Discussing the UPS Automotive Department.

I've been looking.

In my area, Aflac will not give a quote to a UPSer. I asked why. The reply, "You guys use it."

I have been looking for supplemental disablility for 6ish years and cannot find anyone that will write a UPS service provider a policy. Seeing my shoulders deteriorate, I quit racing dirtbikes and sold it a month ago, figuring that I could not afford time off if I got hurt racing, then took time off to fix my shoulder.
My shoulder surgery recoup took 6 months to the day. Good luck.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How much is it going to cost UPS in worker's comp when guys that are used to power steering and a low step start working with a POS and destroy a shoulder or a knee......

The older equipment was deliberately designed to injure the driver and force him into early retirement so that he could be replaced with a new hire.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Overall I would give the automotive dept. in my building an "A" grade. They do a pretty good job of fixing what needs fixed.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I must add to this thread, I drive a 2006 Automatic P1000 and it is the biggest pile of ####. The low step is great, the high back rest is great, the fact that there is no gear shifter on the floor of cab is awesome, but thats where it ends. I drive roughly 180 to 200 miles a day and every mile is a chore. You cant drive it over 55mph without the thing feeling like its gonna disintegrate on re-entry, the WARN ENGINE light is on like its supposed to be. It runs and sounds like a life long smoker. Last year my engine blew up on the Freeway and went back to the dealer for a new engine, I had just gotten it and it only had 60000 miles on it. Now it has about 140000 and it has never ran worse. I have written this thing up religiously and it always comes back "Ok 4 serv".
I understand that the mechanics have a lot to do, but I once had to go to a seminar at the San Fransisco building for, along with other things, to listen to mechanics speak on the importance of writing things in the DVIR. This guy said "we want to be made aware of the issue ASAP so that we can fix ASAP, so we can avoid more costly repairs".
I like some of our mechanics but some are LAZY! If you really did order the part "parts ordered, ok 4 serv", then why are these parts NEVER installed?

King Arthur

Then do yours, You know the Pre-Trip you never or just half do? Do you know how many brake rotors we change because no one ever reports any thing on DVIR , Maybe I hear a grinding noise? The world is round.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I just had the rear axle on my tractor shift to the side. No biggie, it still tracks straight, so I will report it when the PMI comes up. I happened to say something about it to the automotive supervisor, while he was down checking on the mechcanic. He went beserk!! Red taged the tractor on the spot, and forced Columbia to send me another tractor on the hook. Not only did the fix the rear axle, they put 4 new tires on it, and fixed the speedo! Ya Hooo. The only problem is that I lost 5 miles a night when the fixed the speedo.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am in a different truck nearly every single day. It ABSOLUTELY drives me crazy when the regular driver does not 'write up' something that is wrong with their truck. They think it's not a big deal. They know about the 'problem' and have adapted to it. What they don't stop to consider is that they are not the only one driving their truck.

Last year I was in a truck that would 'lose' the clutch pedal when the chassis was tweaked. What I mean is that if the truck was in an unlevel position, using the clutch pulling out of a bar ditch, the clutch pedal would hit the floor. I suspected what the problem was so I told the mechanic to check the motor mounts. He looked at me like I was crazy but he did as I requested. Turns out I was right. There was a broken motor mount and everytime the truck chassis would tweak the engine would rock. Who knows how long it had been that way.

I've been in the trucking industry for a very long time. Most pkg drivers don't know what it is like to deal with DOT. I do and I am a picky bitch when it comes to that. OI, I'm surprised that you let let something like that go, thinking that it was no big deal.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
It had been that way for a LLLOOONNNGGGGG time. It wasn't going to get worse, and unless the DOT man crawled under the tractor with a tape measure, they would't find it. Plus, it is a BIG hassle to get a spare tractor.... They just don't exist in SC. They rob peter to pay paul, and you can't get a decent tractor unless you plan for it way in advance. The tractor I ended up with was a new International-less then 400 k on the clock. The problem was that the transmission woulndn't shift unless you used a sledge hammer on it, and the damn thing was so loud, you could hear me coming 2 days before I got there. The reguler driver was a smoker, and the cab reeked of smoke and tree air freshener. So I made the decison to watch it, and have it fixed at the next PMI. Of course, that all went out the window when the mech supervisor saw it, and forced Columbia to find a tractor for me.

bluehdmc

I understand where OI is coming from. The junk you know is better than the junk you may end up driving while it's getting repaired.