PT OT a long time ago around here.
Just curious.
1977 and I do alright. Most of my time is driving so I don't make OT until after 8.