Discharged Today

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Supervisors are not trained for any medical issues. And that is not a requirement.

All building have first aid kits. These are self service kits only.

Management is only responsible to either call you a paramedic or drive you to a hospital. Nothing more.

Correct and that is my point. So the question is do you wait until a supervisors tells you that their calling an ambulance for medical help or do you use your own phone to call. Where is the line drawn. I carry my cell phone on me at work at all times, if something bad happens to me or someone in my family it is what I am going to use. I am not going to wait on the unqualified supervisors to make that decision or decided not to tell me if my family calls with an emergency.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Supervisors are not trained for any medical issues. And that is not a requirement.

All building have first aid kits. These are self service kits only.

Management is only responsible to either call you a paramedic or drive you to a hospital. Nothing more.

Someone forgot to tell them.When I first started preloading, we had an ice storm and my apartment was at the back of the building, below ground level. The driveway to the street was about 30 feet uphill. I tried, but I wasn't making up that hill. So I called them and told them my situation. They did the usual hand wringing about how bad they needed me. Told them no, couldn't make it. So, in all his wisdom, my manager told me to dump hot water on the driveway to melt the ice. Even as a dumb 18 year old, I knew that idea was far dumber than me.

Ignorance always shows itself upfront and in your face.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They tried that already. Fired an employee for swearing. The company lost.

The decision at the Ohio State Panel was that we work for a trucking company. Employees cannot be disciplined for swearing.

But there is a difference between swearing during a conversation and swearing at a sup.

It is OK to tell your sup that this m***** friend*ing package fell on my foot and it hurt like hell.

It is not OK to call your sup a m**** friend

The later is a disciplinary offense.

Yet, they are both true, no?

When I worked in the hub loading outbound trailers, a wood flap separating the two floors was not secure and fell while I was loading the bottom of the trailer hitting me on the head. Supervisor said take 2 aspirins and continue to work. 4 aspirins later and still a very strong headache, they would not take me to the clinic. Next nite, I called in sick. Felt much better after a couple of days.
Hurts like Hell! I've got bitten by a few of those doors.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
people come here and post a thread about being discharged and want sympathy and everyone to jump on the band wagon and yell "UPS managers are a bunch of thugs."

well sometimes the employee has a good case and was wronged and will get her/his job back .

sometimes they dont post the "whole" story, leaving out critical facts or just post some of the facts that will help their case.

we don't know anything about the real story. if this employee is a trouble maker, has a bunch of letters and/or discharges in the past. maybe the person is an excellent employee with the co. for 5-10-20 years and has a spotless record. we don't know.

but some come here and give us the story they want us to hear so they feel justified in being outraged even though they may be at fault. then they get mad when we tell them to grow up and put their big boy pants on.

part of the entitlement generation i think.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
How long have you worked here? 4 years...and you're just now getting that life isn't fair? Just because you don't agree with a rule does not give you the right to break it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Correct and that is my point. So the question is do you wait until a supervisors tells you that their calling an ambulance for medical help or do you use your own phone to call. Where is the line drawn. I carry my cell phone on me at work at all times, if something bad happens to me or someone in my family it is what I am going to use. I am not going to wait on the unqualified supervisors to make that decision or decided not to tell me if my family calls with an emergency.

You use your phone to call.

But if your hub bans phones, you need to go through the proper channels to get an exception. You do not just hide it in your boot.

If you had talked to your sup about your peanut allergy and the need to have your cell phone, I am sure he would have worked with you until you got the paper work filled out for the medically necessary cell phone.

And I agree that even if you have an allergic reaction that requires you to use your epi-pen, you still need to go to the hospital right away.

Anyone can say they are allergic to peanuts and need a cell phone. UPS may need a note from your doctor, and then they should authorize you to carry your cell phone.

Saying that you need your cell phone in case your family needs to contact you is not reason enough to trump UPS policy. A peanut allergy is.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Why?

Nobody gives a flying leap who Ace is.
Tell that to the KISS nation!
th

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.

Here's a rule of thumb I go by regardless of where I work. Just because others a are breaking the rules, does not mean that you do so. It will catch up to the others eventually. Just as it will catch up to you too eventually. The easiest thing to have done was to leave your phone in you vehicle until that form was filled out. Why didn't you follow up on getting that form. I would have. I would have even gone to management about getting it. Either way, I would not have let it go. I also would not have tried to sneak it in. I would have also seen the confrontation coming and been prepared to deal with it by not having the phone on me. It's a great way to make the guard look like an ass. If you really do have a peanut allergy, why are you not careful to avoid peanuts?