discuss: do unions promote laziness?

dc_sniper9130

Tailgunner
disclaimer: my personal experience is limited to the interal operations, i don't know anything about freight, feeder, or package car jobs.

There are no lazy workers at UPS. It's simply not possible.

you're wrong. there are plenty of lazy workers at ups, especially ones that have been working in the hub for a decade or two.

Maybe some union jobs you sit around drinking coffee all day, but at ups you are moving non stop as long as you are on the clock. Now yes we are the highest paid in the industry, but we do more by 1030 am than the common worker does in a whole shift!

generally, yeah, but people only work as hard as they have to, and even then there are some exceptions.

I don't think that the Teamsters, or any other union, promotes laziness but I do believe that some people get away with being lazy because they know that its damn near impossible for them to get fired for it. In fact, some sups don't even bother with write ups because they know that suspensions and getting them fired would simply amount to nothing more than an unpaid vacation (sometimes they are practically paid vacations if they get their jobs back with back pay) for these people. During my short decade (and counting) of employment at UPS I've seen these types of employees in three different UPS buildings that I've been in and also at two other union jobs I've had prior to UPS. So, lets just face the facts here.....unions don't promote laziness but they sure as hell don't deter it either.

+1, pretty much sums up my thoughts. and coming from management, that's exactly why i don't usually bother with write-ups.

mostly the only thing i have against unions is that (in UPSs case at least) some of the individual workers themselves tend to get kind of an elitist attitude about how they do their job. as big_arrow said, it's nearly impossible to get fired for something that isn't a potentially life threatening oopsie, and the hourly guys know this, so it isn't uncommon for me to see somebody intentionally not working hard because they know they can get away with it. once again, i'm not trying to badmouth anyone or any group, i'm just saying in my experience i've seen a mentionable amount of lazy hourly workers in the hub.

and before i get bitched out for what i'm half-expecting you guys to call badmouthing, let it be known that when i was a loader, i was consistently in the top five on the sort (of maybe 50-75 hourly workers) in terms of scans and misload frequency. nearly every day i would come down with 1000-1200 scans (lowest i can ever remember was 910 in two trucks), so i have pretty high standards for what i consider 'hard' work.

softshoe

disclaimer: my personal experience is before i get bitched out for what i'm half-expecting you guys to call badmouthing, let it be known that when i was a loader, i was consistently in the top five on the sort (of maybe 50-75 hourly workers) in terms of scans and misload frequency. nearly every day i would come down with 1000-1200 scans (lowest i can ever remember was 910 in two trucks), so i have pretty high standards for what i consider 'hard' work.

"SUPERMAN" this guy can do it all.

over9five

Staff member
Think again..... known of a few "lazy" UPS drivers in my time .... Believe me!!!

you're wrong. there are plenty of lazy workers at ups, especially ones that have been working in the hub for a decade or two.

If what you guys are saying is true, then it's the fault of a lazy supervisor, wouldn't you agree? I would say it's the supervisors responsibility to find a way to motivate their employees. If a supervisor can't motivate his people, he is in the wrong line of work.

deezilfuelonly

If what you guys are saying is true, then it's the fault of a lazy supervisor, wouldn't you agree? I would say it's the supervisors responsibility to find a way to motivate their employees. If a supervisor can't motivate his people, he is in the wrong line of work.
amen!! Whenever I'm told I didin't do something right, I simply respond "You didn't give me sufficient training." To which the reponse usually is "You don't want me to ride you." and that's usually where it ends..:wink2:

rod

Retired 22 years

Check your basic supervisor manual under Motivation- I believe it says----YELL-SCREAM-THREATEN- then YELL some more---do all of this while walking away pretending like you don't hear.:peaceful:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Good point Over and if the employee is unmotivatable (I know thats not a word) then there are ways to deal with that!

I my opinion most people can be motivated, it's how you choose to motivate them that can really make the difference.:happy2:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Good point Over and if the employee is unmotivatable (I know thats not a word) then there are ways to deal with that!

I my opinion most people can be motivated, it's how you choose to motivate them that can really make the difference.:happy2:

Friday is Hawaiian shirt day, so, if you want, you can, uh, go ahead & wear a Hawaiian shirt. Um, yeah....

LLTailor

Do unions promote laziness?

Sounds like a fallacy, if you see some people slacking either union or non union it doesn't mean that the entire group support or promotes it.

It's just saying: "Birth control promotes AIDS and other STD's! Learn abstinence!"

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Friday is Hawaiian shirt day, so, if you want, you can, uh, go ahead & wear a Hawaiian shirt. Um, yeah....
We know you made this up but most likely your inner self would love to wear a Hawiian shirt to work for the day.
Hey, now we're getting some where, if a Hawaiian shirt floats your boat then have at it. :happy-very:

upsgrunt

You don't motivate people by lighting a fire beneath them- you do it by building one within them.
Sorry I can't take credit for that, but I can't give it either because I can't remember where I saw it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You don't motivate people by lighting a fire beneath them- you do it by building one within them.
Sorry I can't take credit for that, but I can't give it either because I can't remember where I saw it.
I have never heard this one before but, I LIKE IT!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Actually from the movie "Office Space"

We have watched this at work as part of employee motivation activities.
Funny movie but it hit home a bit too close.

Milton wants to know if you have seen his stapler?
Office Space Red Stapler.jpg

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Unions do not promote laziness per se simply because in and of itself the union is an inanimate object. UPS itself doesn't really allow for laziness. The contract doesn't allow for laziness, the contract protects against UPS abusing our bodies. I do agree we are paid very well for the work we do. But to tell you the truth, we're worth every penny (those of us who don't take advantage of the system.) There are those that do take advantage of the system and it's more of a personal issue there with their character rather anything the union promotes. So in essence, you're full of crap and full of yourself for even thinking this is a relevant question.

Mike Hawk

I like it, sorta like give a man a fire he is warm for the day, light a man on fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

tieguy

Banned
Discuss: does being in management promote dishonesty?

your thoughts........

you know my friend I feel for you. so many anti management posts here. You can tell management really irks you to the point where you think about them constantly including when you are off work. As such they own your mind , your soul and your life. I don't go home and think about the guys that tried to rewrite the contract in order to file a grievance for free money. I don't go home and think about some pompass ass shop steward who tried to be cute and grandstand in my lobby at my expense. At least until I pointed out that it appeared he had written his notes on toilet paper.:happy-very:

You see discipicable character traits in management and let it fester with you. I see it in the hourly ranks of some of the drivers I deal with and I leave it at work. I see the unrealistic pressure to constantly perform to new levels at work and I leave the angst of that at work where it belongs.

You my friend are hooked with hatred. Its rotting out your soul. Go click on your name and go back and read your posts. You have obsessively sold your soul and spirit to ups.

Mike Hawk

you know my friend I feel for you. so many anti management posts here. You can tell management really irks you to the point where you think about them constantly including when you are off work. As such they own your mind , your soul and your life. I don't go home and think about the guys that tried to rewrite the contract in order to file a grievance for free money. I don't go home and think about some pompass ass shop steward who tried to be cute and grandstand in my lobby at my expense.I think you just did. At least until I pointed out that it appeared he had written his notes on toilet paper.:happy-very:

You see discipicable character traits in management and let it fester with you. I see it in the hourly ranks of some of the drivers I deal with and I leave it at work. I see the unrealistic pressure to constantly perform to new levels at work and I leave the angst of that at work where it belongs.

You my friend are hooked with hatred. Its rotting out your soul. Go click on your name and go back and read your posts. You have obsessively sold your soul and spirit to ups.