Disciplinary action for late air?

gandydancer

OK, "ride with" is not disciplinary action. I think there's some language in the Contract or our Supplement about how many times they can do it before it becomes harassment, but one time isn't. Not allowing you to sign to ride UNTIL you've had a "ride with" WOULD be disciplinary action and they can't do it without disciplinary process. Insist on signing the sheet, or get witness from your shop steward of their refusal to give it to you, and if they use management or less senior personnel for work you're qualified for, grieve it immediately. If they want someone to ride with you, so be it; coming up with that someone is their problem. You are entitled by seniority to the extra work and they can pay you to do it or they can pay you not to do it, but you are entitled to the pay either way.

Last edited:

Channahon

....but the big question is:

during all those really important phone calls will it be mentioned the air came in 30 minutes late? Yes

.......and why is it the driver's fault that the air came in late? I didn't state it was the drivers fault.

The sup constantly texts the drivers to see how they are doing. The sup sent this driver help, he gave 3 stops away (his decision as to what stops) and still had late air. The driver even stated he picked the wrong route, and had to make a lot of left hand turns. I think the driver just had a bad day.

So the question that will also be asked is:
We sent the driver help, he gave up 3 stops and still had late air?

Overpaid Union Thug

Again...a late air on a Saturday is considered taboo. A new driver is less likely to get reemed for this. Sadly, the response from your immediate sups will depend soley on the response they get from their superiors. That is how the cookie crumbles at UPS.

dillweed

Interesting and thoughtful responses, thanks to all. Yes, it was a bad day and several of our center sups just makes it worse. It's not like, "you are inexperienced in that area and had a bad day", it's more like "you suck, totally, as a person and a life form. You just suck". It's hard to take, even with seasoned UPS tough skin.

And yes, it's the way the cookie crumbles, the crap settles to the bottom and we learn to ingest it.

Steward says sign the sheet and if they use lower seniority employee I'll still get paid.

Don't mind a ride with as long as it's done with the intention to help and not harass. There are tricks to getting around town quickly and the sooner learned the better. Take care all and bless your hearts for being here to help. dw

dillweed

It's only fair to add that not all sups at our center are nasty. We have several who can be counted on to treat us well.
It just seems the a-hole variety seems to keep popping up when you least need the bs. dw

over9five

Staff member
"Now can deliver air at any time of the day and make service"

How is this "fair to the customer"? You just told him how to deliver an air late, and not have it show late. This is CHEATING the customer. For Gods sake, sheet honestly! As a company, our integrity is all we have. (Or used to have...)

Maybe I'm getting old. I hate dishonest people. There's a reason falsifying a DIAD entry is a firable offense. Just quit if you have no integrity.

brown67

Don't mess with DIAD it shows when you scan the package and when you deliver. If you have a big gap you will have a lot to answer for. Falsifying records is a fireable offense. Late air is a warning letter at worse.

Around here you need to tell your sup. if you don't think you can make your airs on time. Give yourself a cushion. If he tells you to "get it done" then go out and do your best. Communicate along the way. If its late its now your supervisor's fault. If we warn our sups. and then delivery nothing but air, and have one late then its on the supervisors. They can't do anything to the driver. Use two way messaging. Gives you a written record, so the sup can't deny you told him about air problems. Working at UPS is a lot of CYA.

rebel

Never have late air. Its unfair to the customers that pay extra for the service. Dont you know our company created loopholes within our diad for our benefit. Get out of edd, if your gps is enabled, go into delivery mode, scan the pkg(S), then put into pre-record, left at. Get a signature or deliver out of the pre-record screen. Do NOT go into the stop. Now can deliver air at any time of the day and make service.

I have been to several panels as a guest, this advice will get you fired because you are falsifying your records and it is dishonest. I hope all of you guys know better than this. You must follow your methods and record the stop at the point of delivery. Again, communication is the key, always let your sups make the decisions. If its late its late.

SignatureRequired

I have been to several panels as a guest, this advice will get you fired because you are falsifying your records and it is dishonest. I hope all of you guys know better than this. You must follow your methods and record the stop at the point of delivery. Again, communication is the key, always let your sups make the decisions. If its late its late.

My sup is the one that taught me how to do it. Get it done! No excuses!

dillweed

Nothing new yet; total silence on the brown front.

I know there are ways to cheat on air but the only thing I'll do is sheet the last one prior to delivey if there's only one left. Seems if I scan it the thing doesn't show up late even if I deliver it ten minutes late. I could have done this last Saturday on my next-to-last stop and only ended up with one late air but was so rattled and defeated from the day that it didn't even occur to me. I just knew I was SOL and time.

Some drivers I know stop complete pkgs before they get to the stop and I won't do it unless (and this has happened) the sup tells me to do so. Then I make a note of it in case they try to come back on me later. This has happened with places he knows are closed on Saturdays but what if.... Just one time there is a customer who opens for a special pkg.

I'm positive that some sups want us to cheat so they look good but would never stick their necks out to defend us if we were caught. Sad, isn't it. dw

rebel

My sup is the one that taught me how to do it. Get it done! No excuses!

You need him to give these instructions in writing or have your steward listen to the way you are being trained. A witness would be good otherwise your word against his. I have seen guys get fired for less. Just trying to help.

dillweed

I'm driving tomorrow! Might have a sup with me but good deal, free training. :thumbup1:

Was given verbal warning and took union rep along. I just can't say enough about the protection our union reps have provided all these years. Wouldn't have lasted a year without them and here I'm going on 15. The work is no problem but threats and lies wear me down. And those union reps go in day after day to fight the same battle, different victim. Bless their hearts, all of them. And thanks to all who helped with this. dw

tjb

The traning they give part time sat. air drivers is a joke.I recieved one day of training.It was on a saturday with a full time sup. and we only had 6 stops but a lot of drive time.My big worrys had to do with knowing all the DIAD functions and finding all the stops on a mostly rural route wear some of the streets are so new there not even on maps.The full time drivers get a week of training with 200-300 stops a day.Part time drivers are trial by fire.