Discipline for driving with an expired DOT card

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Sounds like the company dropped the ball also for not keeping track of his next physical renewal.

It is the companies obligation.... Not the driver.

I usually get mine done while I am on vacation. I schedule it first thing in the morning and it generally takes about an hour.

Do you mean.... you ask the company to schedule it, when it is convenient for you ??

We don't get paid for our DOT physicals

We don't get paid to take ours either.

Only, if it goes over 2 hours.

-Bug-

UPSGUY72

We get 1 month notice that are DOT physical is going to expire. They also make the appointment for us before work. All that we have to do is tell them what day we would like it.

We also get paid 2 hr of straight time for getting are DOT Physical that usually takes less than 1 hr...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We schedule our own DOT physicals.

Yes, I got your reference.

You are reading too much in to it.

There is no chance, a driver could even try to schedule their own appointment.... here.

Just as.... having to go to upsers.com.... to print out their own paperwork.

Scheduling it (if it coincides) with the expiration date while on vacation....

Sounds better than going in @ 7:00am.... before work.

-Bug-

rod

Retired 22 years
I got paid for every physical I ever took for 30 years. If they were scheduled during normal working hours (ours were because the clinic didn't start seeing patients until 9:00 Mon.-Fri. only) they were to be paid for on the clock. At least that's the way it always was back when. I would never ever think of wasting vacation time to take a required physical but some did.

9.5er

We have to get our paperwork printed at the building and then go to the clinic on our own time. I've never been paid to get a physical.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our old contract says "Employees shall not be required to take examinations during their working hours unless paid by the Employer for all time spent". In other words if it is scheduled during normal working hours you get paid for it. Article 20 Sec 1 of the last contract I worked under. Our physicals were always scheduled during normal working hours. How's the contract state it now days (if you are even working under a contract)?

rod

Retired 22 years
Our old contract says "Employees shall not be required to take examinations (physical, mental or otherwise required by a Government body) during their working hours unless paid by the Employer for all time spent". In other words if it is scheduled during normal working hours you get paid for it. Article 20 Sec 1 of the last contract I worked under. Our physicals were always scheduled during normal working hours. How's the contract state it now days (if you are even working under a contract)?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I schedule my own during vacation. If I had to go before work or during work I would never pass the blood pressure portion. Barely squeek by as it is.

oldupsman

Our old contract says "Employees shall not be required to take examinations during their working hours unless paid by the Employer for all time spent". In other words if it is scheduled during normal working hours you get paid for it. Article 20 Sec 1 of the last contract I worked under. Our physicals were always scheduled during normal working hours. How's the contract state it now days (if you are even working under a contract)?

Me too. Every DOT physical I ever took was on the clock. And I'll bet it's still in the contract just the same as it always was.
But nobody reads the contract. I always had a copy in my locker just for stuff like this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I schedule my own during vacation. If I had to go before work or during work I would never pass the blood pressure portion. Barely squeek by as it is.

I made the mistake of drinking coffee before my last DOT. The top number on my blood pressure reading was 139. The nurse was nice enough to finish the rest of the exam and then re-took my BP---the top number had dropped in to the 120's in only 15 minutes time.

Ouch

I've gone in and punched in on my board. Their was a code for dot physical on the old diad. I actually got paid for getting mine. I had several buddies do the same thing and they got paid. The union if they are strong enough can get you paid for sitting and waiting at the doc in the box for a dot physical. UPS hated paying it but oh well.

Future

Victory Ride
I made the mistake of drinking coffee before my last DOT. The top number on my blood pressure reading was 139. The nurse was nice enough to finish the rest of the exam and then re-took my BP---the top number had dropped in to the 120's in only 15 minutes time.
LOL.....same thing a couple weeks ago....except it was my pulse...think it was 113... She said it had to be 100.....retake I was good

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Many years ago, feeders used to post a sheet on the bulletin board and had a list of drivers about a month-month and a half away from expiration. About 10 years ago, they stopped doing that and the driver was on his own. For some reason, I kept my old card in my wallet when I got my new one. The difference in the day of the month was about 2 weeks. I knew I was getting close, and I snuck a peek at the day of the month, and saw I had 2 weeks left before it expired. I was looking at the old card. They called me into dispatch at the start of my shift and asked me about my card, and I told them. No problem, I've still got a week on it. Oops, it was my old card and I hadn't paid attention to the year. I had been driving about a week expired. Well, I got hollered at, and I got the day off to take care of it, but I don't think I got a letter or anything. I made sure I threw away my old cards after that.

margaritaville

I was looking at my DOT and almost :censored2: myself thinking it had been expired for 3 months but it really had 9 months left til it expired. I was trying to think how i was gonna tell them i've been driving expired for that long. That was scary for a second.