Difficult Customers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I opened a door the other day(raining, no covered porch), and set the package inside of the house. The woman sitting on her couch said hi, thanks.

I carried 3 QVC packages inside for a customer who I also know outside of work. It was also raining and she also said thanks.

Be nice.....I go above and beyond.

Be a dick.....you get the bare minimum.

Fragile

I put things inside old peoples' hallways and apartments often.

They're old, period. Common courtesy, forget about UPS and the packages for a little bit.

What am I going to do? DR a 50 pound box of meals-on-wheels in front of their door so they can't get out of their house because the box is too heavy for the door to open?

I searched but could not find any threads on this subject....

Do any of you have that one customer who simply drives you crazy? I have this residential customer who is quickly becoming a serious PITA. He is a retired postal worker so I don't know if he has a grudge against us or not but his delivery "requirements" far exceed what we are required to provide. His home is a perfect front door driver release yet he insists that we deliver everything to his back door, which is actually located on a side street. No problem---I drive down that street, turn around in the first driveway on the right, pull up to his house, DR BD. Normally he is not home (thank goodness) but last time he was there and he told me that I am to open his back door and put everything inside of his house. I told him that I do not feel comfortable going in to his home and that all deliveries would be made per his request to his rear door and that they would be bagged in case of inclement weather. I had an S&V ride on Tuesday and discussed this stop with my on-car, who agreed that we should not be going in to customers' homes. Anyway, I received an ODS yesterday reminding me that all deliveries to this house are to be made to the rear door. I am to the point where I am seriously considering putting this guy on will call.

My question to you: Should I give in to the customers "requests" and open the rear door to his home and place the packages inside his home or should I stick to my guns and continue to place the packages out of sight and weather at his rear door per his request?
Leave it at the back door in a bag with a door mat on it or a garbage can in front of it. Don't give in.

rod

Retired 22 years
There was an instance where the sheriff pulled over a UPS driver and said he had some explaining to do. It seems a little kid was watching tv and his mother was taking a shower. Anyway the little kid went screaming to his mother that a man had opened the front door and hollered "You Penis"! . Mom panics, calls the sheriff, sheriff determines it was the UPS man at the door and took out after him. Driver had to explain that he had hollered "UPS" not "you penis".

rorojo

I would leave it all at the front door anyway. Lol

I'm going round and round with a dock delivery who tells me he has to seperate and inventory everything before he will sign for deliveries. Last time I put it all back on the truck
And sheeted NR1. Next time it's refused.

I simply do not have time for
Idiots slowing me down.

I have an assisted living complex that tries to pull that with me. The receptionist tries to get me to read all the names and take them to different areas of the complex. She drives me crazy. I have to tell her every day that each address get one delivery point.

Last edited:

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Oh my goodness Dave- you are unaware of how to go into the other screen for the extra delivery options?
Dave is freaking out right now because he didn't know he could release inside rear door. Priceless.

you all do realize that your DMS can change these options at will right? What have is different from what you have which is different from what Dave has

Sent using BrownCafe App

ReLooped

I'm utility...AGAIN!?
when I was being trained I was told i couldn't cross the threshhold of the customer's front door. i was told it was considered a liability issue. so that's been my response when asked. *shrug*

oldngray

nowhere special
when I was being trained I was told i couldn't cross the threshhold of the customer's front door. i was told it was considered a liability issue. so that's been my response when asked. *shrug*

Once you cross the threshhold even if it is just reaching inside to leave package you have technically entered the house. Its OK with most customers but there are always the bad ones you don't want to take any chances with.

AKCoverMan

I did not know that different centers used different DR location screens. I am not aware of "Inside Front Door" etc. if I use FD that means at the Front Door, not inside the front door.

I will use Porch which puts location as POR if I am leaving it inside an inclosed porch area. We have a lot of these up north, "arctic entry" an unlocked enclosed unheated (but insulated and warmer than outdoors) area before the actual front door where the doorbell is.

On the second screen of DR locations we have Patio, Shed (several Snap-On dealers have us DR to their shed), and Carport.

I will go into someone's house if requested when I feel it's appropriate, i.e. elderly cnee and heavy package but only far enough to get it in to where they can close the door and still get by it. I always tell these people that I'm actually bending the rules to do this so they are not surprised if another driver does not feel comfortable doing the same thing. As Fragile said it doesn't make sense to deliver a heavy package to someone and put it where they can't physically get at it or move it.

OTOH I agree totally with Upstate if customer is such a butt that it ticks me off then I am going to give you minimum service. Outside UPS I am an umpire so it takes a lot to actually tick me off. But I don't recommend doing it lol.

As far as customer trying to accuse me of theft after I stepped in their house they could do that just because I was on their property. Someone needs much more evidence than my mere presence to go after me for theft, evidence that does not exist. So I really am not worried about that.

oldngray

nowhere special
I did not know that different centers used different DR location screens. I am not aware of "Inside Front Door" etc. if I use FD that means at the Front Door, not inside the front door.

I will use Porch which puts location as POR if I am leaving it inside an inclosed porch area. We have a lot of these up north, "arctic entry" an unlocked enclosed unheated (but insulated and warmer than outdoors) area before the actual front door where the doorbell is.

On the second screen of DR locations we have Patio, Shed (several Snap-On dealers have us DR to their shed), and Carport.

I will go into someone's house if requested when I feel it's appropriate, i.e. elderly cnee and heavy package but only far enough to get it in to where they can close the door and still get by it. I always tell these people that I'm actually bending the rules to do this so they are not surprised if another driver does not feel comfortable doing the same thing. As Fragile said it doesn't make sense to deliver a heavy package to someone and put it where they can't physically get at it or move it.

OTOH I agree totally with Upstate if customer is such a butt that it ticks me off then I am going to give you minimum service. Outside UPS I am an umpire so it takes a lot to actually tick me off. But I don't recommend doing it lol.

As far as customer trying to accuse me of theft after I stepped in their house they could do that just because I was on their property. Someone needs much more evidence than my mere presence to go after me for theft, evidence that does not exist. So I really am not worried about that.

Frequently FD means you put package inside storm door but since there is another door you won't have entered the house. Covered porches like you mentioned are one of the best possible DR locations.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I searched but could not find any threads on this subject....

Do any of you have that one customer who simply drives you crazy? I have this residential customer who is quickly becoming a serious PITA. He is a retired postal worker so I don't know if he has a grudge against us or not but his delivery "requirements" far exceed what we are required to provide. His home is a perfect front door driver release yet he insists that we deliver everything to his back door, which is actually located on a side street. No problem---I drive down that street, turn around in the first driveway on the right, pull up to his house, DR BD. Normally he is not home (thank goodness) but last time he was there and he told me that I am to open his back door and put everything inside of his house. I told him that I do not feel comfortable going in to his home and that all deliveries would be made per his request to his rear door and that they would be bagged in case of inclement weather. I had an S&V ride on Tuesday and discussed this stop with my on-car, who agreed that we should not be going in to customers' homes. Anyway, I received an ODS yesterday reminding me that all deliveries to this house are to be made to the rear door. I am to the point where I am seriously considering putting this guy on will call.

My question to you: Should I give in to the customers "requests" and open the rear door to his home and place the packages inside his home or should I stick to my guns and continue to place the packages out of sight and weather at his rear door per his request?
You're going to do what you want regardless as to what others tell you as you've so eloquently said before. That being said, I wouldn't put myself in a situation where my integrity can be questioned, DR rear door in a bag.

The End

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I carried 3 QVC packages inside for a customer who I also know outside of work. It was also raining and she also said thanks.

Well, I guess I won't offer my opinion on this as we already know how I feel on this subject...
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/dont-be-dumb.357221/page-2

I do agree on that though! I used to tell my rookies that approach determines response.

brostalss

Never cross the threshold. I'll take one step to place a package inside for the elderly or a pregnant woman but that's it. I say for safety purposes I do not cross the threshold.

Back in the days of Bowflex (9 boxes) a customer asked me to take them to am upstairs bedroom. I responded with your front porch or your garage.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Upstate, this winter you can bury his packages in the snow and tag his door with instructions to guess where his packages are. I'm sure he'll appreciate your sense of humor.