Discretionary Days Canceled?

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Any other sups have this happen? Our side of the center got a new manager this week. Ours went to DPS. The operations manager told us any arrangements we had with our former manager were no good now. On my belt I have another sup with me. He had a discretionary day for today I had this coming Monday. We were told we couldn't have them and had to schedule new ones, with both of us having plans. I think this was just wrong.

W

westsideworma

nope, never heard of this one though I've only been a supe just over a year so that may not be surprising (I've had the same manager the whole time). I don't know about that. I'd take it up with HR or wait for a more senior supe to answer with some better advice. It doesn't sound right to me. People from other buildings have come to work here and they got to keep their previously scheduled D-days from their former building...so I dunno.

I tell my FT supe when I want days off and I usually get them barring one of the other belt supes necessary to our center being out. I've yet to be denied one for any other reason than that.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Any other sups have this happen? Our side of the center got a new manager this week. Ours went to DPS. The operations manager told us any arrangements we had with our former manager were no good now. On my belt I have another sup with me. He had a discretionary day for today I had this coming Monday. We were told we couldn't have them and had to schedule new ones, with both of us having plans. I think this was just wrong.

Operations manager? Is this just the Center Manager level? I thought vaca and personal days were filtered through D.M.?

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Operations manager? Is this just the Center Manager level? I thought vaca and personal days were filtered through D.M.?

Not sure. Different centers seem to call things differently. We have 3 centers within out large one. Two manages, one over 2 sides. Then the part supes under those. Above them is one guy, the manager over all of preload. This is who I am referring to. He always wants to exert his power over everyone else.

drewed

Shankman
Why did you get a new manager? If it was under bad circumstances he could have learned of why and doesnt want to follow suit by being a hardass and pulling in the reigns on his sups.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Not sure. Different centers seem to call things differently. We have 3 centers within out large one. Two manages, one over 2 sides. Then the part supes under those. Above them is one guy, the manager over all of preload. This is who I am referring to. He always wants to exert his power over everyone else.

I don't really understand this so I'll leave it to someone on the "dark side" ;)

writer

Preoad Supervisor
I don't really understand this so I'll leave it to someone on the "dark side" ;)

OK, this is quite simple.

We have the whole center consisting of 7 loading belts. 3 of those are Metro Center. 2 are North Center, consisting of everything north of Metro and the city. We have another center which is a large suburb of the Metro area. 3 Centers. The Metro Center has a manager and the other 2 have a manager. The operations manager is over them and the whole thing, including unload.

The Metro manager changed. We lost our days and had to schedule them again. So said the operations manager, who didn't like the former manager we had.

outta hours

Makes me glad that I'm in the union. If UPS treats their own supervisors this poorly how much worse would they treat us without the union?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

We have the whole center consisting of 7 loading belts. 3 of those are Metro Center. 2 are North Center, consisting of everything north of Metro and the city. We have another center which is a large suburb of the Metro area. 3 Centers. The Metro Center has a manager and the other 2 have a manager. The operations manager is over them and the whole thing, including unload.

The Metro manager changed. We lost our days and had to schedule them again. So said the operations manager, who didn't like the former manager we had.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean so much I didn't understand what you were saying about the days, more about your operation. As in who brought the hammer of death to your days off.
If I were you, take the day anyway.
Of course there may be a good reason for the actions taken by the new manager. It could just be an ego-trip, arrogance move too. Chances are it's the latter, but it really doesn't matter. Take the day and stand up for yourself, is what I'd do. You earned it and maybe NEED it! (doctors appt, etc etc)

atatbl

Are your "center managers" actually what we refer to as full time supervisors? And is your "operations manager" actually the preload manager? Any easy way to answer this is to note if at about 5am-7am three different people wearing suits come to each one of those three centers. I have no idea why a center manager would cover 2 centers in one building. It doesn't make any sense... on the preload end there could be a good reason, but those would be full time sups.

Anyways, if I am correct about the different semantics here, you have a solution. Actually two. One, go to the center manager you know best (which I no presume is none, so we will stop this solution.) Second, find out who the division manager is. Ask for a minute of his/her time. Tell him/her IN THE MOST PROFESSIONAL MANNER you can that you are getting the shaft and wanted to take it up the chain of command and use the open door policy. Let us know how it works.

over9five

Staff member
Makes me glad that I'm in the union. If UPS treats their own supervisors this poorly how much worse would they treat us without the union?

Rep that! 100% agree!

You better just tuck your tail between your legs and do what your told, Writer. I DO NOT mean any offense by that, simply said you have zero protection against losing your job over this. Cancel whatever you had planned and reschedule with the approval of the new guy.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
I'm sorry, I didn't mean so much I didn't understand what you were saying about the days, more about your operation. As in who brought the hammer of death to your days off.
If I were you, take the day anyway.
Of course there may be a good reason for the actions taken by the new manager. It could just be an ego-trip, arrogance move too. Chances are it's the latter, but it really doesn't matter. Take the day and stand up for yourself, is what I'd do. You earned it and maybe NEED it! (doctors appt, etc etc)

It wasn't the new manager on our side. If all our centers used the same language it would make this much easier. I guess it is what you guys are calling full time supes. The Division Manager is over everything here. I am talking ab out the guy over all of preload. HE said when the other guy got moved, we no longer had any arrangements we had made, including discretionary days. We had to choose different days. Which makes NO sense. It is a power play because he didn't like our other one.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Are your "center managers" actually what we refer to as full time supervisors? And is your "operations manager" actually the preload manager? Any easy way to answer this is to note if at about 5am-7am three different people wearing suits come to each one of those three centers. I have no idea why a center manager would cover 2 centers in one building. It doesn't make any sense... on the preload end there could be a good reason, but those would be full time sups.

Anyways, if I am correct about the different semantics here, you have a solution. Actually two. One, go to the center manager you know best (which I no presume is none, so we will stop this solution.) Second, find out who the division manager is. Ask for a minute of his/her time. Tell him/her IN THE MOST PROFESSIONAL MANNER you can that you are getting the shaft and wanted to take it up the chain of command and use the open door policy. Let us know how it works.

Yes. But NO ONE wears suits here. lol Not even the Division Manager.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
We had a PT Supe go to HR about this same guy a few weeks ago. Guess what? She went right to the guy and told him what was said. Nothing was done but that. Then the PT Supe got called on it the next morning in our meeting in front of everyone.

atatbl

It wasn't the new manager on our side. If all our centers used the same language it would make this much easier. I guess it is what you guys are calling full time supes. The Division Manager is over everything here. I am talking ab out the guy over all of preload. HE said when the other guy got moved, we no longer had any arrangements we had made, including discretionary days. We had to choose different days. Which makes NO sense. It is a power play because he didn't like our other one.

OK, now that makes sense (as far as rankings). Take my suggestion. It will get you what you want. If you do it PROFESSIONALLY and maybe even inform the preload manager you are going up the chain there won't be backlash.

atatbl

We had a PT Supe go to HR about this same guy a few weeks ago. Guess what? She went right to the guy and told him what was said. Nothing was done but that. Then the PT Supe got called on it the next morning in our meeting in front of everyone.

You don't need HR to solve the problems. What you need is for them to do what most of us are too lazy to do. They document everything for much more important purposes than most of us have for talking to them. Asking the right questions to HR will, in turn, cause them to ask you questions back. This is where the game is really played.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
OK, now that makes sense (as far as rankings). Take my suggestion. It will get you what you want. If you do it PROFESSIONALLY and maybe even inform the preload manager you are going up the chain there won't be backlash.

Kinda funny, he has been told this. He is known around here as not giving a damn, and he doesn't. He calls loaders names constantly and no one ever does anything. He was walked out one time by the Regional Manager for talking back to him/her. He got to come back. Go figure. We now just let him talk and go to our belts and do our jobs and go home. LOL

atatbl

Kinda funny, he has been told this. He is known around here as not giving a damn, and he doesn't. He calls loaders names constantly and no one ever does anything. He was walked out one time by the Regional Manager for talking back to him/her. He got to come back. Go figure. We now just let him talk and go to our belts and do our jobs and go home. LOL

OK. That is called bat:censored2: crazy. Usually the company will let people like that stay because they do SOMETHING right. And it is probably important that it gets done right. In that case, let him push the envelope with other people. You really don't have much of a chance (as a PT sup) to win a battle with him, UNLESS he does something completely bat:censored2: crazy like hit you (or hit ON you).

Lay low, he will eventually piss someone off that holds a bigger stick than you do and can win a battle with him.