Disability

can someone go over how disability works. I know I can go to HR about it but I'm a bit embarrassed about it.

Few months ago my father passed away and I'm still not over it. I had 2 works off for funeral reasons and etc but I still didn't feel mentally ready to go back but I had too to get my paychecks. I have a lot of mood swings at work and feel angry/down a lot. I heard I could get disability for depression or stress. My only worry though is how would it effect my pay as I need the income to help my mom more than ever.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
can someone go over how disability works. I know I can go to HR about it but I'm a bit embarrassed about it.

Few months ago my father passed away and I'm still not over it. I had 2 works off for funeral reasons and etc but I still didn't feel mentally ready to go back but I had too to get my paychecks. I have a lot of mood swings at work and feel angry/down a lot. I heard I could get disability for depression or stress. My only worry though is how would it effect my pay as I need the income to help my mom more than ever.

You will need to be under a doctors care, for it to be approved for disabilty.

Just be aware of how much money you will receive. Ask first.

Sorry for your loss; however, that being said, it is time for you to put your big boy pants on and take care of business.
Can't tell you your business, but work for me was an escape. It helped.
Yea as hard as it might sound work might be the best medicine. I wouldn't want to be home thinking about it all day.

People process things differently.

The OP's situation is more common, than you might think.

-Bug-

UPSGUY72

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can work through your issues and move on with your life. As others have said sitting home and thinking about the "what if's" isn't good keeping your routine the same is. Remember drinking and taking recreational drugs aren't the answer they will make the problem worse.

That being said have you talked to some (your primary DR, or a therapist) ? You can go to your primary Dr and they will give you something to take the edge off or you can go see a therapist and just talk about what bothering you both without being concerned about them tell someone. It seems like you need to get something of your chest the sooner you do it the better.

Good Luck

Keep your head up things will get better.

Bren_dan

We had a clerk who's boyfriend died, and they brought her back to work too soon. I called into work for a start time one day, and she answered the phone sobbing and I had to call back because even if she did say my start time, it was completely inaudible through the crying. She wasn't there when I got to work that day and she ended up getting an extended leave for like 3 months, not sure what the terms were. But in order for management to act, she had to come into work and prove she couldn't do her job yet.

Sorry for your loss.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My dad died on a Sunday when I was 19. I went to work on preload Monday morning. Never even said a word to my boss. But by the end of the shift he approached me and asked why I was there? I didn't understand his question. It turns out my brother called in to let my boss know what happened. My boss told me not to show up the rest of the week. I would have rather been at work though, but my mom certainly needed my help. Other than that, work was my escape.

UPSGUY72

When I work in a paper mill my boss came up to me and said you need to go home I said why he said he didn't know but something was wrong with my father. That was the longest 20 min ride of my life. I took a 2 or 3 day off and went back to work which was the best thing for me.

However to this day when I visit the cemetery I fall apart the last time was with my 7 and 9 year old son and daughter that he never got to meet. My 7 year was comforting me when I started to cry tell me daddy it's going to be ok.... Let's just say I don't go to the cemetery to often.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My dad died on a Sunday when I was 19. I went to work on preload Monday morning. Never even said a word to my boss. But by the end of the shift he approached me and asked why I was there? I didn't understand his question. It turns out my brother called in to let my boss know what happened. My boss told me not to show up the rest of the week. I would have rather been at work though, but my mom certainly needed my help. Other than that, work was my escape.

Very sorry for your loss.

My son had one of his best friends commit suicide after having gone to the Junior Prom. My son was devastated. My ex and I allowed him to take his time to process what he had gone through but after nearly two weeks of "processing" we decided that he needed to get back in to his routine. I called him and told him I would be there at 11:45 am to bring him to his 12:00 shift at Mickey D's. He was upset, pleading that he was not ready to go back to work, but when I picked him up after his shift he thanked me as he said it was time to get back in to his routine.

There is no checklist to follow as each of us grieve differently but it is crucial that none of us grieve alone.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I doubt you would be able to get disability for it.

You would be wrong.

But I'd be willing to bet you qualify for FMLA.

You shouldn't make uninformed statements.

We have EAP.
Employee Assistance Program.
Bereavement is covered.

Go to UPSERS.com and search EAP.
Send @Lead Belly a message, he is compassionate and knowledgeable.
Tell him AJ referred you to him.

What do the kids say ?

"Oh snap"

FrigidPTSup;

Stop trying to help.... with worthless advice.

-Bug-

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You would be wrong.

You shouldn't make uninformed statements.

What do the kids say ?

"Oh snap"

FrigidPTSup;

Stop trying to help.... with worthless advice.

-Bug-
Good luck trying to get approved for disability because you're sad. It does meet the conditions of FMLA so stop with the "Gotcha" nonsense you like to spread.

Thanks everyone for the replies and the support. Been trying to just focus on work but it's pretty tough. I feel burnt out. Covering 2 areas dealing with my full time supe, then going home supporting my mom. I barely sleep. One of my co-workers actually talked to me today about it. Convinced me to call the insurance I get and see if I can get some help. Let's see what happens.

Man Of Brown

AJ is right. Look up EAP. It's free. I think you get like 3 visits. That will be enough to either feel better or to know you need further help. Disability usually has a waiting period before it kicks in and then its like 60% of your pay. Better than nothing but can be hard to pay bills. I wish you the best.

Ouch

Sorry for your loss; however, that being said, it is time for you to put your big boy pants on and take care of business.
Dude you have got to be the most inconsiderate person I've ever had the displeasure of posting with. The dudes father just passed and he is obviously distraught over it. It wasn't a pet or a friend he went to school with, but his father. Cut him some slack.

Ouch

Thanks everyone for the replies and the support. Been trying to just focus on work but it's pretty tough. I feel burnt out. Covering 2 areas dealing with my full time supe, then going home supporting my mom. I barely sleep. One of my co-workers actually talked to me today about it. Convinced me to call the insurance I get and see if I can get some help. Let's see what happens.
I'm fortunate enough to have my parents so I'm not telling you this from past experience, and I'm no expert in grieving. As a Christian I believe their is a home in Heaven for the ones that believe Jesus is our savior. I don't know that it helps to tell people your love one is in a much better place. You can take comfort in knowing that as a believer you will be reunited with your father one day when your time on earth is done. I would absolutely go to HR and request some info on disability. I would also look into counseling to help you grieve and get thru this difficult time. Depression is a horrible thing that you don't and shouldn't have to deal with alone. Take advantage of any program or benefit ups offers. Think about what your dad would tell you. Remember the good times, and cherish the memories of you and your dad. Think about your dad telling you what a fine man you are for taking care of your mom. Sometimes you have to let it out and don't be ashamed to let it out. Don't hold it in and let it bother you. Your father is being taken care of by someone now that loves him more than you did. Best of luck to you and your mom.