Discipline?

U

uber

you're not getting paid by the hour to unload a trailer or make sure the other guy is working as much as you or question whether your work helps the company

you're being paid by the hour to follow instructions

Its not in my nature to half-ass.

U

uber

Zag, don't know what part of the country your in or how big your local or building is, but in Los Angeles where there's a ton of management with even 20 times as many employees. You touch, or swear TWICE! at a sup with intent or malice, you get fired. We know the rules. No stealing, fighting, touching or cussing at a sup or management personell. I'm in probably in one of the biggest, strongest locals in the country, but i have a feeling if this was an issue with an employee here and the sup reported it, sayonara. There's to many employees and the local is not going to fight a battle it can't win, especially if that employee already has a history of being a cancer and has a paper trail. There's to much of a divide between hourly and management in this big city. There's a respectful working relationship. There's is a line that does not get crossed though.

You should come up to the great northwest then, brotha.

We had a guy threaten a PT sup on social media and they pursued it and he kept his job. That same employee cursed a full-time manager up and down and kept his job. We have an article 22.3 employee who has threatened other employees and their families and even got in a fight in a trailer with another employee and kept his job. We have a sorter who used a racial epithet to an unloader and the unloader found him in the parking lot and worked him over and kept his job. In my 5 years at UPS I haven't seen any warehouse workers fired for good. It goes to the panels and they always get their job back. Its to a point that they sweep as much under the rug as possible to avoid situations they know the will lose when it reaches the hearing.

Dropping an friend-bomb wasn't my smartest move. But, to think that I need to update my resume now, is laughable.

Southwestern

They can't write you up and use it in case of future situations if they didn't discuss it with you and have you sign, or 'RTS'.

Atleast in my local.

You're misinformed -- I suggest you contact your business agent and educate yourself.

Supervisors are encouraged (and in some buildings, required) to complete thorough daily summaries. Many of their comments wind up in employees' files, and the employees are blindsided with this information should they wind up in disciplinary situations. The comments usually detail any interaction the supervisor had with the employee (for example, the supervisor could write that he discussed with you concerns about you not properly bending when lifting), any unusual observations (for example, the supervisor could write that he saw you use the wrong time clock to punch in with, that he saw you use the bathroom an excessive number of times, that he saw you wash your hands before clocking out, etc.) or any inappropriate remarks that he overheard.

The point is to create a paper trail to ensure that any disciplinary action ultimately taken will stick. Nothing needs to be discussed with you or signed by you -- the company will ALWAYS take the position that its managerial employees are highly trained, honest professionals who pride in integrity so thus if the company decides to terminate you for stealing time based upon a supervisor's multiple previous observations of you using the wrong time clock to punch out with, you will have a hard time refuting it.

Re-Raise

I think you owe the man an explanation of your behavior. Not because you are afraid of discipline.

You were frustrated at the situation and behaved like a child when they get frustrated. Adults learn how to express themselves to people when they disagree with them.

If you think you can yell friend-you to everyone who makes you angry you may find yourself a "straw"that is snapped off in the middle.

U

uber

I think you owe the man an explanation of your behavior. Not because you are afraid of discipline.

You were frustrated at the situation and behaved like a child when they get frustrated. Adults learn how to express themselves to people when they disagree with them.

If you think you can yell friend-you to everyone who makes you angry you may find yourself a "straw"that is snapped off in the middle.

I think you owe it to yourself to go back to the first post and work on your reading comprehension.

old levi's

blank space
So last night at work my part-time supervisor who tries to run me around like a rented mule moves me to my 4th different trailor in the unload in a 10 minute time frame. We have a good enough rapport, I don't really have a problem with the guy and tonight a culmination of things built up and after he told me to move trailors again, right after I just got into the 3rd trailor I light-heartedly said "friend-You" to him as I was on my way. Next thing I know he gets serious gets up in my face, puffs out his chest and says "what did you say?" and I calmly say "friend-You" and walk toward the newest destination (down-time trailer of course).

So as the shift is wrapping up I thought I would apologize and explain to him why I'm pissed. Instead of listening to anything I had to say he was acting belligerent and having none of it. So I said whatever and swiped out.

What do you think managements going to say to me tomorrow?

Why would you care what they say? You're a badass, right?

U

uber

haha, some of you act like your above ever snapping at a supervisor. Then again, I'm sure if some of you drivers had snot-nose 21 year olds with clipboards beings smart-asses to you it would be a completely different story.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

haha, some of you act like your above ever snapping at a supervisor. Then again, I'm sure if some of you drivers had snot-nose 21 year olds with clipboards beings smart-asses to you it would be a completely different story.

While you may not respect the person you need to respect the position.

I coached one of our preload sups when he played both Little League and Babe Ruth baseball. He still calls me Mr. even though I ask him to call me Dave. If he asked me to do something I would do it without hesitation.

U

uber

While you may not respect the person you need to respect the position.

I coached one of our preload sups when he played both Little League and Babe Ruth baseball. He still calls me Mr. even though I ask him to call me Dave. If he asked me to do something I would do it without hesitation.

Neat story.

Southwestern

You do realize an 18-year-old supervisor still in high school has the authority to terminate a 30+-year employee?

I've worked with my share of 18-year-old supervisors who act like, well, 18-year-olds -- anything but professional (and believe me, I've seen it all). But when these supervisors target employees they don't like, guess who management defends? As far as UPS is concerned, those 18-year-olds are highly trained professionals.

U

uber

You do realize an 18-year-old supervisor still in high school has the authority to terminate a 30+-year employee?

I've worked with my share of 18-year-old supervisors who act like, well, 18-year-olds -- anything but professional (and believe me, I've seen it all). But when these supervisors target employees they don't like, guess who management defends? As far as UPS is concerned, those 18-year-olds are highly trained professionals.

What part of the country are you in?

If I were you I would stop paying union dues immediately. Where I'm at our Union backs us till the very end and can get our job back every time.

Southwestern

Did you manage to keep a straight face while typing this?

There is no way an 18 yr old PT sup would ever be able to fire a 30+ yr employee and have it stick.

Why do you believe that? Why is UPS, in some areas of the country, replacing FT on-car supervisors with young, PT earning a fraction of the compensation their subordinates receive?

I've seen a 19yo PT Preload dispatch supervisor fire a 24-year driver, and I've also seen a 20yo PT Local Sort supervisor terminate a 29-year PTer. Both terminations stuck, although in the latter case, the "dirty deal" struck allowed the employee to return to work until he reached his 30-year and then immediately retire.

Southwestern

What part of the country are you in?

If I were you I would stop paying union dues immediately. Where I'm at our Union backs us till the very end and can get our job back every time.

Decisions reached at every regional panel disagree with you: the union absolutely does not back-up every employee until the very end. If the company can prove gross misconduct, the employee will almost never get his/her job back. If the employee's guilty of misconduct, or the company has a shaky gross misconduct case, then he/she will likely get his job back -- unless they're a repeat offender, in which case employment retention will be much more difficult.

In fairness, termination among PT is rare and generally reserved for exceptional cases (although the company's more likely to target high-seniority PTers). But there are plenty of managers with a zero-tolerance policy.