didn't show up

So as the title states I didn't show up to the spot where I was "supposed" to be, now I never got a call the day of until around 2 to 230 one of the dispatchers called me and asked if I was with my driver. I then explained that no I was not and I was not aware I was going to be working that day. She then asked if I could meet him asap as I was apparently scheduled to meet him at 130. and I was not available to as it was already 230 and I had gone on with my day having thought I didn't have any work. Now it's a week later and I have not received a call from anyone. So my question is am I fired, was I put to the bottom of the list? Should I be expecting to work again and if so how soon? Thanks for your time

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
If you want to work call your building and let them know that. If your waiting on them to call it might not happen. It's chaos right now.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WUT? You were suppose to be there at 130, but you didnt know, and you went on with your day? Your name is not on any list, it is :censored2:canned. We run a time sensitive business.
The driver usually goes somewhat out of his way to pick you up and has prepared his day in such manner to use your help effectively.
You screwed him/her. See ya

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

WUT? You were suppose to be there at 130, but you didnt know, and you went on with your day? Your name is not on any list, it is :censored2:canned. We run a time sensitive business.
The driver usually goes somewhat out of his way to pick you up and has prepared his day in such manner to use your help effectively.

Did you must the part where he/she said "I was not aware I was going to be working that day"?

I do agree, however, that even though it was not his/her fault, they have taken his/her name off the list.

DOK

We have so many that don't show or just don't answer their phones when ups calls, it really screws the driver.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
It looks to me like the helper coordinator is the one who screwed the driver.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This is why I let them set up the meet for the first day and then I set it up from that point forward.

Unless the helper in question is a total zero.

images

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Yesterday I had a light dispatch and told the helper coordinator that I didn't need a helper. She insisted that I needed a helper. I told her again I was light and I didn't need a helper and she said it wasn't her call and I needed a helper. So I relented and told to set the meet time at 5:00.

I go through my day and by 2:30 if was clear I would only have five stops after pick ups. I call in and they put me in touch with the helper coordinator.

"This is Joeboodog, I will only have five stops left at 5:00. I don't need a helper."

"Okay, I call the helper and cancel the meet but I don't know if I can make the decision."

downloadfile-1.jpeg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yesterday I had a light dispatch and told the helper coordinator that I didn't need a helper. She insisted that I needed a helper. I told her again I was light and I didn't need a helper and she said it wasn't her call and I needed a helper. So I relented and told to set the meet time at 5:00.

I go through my day and by 2:30 if was clear I would only have five stops after pick ups. I call in and they put me in touch with the helper coordinator.

"This is Joeboodog, I will only have five stops left at 5:00. I don't need a helper."

"Okay, I call the helper and cancel the meet but I don't know if I can make the decision."

So rather than let the helper work with another driver they let him sit at home only to be told he wasn't needed? Yet they wonder why helpers quit.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
So as the title states I didn't show up to the spot where I was "supposed" to be, now I never got a call the day of until around 2 to 230 one of the dispatchers called me and asked if I was with my driver. I then explained that no I was not and I was not aware I was going to be working that day. She then asked if I could meet him asap as I was apparently scheduled to meet him at 130. and I was not available to as it was already 230 and I had gone on with my day having thought I didn't have any work. Now it's a week later and I have not received a call from anyone. So my question is am I fired, was I put to the bottom of the list? Should I be expecting to work again and if so how soon? Thanks for your time

Apparently, you are not going to be working at UPS this year.
It was a seasonal job anyways and you should put your efforts into finding more permanent employment.

oldngray

nowhere special
There probably isn't a quicker way to piss off a driver than have a helper not show up. The driver is dispatched with extra stops because of the supposed helper and he loses time going to meet a helper who doesn't show up so he gets double screwed. Helper no shows are far too common though. I would guess 1/3 of the time they show up late or don't show up at all.

joeboodog

So rather than let the helper work with another driver they let him sit at home only to be told he wasn't needed? Yet they wonder why helpers quit.
I kept telling them I didn't need a helper and to assign him to someone else. I guess my 30 years seniority, 27 years driving, and 20 years on my route means I don't know how I do my job.

joeboodog

There probably isn't a quicker way to piss off a driver than have a helper not show up. The driver is dispatched with extra stops because of the supposed helper and he loses time going to meet a helper who doesn't show up so he gets double screwed. Helper no shows are far too common though. I would guess 1/3 of the time they show up late or don't show up at all.
I will give the helper 10 minutes and then I roll. Got things to do.