Dirty Shop Steward

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So it's my fault the site is not working right with apple software

Geez ... don't take things so seriously.
"rocketman" is a common reference when a post is all jumbled up together.
We don't care what caused the problem ... we just want to harass and kid around.

You a male or a female?

gorilla75jdw

SIMPLE , do your own work . Become a steward (appointed) , keep to yourself , handle your own business and the business of coworkers that you trust which is none . Sorry to say , but the loyalty of society in todays Union workforce is very shallow even if you think you know that person . Its all about the money , me,me,me, what have you done for me lately,me,me,me, thats not right , Im right ,thats wrong .

jaker

trolling
Geez ... don't take things so seriously."rocketman" is a common reference when a post is all jumbled up together.We don't care what caused the problem ... we just want to harass and kid around.You a male or a female?
I didnt take it seriously , but it's kinda hard to tell when on the Internet and I am anti smiley con

I didn't care that it happen till you decided to point it out , but I guess it work out because now the issue is happing more

I am male surprise you couldn't tell by some of the comments I make ( I smiley would be here to help the sentence )

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didnt take it seriously , but it's kinda hard to tell when on the Internet and I am anti smiley con I didn't care that it happen till you decided to point it out , but I guess it work out because now the issue is happing more And I am male surprise you couldn't tell by some of the comments I make ( I smiley would be here to help the sentence )

This post didn't help your cause. Is your phone doing this to you?

UPS Lifer

S.P.O.H.R;1006895[B said:
]I have multiple Lawsuits against UPS[/B] stemming from continuous harassment, discriminaton, and other issues and I have a shop steward who plays both sides. He is on the safety committee and gives management confidential info on me pertaining to my lawsuit as well as info on grievances that I plan on submitting before I do. This dual task is obviously a conflict because he gives management info on me in exchange for 1 1/2 hours of safety time each day. Recently I found out about his actions and complained to the Union president, but havent received a response. This shop steward continuously tries to persuade me not to file grievances on management and and has been doing so for 4 years now. I have stopped using him as a shop steward for over a year now and have noticed quite a difference in my meetings with managers. They are completely caught off guard now whereas before they seemed prepared for me. Can someone please advise me on how to handle this individual (rat).

This thread caught my eye because of the title. I realize that this is the perfect management bashing thread and I should just stay out of it.

BUT....

The first sentence raises HUGE red flags! Multiple lawsuits???? You have to be kidding me!! How can all of you just believe that any of this is not skewed in one direction. I question the credibility right from the start. I realize that most of you think that management is out to get you so you believe what you read but this is ridiculous. Part of my job was to investigate serious service failure incidents and I had to interview people who could possibly lose their job. Getting to the truth was a real art. There is three stories to every issue. Your Story - Their Story and then there is the truth.

S.P.O.R.H. - Why are you working at a company you hate so much? Do you really enjoy battling with management every hour of every day of every week for 4 years? That to me fills the definition of insanity extremely well.

OK! You can all take turns bashing my post now!!!:its_all_good:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Emulate the drivers that live on their knees? Id rather die on my feet! I had building manager removed after he continuously harassed and threatened me. They all cut corners, so I just sat back and waited until he falsified my employee records and altered my time card. They all do this you just have to pay close attention.
so,,,, you dont trust your steward, you had your center manager removed, and you have multiple lawsuits against ups,,,ever think your the problem

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If in fact your Steward is giving your private information to the company, you should be going to the President of the Local. If you have proof of this(which I doubt) and the Local President does nothing you could take it to the International, and then the NLRB. You better have your ducks in a row though.

It has been my experience as a Union officer that most times the Steward is following the contract and trying to advise the member based on that. Most times the members don't like the outcome based upon contract language and complain that the Stewards are not doing their job. People need to understand that the only thing we have to work with is the contract. If there is no violation, ther is nothing we can do about it. People often claim the Stewards are in with management because they see us talking to them alot. You have to realize that we must have a give and take relationship with management in order to settle grievances. Most times you get the best resuls when they can be settled on the shop floor by the parties that are most involved and have the best knowledge of the situation. This relationship is important to the sucess as a Steward but most hourlies misinterpret it as playing both sides.

Trust me folks. Being a shop Steward is a very stressful and THANKLESS position!!

UPS Lifer

If in fact your Steward is giving your private information to the company, you should be going to the President of the Local. If you have proof of this(which I doubt) and the Local President does nothing you could take it to the International, and then the NLRB. You better have your ducks in a row though.

It has been my experience as a Union officer that most times the Steward is following the contract and trying to advise the member based on that. Most times the members don't like the outcome based upon contract language and complain that the Stewards are not doing their job. People need to understand that the only thing we have to work with is the contract. If there is no violation, ther is nothing we can do about it. People often claim the Stewards are in with management because they see us talking to them alot. You have to realize that we must have a give and take relationship with management in order to settle grievances. Most times you get the best resuls when they can be settled on the shop floor by the parties that are most involved and have the best knowledge of the situation. This relationship is important to the sucess as a Steward but most hourlies misinterpret it as playing both sides.

Trust me folks. Being a shop Steward is a very stressful and THANKLESS position!!

EXTREMELY well said! It is a thankless job and I have a lot of respect for well intentioned shop stewards.

The contract is a wonderful thing. It is the us vs. them mentality that gets both sides into trouble. It is a supervisor or manager who think they can outsmart an "hourly" (this is a 4 letter word to me) and manipulate the contract. Also, it does go both ways.

I had 36 supervisors working for me at one point. I had NO shop steward when I took over my operation. I had to borrow shop stewards. I went on a campaign to get 3 shop stewards so we could develop a respectful relationship. I actually had the stewards help me to do my job. I can't be everywhere and I enlisted stewards to help make sure my supervisors did not violate the contract. I would not accept a grievance if an employee did not give me the opportunity to fix a problem.

I met with the stewards once or twice a week and at any request.

The buck stops with the manager.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
If the OP truly has a Steward that is not acting appropriately, he/she should read the Bylaws of the Local for within there will be the process for filing charges against & seeking the removal of the Steward (both from the position & the Union). More often than not the case is as grgrcr88 described.