Disability Pay Sucks

yonnko

Got hurt out of work. Disability Pay Sucks. Classic case of the middle class getting screwed. Pay in to the system for 25 years and get screwed when you need it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Got hurt out of work. Disability Pay Sucks. Classic case of the middle class getting screwed. Pay in to the system for 25 years and get screwed when you need it.

Sorry to hear you are hurt ... hope you get better soon.

Most financial support systems are set up to provide only a portion of the income they are to replace. It is always good to have 2-6 months income in savings to help get over the hump. I carried long-term disability up until 4 years ago (you don't need it once you get to retirement age).
I know this doesn't help you but maybe others will read and heed if they have not thought about it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A full time driver gets $90 a day in Georgia, which is one of the worst states for disability claims. If they paid employees their full pay, there wouldn't be any incentive for some people to return to work. Its always a good idea to have some extra money on the side for emergencies like this. This is especially hard to do if you are young and have a family to support. Believe me, I have been there more than once.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sorry to hear you are hurt ... hope you get better soon.

Most financial support systems are set up to provide only a portion of the income they are to replace. It is always good to have 2-6 months income in savings to help get over the hump. I carried long-term disability up until 4 years ago (you don't need it once you get to retirement age).
I know this doesn't help you but maybe others will read and heed if they have not thought about it.

You are 100% right Hoax. disability is there to assist, not to entirely support. I have been on disability for 4 months of the past 6 and still am out (hence the free time to post here). The money is helpful in assisting in the mortgage and utils among other necesseties.

yonnko

I do take advice from Suze Orman. I have no financial worries. It is a matter of principal for me. One pays alot in to the system over years and takes a big hit when an accident happens. As far as an incentive to get back to work. Turn on the Television. The junk on TV will drive anybody back to work. Except for the low lifes that continue to drain the system and bleed the hard working people dry.

barnyard

KTM rider
Supplemental health insurance (Aflac/Combined) is designed for such a situation. The income from this and from disability would put you close to full pay.

Here in the midwest, Aflac will not write a disability policy for a UPSer. I decided to quit racing after looking around and being unable to buy disability insurance.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Here, if you are on disability and UPS can't find light duty work for you, are may also be eligible to receive unemployment. just saying.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Here in the midwest, Aflac will not write a disability policy for a UPSer. I decided to quit racing after looking around and being unable to buy disability insurance.
very,, very,, maybe nobody?? now will cover a full time ups driver,,, gets you thinking about how unhealthy this repetitive job really is

Can you get back paid for unemployment? :greedy: UPS has offered zero light duty in 4 months I"ve been out.

No but you can go to your doctor and ask what your restrictions are and if he or she will clear you to do some kind of light duty. If your doctor clears this you take it to your manager and ask for light duty. He or she will say no and laugh maybe. You say ok and file your unemployment and explain that you are cleared to work light duty and ups dosent have work for you so in unemployments eyes you a laid off for lack of work.

They also don't care about your union disability payments it has nothing to do with unemployment just declare it on the website and be totally honest when you talk to them. This is a benefit that you are entitled to. If you had a desk job you would still be working in most cases your only fault is that you have a job that isn't at a desk and requires lifting.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
No but you can go to your doctor and ask what your restrictions are and if he or she will clear you to do some kind of light duty. If your doctor clears this you take it to your manager and ask for light duty. He or she will say no and laugh maybe. You say ok and file your unemployment and explain that you are cleared to work light duty and ups dosent have work for you so in unemployments eyes you a laid off for lack of work.

They also don't care about your union disability payments it has nothing to do with unemployment just declare it on the website and be totally honest when you talk to them. This is a benefit that you are entitled to. If you had a desk job you would still be working in most cases your only fault is that you have a job that isn't at a desk and requires lifting.

So in theory this sounds like an answered prayer. But could you really get unemployment ifyou are released to light duty and ups refuses to work you? I've been out after having a heart attack and doctor and i feel i should be able to return to light duty soon.

Then what just show up to work in my browns, get laughed at then drive to unemployment office? Am i way off on this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would talk to my supervisor, update him on my status, advise him that I am cleared for and willing to perform light duty, if available. If not, I would then do as steward suggested.

I admit that I did not know that this option was available.

Is that true that FT drivers cannot get a LT disability insurance policy? I always thought of one when I was younger but never followed through with it. I advise a lot of the new guys to get one -- especially with the way we are worked now. Has anyone managed to get one out of a carrier or is everyone rejected? I didn't think they rejected anyone, your premium would just be high.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is that true that FT drivers cannot get a LT disability insurance policy? I always thought of one when I was younger but never followed through with it. I advise a lot of the new guys to get one -- especially with the way we are worked now. Has anyone managed to get one out of a carrier or is everyone rejected? I didn't think they rejected anyone, your premium would just be high.

LT disability benefits are provided through AETNA with a maximum monthly benefit of $2,600 for up to 60 months. ST disability benefits may be available through your union. These payments are reduced if you receive unemployment or other compensation. Supplemental health insurance benefits are in addition to any disability benefits.