Discipline for not knowing the dumb questions (depth of knowledge)

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Backing first and a backing first exception are not one in the same.

We aren't concerned about what the difference is.
I have 7 everyday.
I never bothered to ask when, why, and how.
They never bothered to tell me.
I suspect they know I don't care.

Last edited:

tourists24

Don't feed the troll.

Whatever, my point was that you can call it BS, or drivel, but the DOK isn't going away any time soon. You can hate it, think it's stupid or believe it is a conspiracy but you have an employer that pays you 80 grand a year and wants you to know it. One of the first things I learned 35yrs ago from an old Teamster was when you stop banging your head against a wall it feels good.
To some its not a matter of banging your head against the wall.... at this point in time, its a matter of if you want "me" to regurgitate it to you, then you will pay me to memorize it or I will get it wrong. Otherwise I will do my best to answer your questions and then you can decide what to do next

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
no ship Sherlock. It was obvious to me what the poster was saying. Do you have friends?

Don't feed the troll.

Whatever, my point was that you can call it BS, or drivel, but the DOK isn't going away any time soon. You can hate it, think it's stupid or believe it is a conspiracy but you have an employer that pays you 80 grand a year and wants you to know it. One of the first things I learned 35yrs ago from an old Teamster was when you stop banging your head against a wall it feels good.

The fact that the company pays me $80k a year is irrelevant.

The fact that the company "wants" me to regurgitate safety drivel like a trained parakeet is also irrelevant.

What IS relevant...is the labor agreement that the company voluntarily entered into that spells out, among other things, the exact conditions of my employment.

Last time I checked, the successful regurgitation of drivel was not listed as being one of those conditions.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The fact that the company pays me $80k a year is irrelevant.

The fact that the company "wants" me to regurgitate safety drivel like a trained parakeet is also irrelevant.

What IS relevant...is the labor agreement that the company voluntarily entered into that spells out, among other things, the exact conditions of my employment.

Last time I checked, the successful regurgitation of drivel was not listed as being one of those conditions.

The contract also doesn't stop them from removing you from the road to "retrain." You only get a guaranteed 8. Either way, it is ridiculous that they want us to robotically spew safety answers. It's equally ridiculous of us not wanting the best training we can get to be safe...not saying UPS is the best trainer, however we do have a pretty damn good accidents per miles driven record and the 5 Habits/8 points (5 now I think) of backing/10 point commentary do contribute to it. I will use most of it when it's time to train my kids to drive a car.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The contract also doesn't stop them from removing you from the road to "retrain." You only get a guaranteed 8. Either way, it is ridiculous that they want us to robotically spew safety answers. It's equally ridiculous of us not wanting the best training we can get to be safe...not saying UPS is the best trainer, however we do have a pretty damn good accidents per miles driven record and the 5 Habits/8 points (5 now I think) of backing/10 point commentary do contribute to it. I will use most of it when it's time to train my kids to drive a car.
It's ridiculous that they spend thousands of dollars training us and retraining the training, yet spend millions trying to catch us being human.

tourists24

Like I said earlier,,,, they've tried removing drivers here off the road to retrain,,, it doesnt last long. The drivers were enjoying the break. It ended quickly

menotyou

bella amicizia
Like I said earlier,,,, they've tried removing drivers here off the road to retrain,,, it doesnt last long. The drivers were enjoying the break. It ended quickly
Hmmm, off the road, no green light on the diad screaming at them, not being stalked by management, gravy jobs. What the down side, again????

A

anonymous6

The DOK questions are NOT dumb. The methods have saved me from many accidents and/or injuries. They make sense to me and probably save the company millions of dollars a year. That means more money in my pocket eventually.

tourists24

The DOK questions are NOT dumb. The methods have saved me from many accidents and/or injuries. They make sense to me and probably save the company millions of dollars a year. That means more money in my pocket eventually.
I dont think anyone is saying the methods themselves are dumb.... the whole concept of memorizing them and then reguritating back like a middle schooler or else IS dumb. It is possible to use know them and use them but not be able to spit them out when approached....

Or at the least if you want it memorized to pay the employee for the time spent memorizing. To go after a driver with 26 years of safe driving because he/she cant stand there and repeat the 10 point commentary back on command IS dumb

menotyou

bella amicizia
I dont think anyone is saying the methods themselves are dumb.... the whole concept of memorizing them and then reguritating back like a middle schooler or else IS dumb. It is possible to use know them and use them but not be able to spit them out when approached....

Or at the least if you want it memorized to pay the employee for the time spent memorizing. To go after a driver with 26 years of safe driving because he/she cant stand there and repeat the 10 point commentary back on command IS dumb
What's really dumb is using an audit dictated because of failure to maintain safe working conditions to target innocent drivers.

W

want to retire

It's so ironic to have the driver say all this crap while driving on a "safety" ride! Talk about total distraction! My mind was never on driving while this was going on.

soberups

(a) If I am involuntarily pulled off the road to "train" on reciting drivel, and a junior employee runs my route and makes overtime, I will file a grievance and be paid for that overtime. I can gurantee that the company will get tired of paying me OT to sit in the office a lot quicker than I will get tired of sitting there and earning it.

(b) I work safely in spite of UPS policies, procedures and expectations, not because of them.

(c) When its time for you to train your children to drive a car, will you order a $25,000 vehicle from the factory and then instruct the factory to delete the airbags, substitute manual steering for power, replace the 3 point seatbelt with a functionally useless lap belt, and install a low-backed seat with no padding or lumbar support so that you can save yourself $500 on the purchase price? Or do you care enough about your children that you will invest at least a minimal amount of money in basic safety hardware?

(d) When it comes to my willing participation in helping the company to pass a Keter audit, I will put the same level of effort into regurgitating acronyms as the company puts into providing safe equpment, safe facilities, and a safe work enviornment for its employees. In other words.....what the company will get from me is the absolute bare minimum that I am legally and contractually obligated to provide, and not a damn bit more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

(b) I work safely in spite of UPS policies, procedures and expectations, not because of them.

Are you telling us that you don't see any benefit in applying the basic principles of the DOK material? I agree that regurgitating it verbatim serves little purpose but I disagree that there is no benefit to be gained from their use.

soberups

Are you telling us that you don't see any benefit in applying the basic principles of the DOK material? I agree that regurgitating it verbatim serves little purpose but I disagree that there is no benefit to be gained from their use.

UPS's true commitment to safety is reflected by its actions in regards to its equipment, facilities, workloads, and time allowances that are provided for the work to be done.

Talk is cheap. The mere act of printing out copies of a commentary and requiring your employees to recite it verbatim does not in and of itself do anything to create a safer workplace. Most of what is in the DOK is common sense, and the underlying purpose of the DOK is to help the company pass an audit and look better on a report.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would say that, UPS's policies procedures, WORKING CONDITIONS and FACILITY ERGONOMICS etc. negatively outweigh the positive. In that way, we all try to safely navigate working for a company that does the bare-minimum for it's employees. We all work safe, be safe, despite the UPS negatives...

The smith system is a valuable tool for professional drivers, a sort of "foundation" to build on.

CAFAL

It really isn't difficult. It's no different as working as directed. If you do it on the road,it's not difficult to remember if you think about while you're doing it and you are on the clock. Take backing for instance. How hard is it to think as you are doing it? How hard is it at an intersection to look left,right,left. We do this automatically and the whole point of the DOK is we all get comfortable,and that leaves margin for error or distraction. I've avoided an average of five accidents a month lately, I've done this because of the methods and DOK and I think about them so much as I'm doing them, that I can recite when neccessary. I do it to cover my ass myself and not the union having to if it came to that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's so ironic to have the driver say all this crap while driving on a "safety" ride! Talk about total distraction! My mind was never on driving while this was going on.

Yep they have a new thing where they want u to get something like 75 hits in a minute or something stupid like that which is verbalizing everything u see. I put a stop to that quick I said your distracting me leave me alone.