discharge (while in the hospital)

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sorry, call me old school, but if I was going back to the hospital for a medical situation for which I had already been out of work for an extended period of time, I or a member of my family would make sure to talk to a live person at work to let them know what is going on.

The OP will most likely get his job back with a lesson learned.
UpstateNYUPSer,

I would have handled it more like you also, but I think a phone message should be enough.

Sincerely,
I

I agree. If the center has a voice mail that is dedicated to "call-ins" as the OP has suggested, then he did the appropriate thing.

I agree and disagree. If it were just calling off for the day then the voicemail would be good enough IMO. But, in this instance of extended absence I would have called and gotten a live person at one point or another to CMA by making SURE they got said voicemail. Yes, I know we shouldn't have to babysit mgmt, but the trouble on my part for a follow up call is much less than what the OP will have to go through.

over9five

Staff member
I agree and disagree. If it were just calling off for the day then the voicemail would be good enough IMO. But, in this instance of extended absence I would have called and gotten a live person at one point or another to CMA by making SURE they got said voicemail. Yes, I know we shouldn't have to babysit mgmt, but the trouble on my part for a follow up call is much less than what the OP will have to go through.
Ditto, I would have called later with more details.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think the OP probably did enough to save his job, but I'll say that I personally would not be comfortable just doing what he did. I've been out for an extended period a couple times and I always made sure to talk directly with one of my supervisors on the phone.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
What I find amazing is that no where in his statement that management ever tried to contact him besides a certified letter stating he's terminated. Not a "when do you think you'll be back" call or "hope everything is going ok" just to let him know they got the message. Not that they are obligated to do so, but again if the tables were turned some of you would put blinders on. I personally would call the center until I got an OMS or someone with a pulse to verify I wouldn't be there.

BleedBrown33

my center has a call-in voice mail for every dept. this considered normal practice where im at and there big thing is "no texts" texts are unacceptable.

U

uber

It'll go to panel. Bring verification that you were actually in the hospital. You'll have your job back.

menotyou

bella amicizia
What I find amazing is that no where in his statement that management ever tried to contact him besides a certified letter stating he's terminated. Not a "when do you think you'll be back" call or "hope everything is going ok" just to let him know they got the message. Not that they are obligated to do so, but again if the tables were turned some of you would put blinders on. I personally would call the center until I got an OMS or someone with a pulse to verify I wouldn't be there.
My center would have called and called wondering where the he;; you are. Of course, I would have called several times to make sure they were up to speed. Hospitals do still have phones next to the bed.

kingOFchester

I would of made more of an effort. However, you called, you left a message. Someone at UPS failed.

As important a career at UPS is for a part timer, the prospect of loosing your life do to an infection brought on by a impacted wisdom tooth would certainly cause one to put their priority on survival and putting effort into making sure other area's of their life are lined up in case of the unlikely event of death. People do die from infection stemming from a wisdom tooth. I am sure the OP made the call and felt as though a multi billion dollar company like UPS is capable of retrieving and relaying a VM message to the appropriate department.

After call was made, I am sure the OP was more concerned on fighting the ailment and making sure other ducks are in a row.

BCFan

REALLY you dont understand the English language my my the government schools must be terrible in upstate....BC

BleedBrown33

called the head of pt's at union hall faxed in med doc's had to get checked out by work comp dr and back at work next day and had to file a grievance that was handled without me even being there