Disqualified from cover driving

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you were DQ'd you will get another chance down the road. It is very intimidating driving the truck and doing the job the first time around. It takes a lot of practice and I cannot see any scenario where they wouldn't let you drive Sat Air.

My advice would be to drive a standard transmission during your Saturday runs. The more you drive the better you will get. Not many of us were all-stars the first time around either.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
During my driver orientation training, They had this UPS truck that had school bus seats in them. We would drive around and everybody got to take turns driving. I was terrible at driving stick and add in the nervousness of 12 people behind you while your grinding the gears. WOW I was terrible. Made it through and am on my 9th year driving.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
I would think that if you failed the road test.That would mean you wouldnt be qualified to drive the pkg cars. However you can try next year when they put a new cover bid list. In the mean time,drive a friends car that is stick to get some practice. good luck to you.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I think you would still be allowed to drive saturdays. As a matter of fact, it's a good idea. You can gain valuable time behind the wheel without someone yelling at you. Many times on saturday morning my cell phone will ring and it's the guy who is doing sat. airs. I always try to help him out with directions. I hope the drivers in your area will do the same for you. Best of luck. You'll get it next time, and in 10 years you'll be bitchin' like the rest of us.

UPSdriverROBOT

did you not say you got dq'd in driver training school? if so, you need to actually pass that class to drive at all. no saturdays brah, knowing how to drive stick is a necessity just as it is being able to put the right shoe on the right foot. sometimes in a pinch, when the Big Brown Mgt is a stressin' and they call upon YOU to get their air delivered NOW and there isn't one frickin' truck available but a POS p500 stick shift, then yer screwed for not knowing how to drive stick, so yer a$$ed out on at least air driver rate. bottomline, you've got to know how to drive stick. at our center stick shifts account for over half of our trucks. :censored2:, yer lucky to get power steering on top of it. go buy a POS car that's stick for a few hundred bucks and practice on that. that's what i've heard a few drivers have done when they first started.

stringerman85

Yes i drove ! we drive automatics on sat in my hub.

Yeah your DQ in pkg car means nothing for your saturday air, You can still drive saturday air...Just might need a little practice driving a stick shift because honestly you're suppose to be able to handle it, but it's not un common because i know people at our airport who admit they probably couldn't drive a stick (anymore) since I guess they somehow passed driving school with very little experience, which I guess u did too :happy-very: It will come to you, a little practice and you'll be alright

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
If you plan on driving full time in the future, your sup yelling at you while your driving is the least of your worries when you're trying to get your air knocked out on time and your businesses out before 5 while dealing with the load your loader shafted you with is the least of your worries. It'll get better trust me. If your saturday sup lets you, take the time to learn a 5 speed in the parking lot. It couldn't hurt to ask.

Re-Raise

If you plan on driving full time in the future, your sup yelling at you while your driving is the least of your worries when you're trying to get your air knocked out on time and your businesses out before 5 while dealing with the load your loader shafted you with is the least of your worries.

Agreed. I remember Driving school as one of the easiest things I have ever done at UPS.

Now the first year of cover driving , when I ran 15 different routes, 10 of them blind still gives me nightmares.

I started driving with an outside hire and a clerk going full-time the same time as me.

They couldn't handle different routes so I got to run everything while they kept them in town.

If you can't handle a truck with someone asking you questions you have no idea what you are getting into.
It might worh out for the best that you get a little more experience under your belt driving a stick if you can.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNYUPSer
Ha, ha, ha, ha--thanks for giving me something to laugh about on an otherwise forgetful day. BBAG is a 30 day wonder.
---------------------

Yes, but in his short career he is already in training to replace Scott Davis!!:wink2:
-----------
I assume you are talking about the day he took his shoes off and was counting on his toes. :funny: