Die Surepost

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Too many make the assumption that elimination of surepost would mean more jobs. I think it would mean more hours and a tighter time allowance.

10 point

It actually costs us money to send those packages through our system. It would be much cheaper to sort them and deliver them directly to a USPS processing center.
I hardly believe that the company or the union would agree on language that the company loses money on.

Our profitability may not be as great but both sides would be stupid to agree to losing on surepost deliveries by our drivers.
I remember that Jim Kelly said that Jim Hoffa, Jr was more of a businessman that Carey.

That does not compute seeing that the union has allowed at least one holiday to now be a regular work day for the sake of saving face and smoothing out the initial peak blast after Thanksgiving.

For me to spend an extra two minutes (max) walking to a house next to where I'm already delivering and leave a surpost pkg and that constitute a loss on that pkg is pure speculation without facts.

If we're losing money don't put it in the contract.

It's more of an issue of killing jobs. Remember the pas system and orion? You figure it out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never said we are losing money. I said we would save money by sending those packages directly to a USPS processing center rather than sending them through our system.

10 point

I never said we are losing money. I said we would save money by sending those packages directly to a USPS processing center rather than sending them through our system.
You said "it actually costs us money to send those packages through our system".

Is there any other definition of "costs us" that doesn't mean a loss of revenue?

That's the impression you left. Maybe we don't make as much fits better?

I don't have any of the data on surepost profitability but if it is a loss for the company neither side should have agreed to put it into the agreement.

Not to be rude but I see a lot of "I"s written in here.

The new program that was hurriedly implemented just prior to peak has been sending a tremendous amount of the duplicate, proximity, and commercial surepost pkgs to the post offices in our jurisdiction.

The new language in the surepost article says the company will "continue" to give us this work (showing that it has already been agreed upon) and expand it. We have seen the reversal of that action and the "120 days" was up over three months ago.

If this is not dealt with and ups continues this action against the written agreement it can and will diminish the bargaining unit and we will not see the expansion of jobs that could and should happen with increased volume.

Maybe the company has hired more drivers than we've ever seen this year...well, its about time. We had 9 vacation and option days denied in a week at times (out of a roster of 40 drivers) this summer.

If we only care about "me" and how much work "I" have maybe when we retire we will watch a generation of new workers that finally got a full time job vote our benefit deductible thru the roof with the same concern we had that they were screwed over because we let the company subcontract their opportunity for a full time job down the toilet.

Saving up on part time wage is not the same as saving up at almost $34.00/hr.

We were blown away in our center with all the proximity stops last year. So who is it that staffs the manning? The company knew what was coming, again, and instead of training drivers in October when they had the opportunity this year they relied on the almost hidden move of sending our negotiated work to the post office.

Here we go. It isn't about crying about having too much or not enough work. It's about purposely not staffing an operation early enough when given the opportunity and sending our work to the p.o.which, if not legally dealt with and allowed to continue, will have a negative effect on our bargaining unit numbers and that will be no one's fault but our own.
Christmas isn't about gifts. It's about family time. I remember one year as a youth getting a blanket. I still have the blanket.

The new program that was hurriedly implemented just prior to peak has been sending a tremendous amount of the duplicate, proximity, and commercial surepost pkgs to the post offices in our jurisdiction.

The new language in the surepost article says the company will "continue" to give us this work (showing that it has already been agreed upon) and expand it. We have seen the reversal of that action and the "120 days" was up over three months ago.

If this is not dealt with and ups continues this action against the written agreement it can and will diminish the bargaining unit and we will not see the expansion of jobs that could and should happen with increased volume.

Maybe the company has hired more drivers than we've ever seen this year...well, its about time. We had 9 vacation and option days denied in a week at times (out of a roster of 40 drivers) this summer.

If we only care about "me" and how much work "I" have maybe when we retire we will watch a generation of new workers that finally got a full time job vote our benefit deductible thru the roof with the same concern we had that they were screwed over because we let the company subcontract their opportunity for a full time job down the toilet.

We were blown away in our center with all the proximity stops last year. So who is it that staffs the manning? The company knew what was coming, again, and instead of training drivers in October when they had the opportunity this year they relied on the almost hidden move of sending our negotiated work to the post office.

Here we go. It isn't about crying about having too much or not enough work. It's about purposely not staffing an operation early enough when given the opportunity and sending our work to the p.o.which, if not legally dealt with and allowed to continue, will have a negative effect on our bargaining unit numbers and that will be no one's fault but our own.
Also in my time as a part timer I was a meat cutter garbage man teamster (central transport) dock worker (before that freak broke the union) and I land scaped. These were sometimes 100 plus hour weeks. I came from less than nothing but bought a house at twenty. I never as a part timer expected to make it all at ups. That was for a later time. I also watched everything very closely as a part timer. I went full time in five years by filing a grievance on a past practice for going full time. Not just I got the job but I solisited grievances from 7 others who also got their jobs. See I could have always been a wo is me but I just couldn't. I thank Jesus for the chip that I will forever try and rid from my shoulder. The furnace is still hot.

10 point

Christmas isn't about gifts. It's about family time. I remember one year as a youth getting a blanket. I still have the blanket.
I was talking about and responding to the subject of subcontracting not thankfulness.

I'll be even more thankful when the company quits illegally giving our negotiated work to our competitor.

, post: 1474915, member: 52022"]Also in my time as a part timer I was a meat cutter garbage man teamster (central transport) dock worker (before that freak broke the union) and I land scaped. These were sometimes 100 plus hour weeks. I came from less than nothing but bought a house at twenty. I never as a part timer expected to make it all at ups. That was for a later time. I also watched everything very closely as a part timer. I went full time in five years by filing a grievance on a past practice for going full time. Not just I got the job but I solisited grievances from 7 others who also got their jobs. See I could have always been a wo is me but I just couldn't. I thank Jesus for the chip that I will forever try and rid from my shoulder. The furnace is still hot.[/quote]

Agree.
But ft ups drivers shouldn't have to look for supplemental work because of illegal subcontracting and this has got to stop.

We can talk faith and file grievances.

Last edited:
image.jpg
I was talking about and responding to the subject of subcontracting not thankfulness.

I'll be even more thankful when the company quits illegally giving our negotiated work to our competitor.

, post: 1474915, member: 52022"]Also in my time as a part timer I was a meat cutter garbage man teamster (central transport) dock worker (before that freak broke the union) and I land scaped. These were sometimes 100 plus hour weeks. I came from less than nothing but bought a house at twenty. I never as a part timer expected to make it all at ups. That was for a later time. I also watched everything very closely as a part timer. I went full time in five years by filing a grievance on a past practice for going full time. Not just I got the job but I solisited grievances from 7 others who also got their jobs. See I could have always been a wo is me but I just couldn't. I thank Jesus for the chip that I will forever try and rid from my shoulder. The furnace is still hot.

Agree.
But ft ups drivers shouldn't have to look for supplemental work because of illegal subcontracting and this has got to stop.

We can talk faith and file grievances.[/quote]
This is what my reply was based on. I'm to death ridden with the flu to delete the rest of the post.

image.jpg
image.jpg

, post: 1474915, member: 52022"]Also in my time as a part timer I was a meat cutter garbage man teamster (central transport) dock worker (before that freak broke the union) and I land scaped. These were sometimes 100 plus hour weeks. I came from less than nothing but bought a house at twenty. I never as a part timer expected to make it all at ups. That was for a later time. I also watched everything very closely as a part timer. I went full time in five years by filing a grievance on a past practice for going full time. Not just I got the job but I solisited grievances from 7 others who also got their jobs. See I could have always been a wo is me but I just couldn't. I thank Jesus for the chip that I will forever try and rid from my shoulder. The furnace is still hot.

Agree.

We can talk faith and file grievances.[/quote]
How'd this workout?

snl blue

Finally someone gets it thank you!

Imchar1

The fact of the matter is that these are UPS packages to be processed and delivered by UPS employees. I am happy for you guys that are catching a break this year not working 60 hours a week during peak. But using some of the thought processes I am seeing, lets say this....

I make too much money please import 1000s of illegal aliens so I can work less and give them less money to do the same work.

My rival business competition is a failing model. I will prop them up by giving them a significant percentage of my business at a lower rate.

How about this. UPS decides it no longer wishes to grow it only wants to maintain its size at the most efficient and cost effective. Therefore UPS plans to handle just enough volume to give all employees the minimum amount of work and they give all excess to FEDEX USPS etc. The only promotion or opportunity to advance is death termination or retirement.

Growth leads to more jobs and higher wages and benefits. Growth also secures pensions and benefits. Some of you seem to be saying

"I'm ok with UPS using non union cheaper labor to do jobs my union brothers and sisters could and should be doing because I want to work less."

Its one thing to outsource because you don't have the labor to meet demand. Its quite another thing to do it in order to do get the same work done for less money when you have plenty of your own people willing to do the work and are instead on the bench watching others do the work you used to do.

WE GET THE WORK BECAUSE WE DO IT BETTER THAN ANYBODY ELSE. THE PROOF IS IN THE MARKET SHARE. PACKAGES WITH UPS LABELS SHOULD ONLY BE DELIVERED BY UPS EMPLOYEES. ALLOWING INFERIOR CARRIERS TO HANDLE OUR STUFF DAMAGES OUR BRAND.

Americans have rights and should not be so quick to give them away.

THE WORK WE ARE ALLOWING TO BE SENT ELSEWHERE FOR LESS MONEY IS OURS AND WE SHOULDN'T BE SO QUICK TO GIVE IT AWAY. ONE DAY IT MAY BE YOUR EXTRA WORK THEY SEND AWAY FOR CHEAP.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
For anyone to actually think it would be implemented right before peak is delusional. There are grievances on this and it's part of the process. Try for next peak.
So, the language was written prior to August of 2013.
Imposed in April of 2014 and we're supposed to wait patiently until Peak of 2015?
Seems like this language was not bargained for in good faith by either side.
Instead it appears to have been a "fluffy" bit of language to placate the few members who were still paying attention.
It will be interesting how long this issue will be lost in the "process".

So, the language was written prior to August of 2013.
Imposed in April of 2014 and we're supposed to wait patiently until Peak of 2015?
Seems like this language was not bargained for in good faith by either side.
Instead it appears to have been a "fluffy" bit of language to placate the few members who were still paying attention.
It will be interesting how long this issue will be lost in the "process".
Yea that and your big ass vocabulary is getting you far.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
then maybe the usps should just take these accounts and have their sales guys win the business and cut out ups or FedEx all together...