didn't show up

Indecisi0n

You don't know this helper. He is an alphabet soup of mental issues. He's quick and works hard but he will drive you nuts. I would rather work alone.
LOL. I've had a few of those. Just do what I did last year. Give him a hand cart and 10 stops and tell him you'll be back in 6 hours.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yesterday I had a light dispatch and told the helper coordinator that I didn't need a helper. She insisted that I needed a helper. I told her again I was light and I didn't need a helper and she said it wasn't her call and I needed a helper. So I relented and told to set the meet time at 5:00.

I go through my day and by 2:30 if was clear I would only have five stops after pick ups. I call in and they put me in touch with the helper coordinator.

"This is Joeboodog, I will only have five stops left at 5:00. I don't need a helper."

"Okay, I call the helper and cancel the meet but I don't know if I can make the decision."

View attachment 20960

I think I would have surrendered to them and picked up the helper if for nothing else just someone to give a hard time to-- given him a tour of the town and dropped him back off. As long as you were going to get done early (we all know that can only lead to one thing during peak----more stops the next day) you may as well milked it out. When they jump you the next day about what took so long ---blame it on the helper----they make great scape goats.

watdaflock?

I didn't show up.... I was scheduled to meet him at 130...I never got a call until 230 I was not available to as it was already 230 and I had gone on with my day having thought I didn't have any work. Now it's a week later and I have not received a call from anyone.

I sure hope whatever you were doing was more important than committing to a job.

Might consider this place below.
do%20you%20want%20fries%20with%20that.jpg

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Did you must the part where he/she said "I was not aware I was going to be working that day"?

I do agree, however, that even though it was not his/her fault, they have taken his/her name off the list.
The OP says he didn't know he was working ....but did he make any effort to show up and meet the driver ASAP when asked? Guess he didn't want a job that badly...or wanted one that is more convenient. Oh well.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The OP says he didn't know he was working ....but did he make any effort to show up and meet the driver ASAP when asked? Guess he didn't want a job that badly...or wanted one that is more convenient. Oh well.
I wouldn't say that. They offered me last Friday off. I had tickets to a football game 4 hours away. I hopped in the car and took off. If they had called three hours later does that mean I didn't want the job?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I wouldn't say that. They offered me last Friday off. I had tickets to a football game 4 hours away. I hopped in the car and took off. If they had called three hours later does that mean I didn't want the job?
Then I would've explained that I was out of town...not sorry I'm not available because I went on with my
day. They know the helper position is essentially on call.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I kept telling them I didn't need a helper and to assign him to someone else. I guess my 30 years seniority, 27 years driving, and 20 years on my route means I don't know how I do my job.
REally. Ditto same talking points. I begrudgingly set a time of 445, then when I am at my first stop and see they took businesses off, Due to the fact that you cant get edd until you are leaving the building, had I known that I would have said 1pm, and been done at 5. As it was I had 30 left when I picked him up, barely an hour 20 min. And it wasnt who they first told me or second told me, it was someone who had never worked. Thankfully he had finals to study for, and was glad not to work long the first night. Thing is I have asked them for years, to do what they did today, and they never have, (remove some commercial) Incompetence on trial, we are ready.

Rainman

Its all good.
You may still get to work. They hire extras, but plenty quit after a few days. Call them and tell them you want to work. Plenty don't, and fewer will take the initiative to call in.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Did you must the part where he/she said "I was not aware I was going to be working that day"?

I do agree, however, that even though it was not his/her fault, they have taken his/her name off the list.
Was not written real clearly, I digress, I thought he knew he was suppose to be there, and just didnt show. My apologies if thats not the case.
I can see clearly now that the helper coordinators are not top of the line in scheduling.

Box

Handle with Care
Was last Friday your first day with the company? Are you employed in a seasonal position?

That's the difference here.

upssouth

I'm sick of helper coordinators. Why do we have them when they insist we do their job for them? I tell coordination meet pt and if they're no show I keep on rolling. Not my problem. Eta 2315.

"I'm out of ups minutes on my phone"

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I kept telling them I didn't need a helper and to assign him to someone else. I guess my 30 years seniority, 27 years driving, and 20 years on my route means I don't know how I do my job.
Corporate now dictates how many helpers have to work in each center each day. My center manager got his ass chewed last week because he didn't use enough helpers one day. Just take the helper and give them a tour of your route. Is it :bsbullf:? Yes, but it's the flavor of the week (or season) this year.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Corporate now dictates how many helpers have to work in each center each day. My center manager got his ass chewed last week because he didn't use enough helpers one day. Just take the helper and give them a tour of your route. Is it :bsbullf:? Yes, but it's the flavor of the week (or season) this year.
Yep. What's funny though is then you get told your helper team needs to be more productive. Lol

Last year it made sense for me to have a helper for about an hour. They insisted I take one. He got lots of windshield time.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
We don't have enough helpers, well duh, maybe its because 8.50 an hour corporate is enough for gas money to meet up with the driver.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We don't have enough helpers, well duh, maybe its because 8.50 an hour corporate is enough for gas money to meet up with the driver.
Ours get 15. My problem isnt the helper its the co ordination. My route is not dense enough for a helper productively. I had one 3 hrs, 2.75 late, 4 hrs 3.43 late. I told them both times it does not help. They insist, so its their company their dime.

upsbeernut

Ours get 15. My problem isnt the helper its the co ordination. My route is not dense enough for a helper productively. I had one 3 hrs, 2.75 late, 4 hrs 3.43 late. I told them both times it does not help. They insist, so its their company their dime.
There they go again jump over a dollar to save a dime.

upsbeernut

Yep. What's funny though is then you get told your helper team needs to be more productive. Lol

Last year it made sense for me to have a helper for about an hour. They insisted I take one. He got lots of windshield time.
Friday after thanksgiving , they want me to have one, no no no , I can handle it by myself, no pay actual thank you. 8 hours at least please.