Dispatching NDA Savers in section 8000+

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can keep the residential savers from moving to the top of the list right before 3:00. Right after you download EDD in the morning push the "Commit" soft key. Scroll down the list and stop at every saver that you know is a residential stop. You'll notice that one of the soft keys says res/commercial (or something like that). If you hit the special counts key the menu cycles up and down from residential to commercial. This will tag the saver as a residential stop and it will no longer show up on the commit screen. You can also do this to commercial stops. I do that sometimes if I know that I'll be delivering commercial savers very early and won't be in danger of delivering them after 3:00.

Just a quick note to thank you for this helpful hint. I don't use it in the morning but usually wait until lunch and then go through my remaining air pkgs to do this. It's not a big deal but it is a pain when the NDA SVRs go to the top of the list. Thanks.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
These problems never happend when we had to sheet em on paper !!!!

The good old days, nda del by 12 and it was 1159 all day !!

2nd day at end of day

no 3days and no ''on call 'airs

browniehound

Your SPORH is managements problem, not yours. If they dont like the number, let them demonstrate a better way to do it.

The failure of PAS/EDD to reduce your miles or make you more efficient is also your management's problem, not yours. Its their system; they designed it; they implemented it. You are paid by the hour to work as instructed. If their system fails to meet their expectations then they get to figure out how to fix it.

By all means you should try to make them aware of problems and strive to be as effective and productive as possible; just remember that once you have made them aware of the problem, it isn't yours to worry about anymore.

You're 100% correct sober, its not my problem. I havn't been questioned about my time or SPOHR on my route from this bid of '08 which is a 2 year bid in NE.

If my sup. has a problem he can ride with me for 3 days. I'm sure my SPOHR will increase when he is with me, it will be negilgible though as I work as hard as I can by myself.

How can the SPORH not increase though? I won't be speaking with the customers at all when boss-man is with me .

So when you bring me in the office and prove that I did this SPOHR when I was with the sup., its fine with me. Just show me where the sales lead time is when we are in the office.

I bring up this point because there is never time to secure sales leads during a 3-day OJS ride. There is also no time to break 2-miles to do the split that is with you 85% of the time:angry:.

I know management makes its point most of the time during an OJS, but they never include the 'realities' of the world. I can't ask for a sales lead if I'm not allowed to talk to our customers!

I have also heard "If this didn't happen and if this person was ready, we would have 10 minutes of fluff pick-up time". The problem with that thinking is, this is the world and all this stuff happens! The problem is X customer is seldom ready and ships too much for us to tell them to hurry up.

This is Brownie's beef. All I hear from the sup. assigned to sales leads is we, as drivers, need to speak with all of our customers and generate leads and volume. Yet, when the sup is with us, he needs to prove his point about the numbers so we can't say 4 words to our customers.

My opinion is management can't have it both ways. Either we make our SPORH or shoot the breeze with our customers and secure sales leads. Which would you prefer?

I'm not against sales leads. I WANT to generate them, because it means money in my pocket. I will not make a fool of myself, however! If I feel comfortable with the consignee I am speaking with, then I will ask for volume.

I will never ask for volume from the receptionist in which only simple pleasantries are exchanged. I have in the past and the fake smile on her face turned into a look of disbelief and disgust.

I'm not a salesman, and am not paid as a salesman. I don't need that look and now I have to deal with that everyday I go in there. After this experience BD is own their own on my area. I will never ask for our business cold again.

Heck, its not my JOB! I deliver parcels. I have never been so humiliated in my life and will make sure I'm not ever again!

I have been driving for almost a decade. I know the fake smiles, but have you ever had one turn into total loathsome hatred because you solicited in their place of business?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If my sup. has a problem he can ride with me for 3 days. I'm sure my SPOHR will increase when he is with me, it will be negilgible though as I work as hard as I can by myself.

If you really want to throw your sup a curveball during a production OJS ride, just ask him to demonstrate the delivery methods he wants you to follow. Once he agrees to this and gets behind the wheel....pull a notebook out of your pocket and start taking your own notes. Use your watch to time him. Document every time it takes him more than 24 seconds to select a package or 7 seconds to enter the vehicle buckle his seatbelt and start the engine. Politely remind him of what the allowance is whenever he is unable to meet the company's standards in these aspects of the job. Keep track of how many stops per hour he is currently delivering, and let him know what that number is while he is in the middle of scanning a package or trying to concentrate on finding his next stop. Use his own tactics against him. Break him down. Drive home the point that you are far better at doing the job than he is and that he has no right to place expectations upon you that he is totally incapable of living up to himself.

Last edited:

upsdude

I feel bad now, I assumed everyone knew about the resi/com key for Savers.

DiadDude needs to come on here and give us a run down of all the tricks/tips.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I feel bad now, I assumed everyone knew about the resi/com key for Savers.

I learned about that tip here and shared it with the other drivers who deliver in committed areas. It used to drive me crazy to be delivering a residential section only to have 3-4 stops jump to the top of the list, totally out of trace.

I agree there should be a thread or perhaps a forum for DIAD tips.