Discipline and ORION ?

Climbingtheladder

We just started the ORION phase in our Center and I've pretty much been ignoring it completely running the route the same way as RDO without any repercussions except a few remarks about miles until a few days ago they start pressing me hard about it so I run straight ORION all day regardless of how ridiculous it has me running and still come back 20 miles over projected miles at 81 miles for the day and I hear the center manager wanted to document me and apparently I'm gonna have a good " talking to" in the morning they seem to be ignoring the fact I ran 153 stops and still got back to the building under 9 hours on a route that averages 115 stops my question is what can they do if I'm running over on miles still? Write me up? suspend me ? Ect?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
On one of the routes I do I just turn it the hell off. If I followed that thing I'd miss at least fifteen stops and damn near every pickup daily. I usually end up ten to twenty miles over but I haven't heard a word. Probably because they know how much of a joke it is.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
image.jpg

jamescasey420

Request a time study. 153 stops a bit much. Don't worry about doing your air first. Just deliver what you can get too. Ups can't fire you for being late, too many factors.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Request a time study. 153 stops a bit much. Don't worry about doing your air first. Just deliver what you can get too. Ups can't fire you for being late, too many factors.
200 stops on resi routes is the norm in my center since good ole Orion showed up

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We just started the ORION phase in our Center and I've pretty much been ignoring it completely running the route the same way as RDO without any repercussions except a few remarks about miles until a few days ago they start pressing me hard about it so I run straight ORION all day regardless of how ridiculous it has me running and still come back 20 miles over projected miles at 81 miles for the day and I hear the center manager wanted to document me and apparently I'm gonna have a good " talking to" in the morning they seem to be ignoring the fact I ran 153 stops and still got back to the building under 9 hours on a route that averages 115 stops my question is what can they do if I'm running over on miles still? Write me up? suspend me ? Ect?
What percentage are you hitting?

Overpaid Union Thug

Tell then to brown up and show you how its done. And to leave the ORION tablet at the center because you don't get that luxury when you're alone. That might shut them up.

If not then follow trace until you have to break for NDAs (and you usually will) and send a message telling them why you broke off. Then go back on trace.

If that doesn't work and they instruct you to drive a certain amount of miles you should ask for a printout that shows exactly what your trace should be (including which driveways to turn around in). Tell them you need it, or an ORION tablet, in order to know precisely what ORION wants so you can hit your miles metric. If they comply (very doubtful) then follow trace until you need to break for NDAs.

If they don't comply with the last (more than likely) and are still on your ass then you run it with ORION and when you aren't sure what exact trace is you stop and send this message "I need detailed directions on how to run my next 5 stops so I don't run over ORION miles". Keep doing that until they get tired of you and tell you to just run it the best way you know how. And they will.

One thing everyone should be doing is a full pre-trip and following as many other methods as you can. As well as taking your full breaks. If each and every driver would do those things then ORION would be exposed for the failure that it is and the metrics monkeys will have no choice but to back off and stop telling lies about how well it works.

Johney

153 is a bit much? What are you in the BOG? We have drivers going out with 190-220 everyday now since Orion was put in. Some are 30+ year veterans.

UPSGUY72

In order for ORION to work the EDD has to be set up perfectly if not garbage in garbage out. I turn it off and run it my way and usually am always or 85% and under the miles and under paid.

Some route you follow ORION 100% and you will be way over the miles. That not your problem that there.

8000Shelf

I go to my 1st stop on ODO to play their game, then switch to RDO through business and obviously

NDA's. Once I get down to resi s, I switch over to ODO and follow it about 90% from that point on.

It works decent in neighborhoods sometimes, just watch your back first exceptions.

I'm a swing driver so it varies from rout to route, but this method seems to keep them off my back.

Overpaid Union Thug

In order for ORION to work the EDD has to be set up perfectly if not garbage in garbage out. I turn it off and run it my way and usually am always or 85% and under the miles and under paid.

Some route you follow ORION 100% and you will be way over the miles. That not your problem that there.

ORION is usually a disaster in the good DOLs too. When my route is cut I often run a rural route that really doesn't need to be changed much but ORION will often make some rather hilarious changes anyway. It doesn't matter though because I rarely use ORION.

Last edited: