"Discharged" back in February, still working.

undies

I can answer this question with absolutely the most amount of experience. I don't remember exact time stamps but a few years back I was getting really bad infections on my face from shaving everyday, I got a staph infection on my neck and had to spend the night in the ER because the infection was close to getting into my blood stream. My manager was pissed I called into work, when I returned I refused to shave until UPS got me an appt with "their" dr. I was written up for appearance failure about a week after being back(with little scruff). I got the Dr appt the next week, thus allowing me another day off.... and THEIR Dr wrote me an indefinite no shave note, I was the FIRST driver in my hub of almost 500(feeder and pkg) drivers to get the shave waiver. However, the write up for appearance stuck because it happened before I got the shave note.(grievance filed)
*paint target on back now*
About a week later, I was tailed by my manager on route.... caught me with my sleeves rolled up... I got a warning letter for appearance.(grievance filed)
A week later, coming into the hub after driving my route an on-road caught me with my top button un done and was issued a warning letter and proposed 3 day suspension.(grievance filed)
About 2 weeks after that(it was peak) I came in one morning with a black under armor long sleeve under my shirt....but I was wearing a UPS issued jacket, at exactly one minute after start time I was approached by my manager, which whom notified me I was out of appearance guidelines because only a brown or white shirt can be worn as an under shirt and was issued a termination.(grievance filed and harassment grievance filed)
I must note that after I got the shave waiver a flood of employees rushed to the same Dr to all get shave waivers, maybe 20.... trust me, UPS was pissed that I started the "no shave trend"
My "working termination" case went to local panel and was denied by UPS's current labor manager(which whom Id had prior issues with as a center manager years before).
"Working termination" went to Regional Panel 750 miles away from my home which I attended..... At panel it was all but laughed at that they tried to fire me over rolled up sleeves, a shirt button, and a black shirt...all different offenses. The termination didnt stick, not that it has an absolute chance in hell of sticking....
When I returned, with a better understanding of the appearance code... I wore yellow sunglasses, a pink wrist watch, and a necklace with a sharks tooth on it for a week... considered a bozo the clown wig but it was too itchy....
I only really wore that jazz in and out of the building to make a statement, even though it stressed my steward out... I helped pave a road to that made mgmt realize it could be worst.... No talk in the contract about what color my sunglasses can be!
I hope this helps.... it sure was an interesting few months.

I really appreciate your story. It brings me some confidence. I can see how something like that can reasonably happen. As with me, there is another driver in my center that has plugs but is never harassed by management! This guy is even on the safety committee! Funny how I get all the attention because I'm willing to speak up for myself and know when I'm being singled out. I don't want to bring the other driver into my issue unless absolutely needed. For me, it's just further proof that my manager has it out for me and is willing to do what it takes to try and fire me!

SouthernComfort

Youll be ok man, dont sweat it...During the same period they were messing with me there was guys out of appearance every day, at 1st I would say, "well so and so doesnt wear brown socks, and driver X wheres a brown hat, but its not a UPS hat" and all I got was the, "worry about yourself talk, like I was 6"...I know you dont wanna screw your fellow drivers over but harassment is harassment...
I used to be a NPC level bodybuilder(10yrs ago), which seems to attract me more attention by the fat managers that have little dick syndrome. In that lifestyle its the norm to shave your body...arms, legs, torso...I did then, and I still do. Our HUB manager made a comment to me the spring after all those incidents happened one morning, he said "you can shave your legs and arms but not your face, maybe we need to send you to an OBGYN and not a dermatologist next time"
Knowing how THE GAME is played, I asked him for the 1-800 # becuase Id like to file a sexual harassment claim, I felt un comfortable about the way he was looking at my body and the nature of his comment towards me. This was infront of a half dozen witnesses..... he was speechless and nervously smirked like he just **** his pants and hurried off. Seriously, victory never felt so sweet.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I can answer this question with absolutely the most amount of experience. I don't remember exact time stamps but a few years back I was getting really bad infections on my face from shaving everyday, I got a staph infection on my neck and had to spend the night in the ER because the infection was close to getting into my blood stream. My manager was pissed I called into work, when I returned I refused to shave until UPS got me an appt with "their" dr. I was written up for appearance failure about a week after being back(with little scruff). I got the Dr appt the next week, thus allowing me another day off.... and THEIR Dr wrote me an indefinite no shave note, I was the FIRST driver in my hub of almost 500(feeder and pkg) drivers to get the shave waiver. However, the write up for appearance stuck because it happened before I got the shave note.(grievance filed)
*paint target on back now*
About a week later, I was tailed by my manager on route.... caught me with my sleeves rolled up... I got a warning letter for appearance.(grievance filed)
A week later, coming into the hub after driving my route an on-road caught me with my top button un done and was issued a warning letter and proposed 3 day suspension.(grievance filed)
About 2 weeks after that(it was peak) I came in one morning with a black under armor long sleeve under my shirt....but I was wearing a UPS issued jacket, at exactly one minute after start time I was approached by my manager, which whom notified me I was out of appearance guidelines because only a brown or white shirt can be worn as an under shirt and was issued a termination.(grievance filed and harassment grievance filed)
I must note that after I got the shave waiver a flood of employees rushed to the same Dr to all get shave waivers, maybe 20.... trust me, UPS was pissed that I started the "no shave trend"
My "working termination" case went to local panel and was denied by UPS's current labor manager(which whom Id had prior issues with as a center manager years before).
"Working termination" went to Regional Panel 750 miles away from my home which I attended..... At panel it was all but laughed at that they tried to fire me over rolled up sleeves, a shirt button, and a black shirt...all different offenses. The termination didnt stick, not that it has an absolute chance in hell of sticking....
When I returned, with a better understanding of the appearance code... I wore yellow sunglasses, a pink wrist watch, and a necklace with a sharks tooth on it for a week... considered a bozo the clown wig but it wa s too itchy....
I only really wore that jazz in and out of the building t. o make a statement, even though it stressed my steward out... I helped pave a road to that made mgmt realize it could be worst.... No talk in the contract about what color my sunglasses can be!
I hope this helps.... it sure was an interesting few months.

Ummm, the 80's called and they want their shark tooth necklace back.....I wasn't aware that anyone but a few crazy Australians wore those things anymore....

SouthernComfort

Hahaha I know right. It was just to prove a point.... We can wear a watch, necklace, and sunglasses.... Doesn't say what color/material it had to be. I could show up everyday looking like Elton John and they wanna screw with me over a shirt button.