Disgusted Part Deaux

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not concerned about the hours i was just wondering if i should send a letter or not. consensus says no. I am full time what exactly is the difference between full time and cover driver anyway. Other than the fact that fulltime is guaranteed 40 hours.

Full time normally refers to a driver who has his own route/area. Cover driver is a newer driver who does not yet have his own route/area and covers routes, usually for vacations, and will run "extra" areas. Cover drivers work based upon seniority and/or area knowledge.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
I dont see how that can be the case when their are fulltimedrivers who have been drivingfor 8+ years and do not have their own rt. Please explain

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There are some full time drivers that don't sign up for bid routes. Some people actually like running different routes. So they are "unassigned drivers", meaning they work covering unassigned routes, vacations, and running splits. I have been on my current area twelve years, and it is boring doing the same thing day after day.

Mike Hawk

People have different meanings for "cover driver"(is it a P1 or a P10? we call it a P1), in my center a cover driver is a FT driver that has no bid route, they have the same guarantees and rights as a driver with a bid route.

A "utility driver" is a part timer that is doing a route/shuttling when there are not enough FT drivers.

I have been a cover driver (full time, don't do the same route) for over 12 years now. There is no incentive to have a route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been a cover driver (full time, don't do the same route) for over 12 years now. There is no incentive to have a route.

There are pros and cons to both sides of this discussion. As Scratch said, he has been on the same run for 12 years and has become bored with it. I have been on my current run for 5 years and like knowing where I am going each day and, if I have to get done early on a particular day, I can smoke the run and my customers will understand. I was a cover driver for several years before I got my first route and I enjoyed the challenge of not knowing where I was going from day to day. I would like to stay on my area for the remainder of my career as I like delivering this route and I actually bought my condo partly because it was on my area.

I am a full-time cover( unassigned) driver with 20 years seniority and I'm actually number two on the cover driver list. IF it should ever happen that no one is on vaca, or sick or comp or disability then I would be covering on one of the unassigned (training)routes. It's been many years since I covered a training route.