Discipline for not knowing safety questions 100%

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

one question for you all...when ketter comes in do they ask the supervisors and managers these same questions...do they have to know this stuff word by word. It would be interesting to know if they have been quizzed also

They do a random sampling and, yes, supervisor and managers are subject to be part of the sampling.

some1else

Banned
We have had the same threat here a few times. Those of us that did reqlly poorly got to have a 30minute early start time and studied it with safety guy for 2 weeks. 10x60$ lol i scored about the same 600$ later. Not being a smarty pants i just can not remember stuff have had several on areas and always get good marks what you do otr is what matters.

Kman845

A few years ago, one night I returned to building and DM's boss was there, started asking me these safety questions I didn't know answers to. Came in the next day, my sup told me I was getting a warning letter for not knowing this safety crap. Spoke to steward, filed rebuttal, warning letter squashed.

A few weeks ago,Ketter was in building (I was on vacation), one of my co-workers texted me, told me they asked him these questions and he flunked. Sups wouldn't let him drive that day, he had to sit in office all day doing CBT's.

At least he got paid...... :wink2:

K

over9five

Staff member
A few years ago, one night I returned to building and DM's boss was there, started asking me these safety questions I didn't know answers to. Came in the next day, my sup told me I was getting a warning letter for not knowing this safety crap. Spoke to steward, filed rebuttal, warning letter squashed.

A few weeks ago,Ketter was in building (I was on vacation), one of my co-workers texted me, told me they asked him these questions and he flunked. Sups wouldn't let him drive that day, he had to sit in office all day doing CBT's.

At least he got paid...... :wink2:

K

Exactly. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone should be getting paid to memorize that.

(If it were me, I would also grieve the OT that was made by whoever covered my route that day).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that those who did not know the DOK were starting 30 minutes earlier for two weeks to sit down with the safety person. How is that fair?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that those who did not know the DOK were starting 30 minutes earlier for two weeks to sit down with the safety person. How is that fair?

It's absolutely fair.
What would be a better remedy?
How else would they learn it?
Certainly not doing it as homework.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In the Syracuse area, every day. I just remind them how they violate our contract and that they should know that 100%, but they don't. I am not sure how I have kept my job with the mouth I have. Mabey its all the 800 # calls I have made!!

ninefive

I just found out that the center managers in our building have been threatening people with termination if they can not recite the safety drivel with 100% accuracy!! We had a ketter audit Friday and apparently it did not go well, so every driver that was interviewed by ketter and did not do 100% was taken in the office(without a steward of course) and told they had better know the answers to perfection by Monday morning or they would be terminated.

Since when did having a photographic memory become part of our job description? I know that these are simply scare tactics by the company to try to get people to spend their personal time learning the companies safety drivel, but most of these guys will be so freaked out by the threat that they won't sleep all weekend and will probably stay up trying to memorize the answers only to go in on Monday morning and be so tired and nervous that they will forget all of it anyway. Not to mention that their blood pressure will probably be so high that it's unsafe for them to operate a motor vehicle!!

Anyone else had any of these threats thrown your way?

I am I full retired driver from ups and I also had to deal with all those safety questions for years. Even if you don't know the answers word for word but can explain the right thing to do on the road and to keep yourself from getting hurt you will never be in trouble with any sup. Knowing a lot about safety is not the worst thing in the world, you all might end up like myself and walk away from this co. standing straight walking good and being healthy. After all what good is an excellent pension if your hurt for the rest off your life. Please stay safe for yourself.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was told by a sup a while back that 100% on the Keter audit was going to be a "condition of employment" similar to a DOT card or drivers license. I told him to go ahead and fire me then, I could use a few weeks off with full back pay. I keep waiting for that termination letter to show up, but so far no luck........

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was told by a sup a while back that 100% on the Keter audit was going to be a "condition of employment" similar to a DOT card or drivers license. I told him to go ahead and fire me then, I could use a few weeks off with full back pay. I keep waiting for that termination letter to show up, but so far no luck........

I was told the same thing about sales leads...about 4 yrs ago.

castor915

Got a 7 week vacation for this myself... Just smile and let them do what they want.
reference tool.....
Articles 37, 7 , 52 control #02217N09 ruling unjust discharge...7 week back pay